In theroy, is non-cropped 2K possable with new 1200X cards in 5Dm3?

Started by mannfilm, September 01, 2013, 05:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannfilm

If 2K is possible, I'm holding off on buying more 1000X cards

With the current 1000X cards, we can only get very short recording at 2K in crop mode. The primary issue seems to be that the 1000X card is too slow. And Crop mode is difficult and weird and not a client friendly  workflow.

How about the new 1200X CF cards?  Can this extra 20% get us into 2K land? Hopefully without crop mode?

t2scorp

there is a limit to 1920x1288 pixels in non crop mode.... so no... not even with an 2000x card.... just no....

Midphase

I agree that Crop Mode is not particularly friendly, and is more susceptible to corrupted frames  and other assorted weirdness.

An option is to shoot with an anamorphic attachment at 1920X1288 (3:2) and then stretch out the image to roughly a 2.5k resolution frame. In my tests (and the ones conducted by Andrew Reid), the image holds up extremely well to the horizontal stretching.

There are some new developments in the anamorphic realm that seem pretty interesting:

http://www.eoshd.com/content/11105/new-slr-magic-prototype-anamorphic-lens-footage-surfaces

RenatoPhoto

I use crop mode extensively for wildlife video.  With Lexar 1000x I can easily do 2K continuous recording at 23.97 fps.

For 29.97 fps recording at 2K I use the new mlv format with spanning and can get up to 5GB per shots.  It is pretty close to continuous recording!

Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.50

For non cropped it is not possible, but cropped is better image quality, ie higher resolutions
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

mannfilm

Rentophoto, I've read 2K was plagued by skipped frames. You're not getting skipped frames at 23.97FPS?

Midphase

I think it depends on two factors:

1. What do you define 2K to be.

2. How fast your card is.

P.S.

Renato might be possibly be writing to both the CF and SD cards simultaneously...so that would help with the write speed.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mannfilm on September 02, 2013, 06:05:32 PM
Rentophoto, I've read 2K was plagued by skipped frames. You're not getting skipped frames at 23.97FPS?

No skipped frames because I set Skip Frames = Off.  Therefore when it skips a frame the recording stop.

I am using Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 which records to SD and CF cards up to 120 MB/sec on Lexar pro 1000x

2K -->  2048x1152 at 23.97 continuous recording  Also possible with Alex .raw format at continuous recording with no bad frames.
2K --> 2048x1152 at 29.97 40 seconds recording

With a little more optimization it might be possible to go continuous recording at 2K at 29.97 fps!
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

5DanielMIII

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 02, 2013, 08:57:08 PM
No skipped frames because I set Skip Frames = Off.  Therefore when it skips a frame the recording stop.

I am using Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 which records to SD and CF cards up to 120 MB/sec on Lexar pro 1000x

2K -->  2048x1152 at 23.97 continuous recording  Also possible with Alex .raw format at continuous recording with no bad frames.
2K --> 2048x1152 at 29.97 40 seconds recording

With a little more optimization it might be possible to go continuous recording at 2K at 29.97 fps!

Thanks for sharing =)
Is there written somewhere how to try the new the MLV v2.0?

Is it possible to change content of the regular raw folder with the new module?
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 5DanielMIII on September 02, 2013, 10:28:21 PM
Thanks for sharing =)
Is there written somewhere how to try the new the MLV v2.0?

Is it possible to change content of the regular raw folder with the new module?

Follow the thread:

5DanielMIII

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 02, 2013, 10:52:59 PM
Follow the thread:

Do you find this better/ more usefull than the regular raw?
Have you tested enough to find differences? (If there are any concerning quality..)
I am thankful that Jesus and MagicLantern exist, because they both change lives!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 5DanielMIII on September 03, 2013, 12:43:03 AM
Do you find this better/ more usefull than the regular raw?
Have you tested enough to find differences? (If there are any concerning quality..)
Quality is the same
You can record faster, therefore you can take it to new heights.
Work in progress and hopefully should have sync audio someday.
Read the first post

ted ramasola

Quote from: mannfilm on September 01, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
If 2K is possible, I'm holding off on buying more 1000X cards

With the current 1000X cards, we can only get very short recording at 2K in crop mode. The primary issue seems to be that the 1000X card is too slow. And Crop mode is difficult and weird and not a client friendly  workflow.

