enabling usb file transfer and copy to portable HDD while shooting

Started by dennisg9999, September 03, 2013, 06:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisg9999

I am using Canon WFT adapters on some of my DSLRs.  They add wired and wireless file transfer to a FTP server or a small group of wireless connections or a wireless or tethered PC using EOS utility or an external USB storage device.  I have tested several combinations of HDDs, SDDs and drive enclosures with and without self power. An external drive is a very handy method of saving data and not filling up the CF card.  I have been able to store RAW pics and HD video on a 1TB HDD with my 50D as I shoot.  Is it possible to enable this feature on cameras that do not have WFT devices?  For example, my 6D has wifi but does not include support of file transfer in real time via the camera USB port like the WFT devices do (they have their own USB port).  I think this is a firmware fix applicable to all Canon DSLRs and others with USB connectors.  USB connection from the cameras is to the host computer under EOS Utility control.  There are many HDD enclosures that can be configured as host but the cameras will only talk through the EOS Utility.  All of this started because ML unlocked my 50D and I fell in love with it again.  I am working the Canon compatible external HDD issues and causing headaches with suppliers and Canon.  I will soon post my test results that re still in progress.

arrinkiiii

dennisg9999

Camera USB may be a little slow, but file transfer to an external storage device is not enabled in Canon firmware.  The camera USB is fast enough using Canon Utility for tethered file transfers and is very useful for fine focus adjustments.  I am trying to find a way to transfer pictures and video to a large capacity storage device attached to the camera (no PC required) using in-camera buffering for secure backup not limited by CF capacity.

dennisg9999

My 50D with a WFT-E3A  attached allows raw transfers (single pictures) to an external HDD attached to the WFT through the .  The WFT is attached to the 50D through the multi-pin terminal on the bottom of the camera.  So the camera supports file transfers to the Canon WFT-E3A probably at the USB2.0 spec.  Cannon assures me of this.  The WFT devices allow file transfers at the same or different resolution/type to the external drive or over the LAN or WiFi interfaces.  There may be lags that are well buffered.