Paid photoshoot - Magic Lantern to the rescue

Started by Andy600, July 01, 2013, 12:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

I did my first paid photo shoot yesterday for a couple who are expecting their first child. Most of the shots were outdoor portraits but some were quite active so I decided to try out the 50d because of it's fast burst rate. I'm used to shooting on my 600d and had some great results with it but the 50d has forced me to think more, especially when setting white balance. I'm not sure why but the 600d and 50d can both be set to the same temperature but look totally different with the 50d appearing colder.

I only use manual lenses so I relied heavily on raw focus peaking for the Live View shots. I also used Auto ETTR on every shot and it worked perfectly. The client is very happy and so am I. Thanks again to Magic Lantern!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ade123321

Hey there, thats good to hear. Glad the client was happy!
I am surprised and happy to hear that the focus peaking worked that well. I had trouble trusting it. I love my manual lenses but resort to the old zoom x5 x10 method but of course you move the camera when looking at zoom in LV. Switch back to VF and your focus could change with a thin DOF. An annoying chicken head movement is required!!

ade123321

And I remember doing some tests, using peaking. Then going to 10x LV to check the peaking accuracy and I could get it a hair sharper in zoom mode. Did you change the peaking tolerance? I remember there is a percentage setting or something like that.