How about the new 1200X CF cards?  Can this extra 20% get us into 2K land? Hopefully without crop mode?

Testing the 256 1200X cards on the 5D mkII, mkIII and 7D, they perform similar to the 1000x cards so there is no "extra 20%".
These cameras don't benefit from the speed and capacity of the new cards as they don't seem to support it well.
Also, when you format in-camera the capacity will be reduced to 128 gig.

I have been told that the 1DC or 1Dxx models seem to benefit from the speed and capacity. I can't personally confirm that.
What I can confirm is the 5D2, 5D3 and 7D cannot take advantage of the size and speed.

Im fact, in a capacity test I did with the mkII the camera will stop recording at around 128gig, even if the card was first formatted as 256gig via PC.

More of my tests on this card is posted here; http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Steve Kahn

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 03, 2013, 02:48:18 AM
Testing the 256 1200X cards on the 5D mkII, mkIII and 7D, they perform similar to the 1000x cards so there is no "extra 20%".
These cameras don't benefit from the speed and capacity of the new cards as they don't seem to support it well.
Also, when you format in-camera the capacity will be reduced to 128 gig.

I have been told that the 1DC or 1Dxx models seem to benefit from the speed and capacity. I can't personally confirm that.
What I can confirm is the 5D2, 5D3 and 7D cannot take advantage of the size and speed.

Im fact, in a capacity test I did with the mkII the camera will stop recording at around 128gig, even if the card was first formatted as 256gig via PC.

More of my tests on this card is posted here; http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

Ted,   I have a feeling these Komputerbay cards may not be Lexar QA/QC failed cards but acutally Chinese knockoffs of Lexar cards.  This is my guess because Lexar doesn't even make a 1200x card that one can purchase on the market - nor does anyone. 

Could you please do a benchmark write test on your 1200x using a USB3 card reader and a software program and compare the results of that to a 1000x card in the same test so we can really understand if the camera is a limiting factor here?

MA Visuals

Quote from: Steve Kahn on September 03, 2013, 02:57:53 AM
Could you please do a benchmark write test on your 1200x using a USB3 card reader and a software program and compare the results of that to a 1000x card in the same test so we can really understand if the camera is a limiting factor here?

+1

This is critical to gaining insight as to whether the camera is the limiting factor or not.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Steve Kahn on September 03, 2013, 02:57:53 AM
Ted,   I have a feeling these Komputerbay cards may not be Lexar QA/QC failed cards but acutally Chinese knockoffs of Lexar cards.  This is my guess because Lexar doesn't even make a 1200x card that one can purchase on the market - nor does anyone. 

Steve, they are really not Lexars that did not pass QC, I am not privy to know their exact sources but the way I was made to understand it is this:

There are only VERY FEW memory chip manufacturers in the world, and they almost all get from the same factory sources. Weather its Lexar, KB, Transcend,Hoodman, Sandisk etc.

They differ in their assembly and use of other components, like firmware, chip controller, etc. But what really drives the price up is Brand marketing and packaging and how low you are in the supply food chain.

----

I have a USB 3 reader, however, it is not the one compatible with the 256gig, when I did my camera tests with the 5dmkIII, the camera owner had a transcend reader which was compatible, thats why we were able to test and reformat the card to capacity of 256.

I can only do my test with the card in 128 gig state.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Baarman

Hi!

Ted, can you absolutely confirm that 256 GB CF card doesn´t provide extra capacity benefit compared to 128GB on 5dmkIII?

I´m asking cause I´m planning to buy Sandisk UMDA7 160MB/s 256GB card, but if the camera is not able to take the vanage  then I´ll go with 2x128GB instead (although this is ~200 $/€ more expensive).

Can´t find much about this issue in Google because those cards are very expensive and due to that nt very popular. I´d be very grateful if somebody could claim for sure or lead me to paralel posts or some links about this issue.

Thanks!

Midphase

Look in the hardware forums, lots of posts about large cards.

Dunno about you, but I'd rather have a 64gb card go than a 256gb one, especially after shooting for an entire day. I'm personally sicking to several 64gb cards since they're more reliable and should something go horribly wrong, the failure is restricted  to a smaller amount of data.