[INVALID] Slightly over 1080p recording again?

Started by ChadMuffin, September 03, 2013, 04:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadMuffin

I remember in the beginning stages of this latest addition of shooting RAW, there was an option to shoot just slightly over 1080p and take in everything the sensor has to offer. When ever I do handheld or steadicam, I use warp stabilizer at 1% just to make the shot movement a bit more fluid and I notice it is always scaled up slightly to about 101-104%. I know you can zoom in 3x and shoot over 1080p but, I would rather not use that method when possible because camera shake is more noticeable. With those few extra pixels to play with, the scaling up wouldn't hurt quality at all. I know there are a ton of other things on your guy's plate and have no idea how hard it would be to include this or not but, it would be a nice addition again. Thanks for everything ML!

a1ex

Are you sure? can you show some footage to prove it?

ChadMuffin

I am confused on what you want to have proven? I may not have written my idea properly. If it is regarding longer focal length leading to exagerated camera shake with handheld/steadicam, I can give some reasources supporting that. If it is having a 16:9 ratio using all of the sensor avaible so it is just a bit more that 1920x1080, even just a little, it would help maintain some quality with scaling 101-104% using stabalizing software in post.

a1ex

ChadMuffin

Unfortunately, I no longer have that version. But, I do remember it was when you could select your resolution by horizontal and vertical resolution instead of the aspect ratio and one of the resolutions. If you tried to go larger than 1920x1080 in the older version, it said it maxed out at a certain number which was just a bit larger. In this video at 8:15, Dave Dugdale says he recorded just a bit bigger than 1920x1080 and scales it to 101% to match the H.264 version. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBDacTLTGxo Since the video came out Jun 5, 2013, I would guess it would be a build a bit before then. This is for the 5D3 model if that matters.

a1ex

ChadMuffin

Yes, which is slightly over. But, you could also go bigger than 1920. It is just a few pixels, more one way than another. The point is just a bit bigger to help some quality while removing some shake at the same time. Example could be: handheld shot with 1% Warp Stabalizer in Premiere/AE gives a nice "dramtic" look, especially for conversations. Not those fast little shakes you get with light dslr's but, smoothed out camera motion. You don't need much at all for gear to get that look so run and gun is very easy. And, time is always of the essence as we all know. There have been a few times where I wish the frame was just a bit tighter or straightened out a bit. This would help.

I will have to do more digging when I have my camera in front of me to give you more details. I remember it was there because I was excited about it an ran a few tests and was happy with the results. I do not have much knowledge on code writing and no idea how long or how difficult it would be to bring it back. I also know there are more important things on your plate such as MLV. It would just be a nice addition again to get everything the 5D3 can offer.

a1ex

You can record up to 1920x1280, FYI.

On 5D3 you can squeeze around 10 more pixels beyond 1920 (which is 0.5%, not 1-4%) if you also record some part of the black bars (which will be probably reported as a bug, and probably was back then).

Can you show the difference between 1920 and 1910 upsampled to 1920? I've tried it on a resolution chart and could barely see any.

ChadMuffin

It very well may have been a bug. I will check it out and see what I find. I'll look up the older builds too if they are around. You guys know your stuff so I doubt I will find anything you guys don't know or worth talking about. If it is only 10 pixels, I doubt even pixel peepers would find a difference.

ChadMuffin

After the black bars were taken care of, we are looking at 8 pixels. eg. 1928. Less than previously thought. Not really worth it.