Magic Lantern vs H264 Green Screen Quick Test

Started by Dugdale, August 30, 2013, 10:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dugdale

Just a quick test of Magic Lantern raw with green screen for an upcoming video I am working on.

Canon 5D3 with Tamron 24-70mm.

The raw video keys a lot easier than the h.264 version, you can get a much cleaner matte. But the final key for both look pretty good.

Notice the moire patterns on ML raw with my shirt that doesn't happen on my h.264 shirt. Actually now that I have uploaded it here on Vimeo you can't see the patterns anymore.

Notice how much more detail there is with the raw version.

xNiNELiVES

Interesting test, thanks for posting. Keep up the good work.

AnotherDave

It's fairly interesting to see the 2 compared side by side, but I don't understand the purpose of this test?

Not that I don't appreciate it, don't get me wrong!

There doesn't seem to be an scientific basis for this, and you didn't share any information about settings.

I'm assuming you are filming on a well lit screen, and you are also a fairly easy target - in that you are totally in focus, and you do not have many fringe edges - to film. 

It would be useful to see a comparison using a green screen in an environment with wild light sources, or one that illustrates the difference between a proper lighting job and a poor lighting job.

The only real difference I notice is in the detail on the color of your shirt, and the sharpness of your face and skin tones... the edges look fairly similar.  *But it is hard to tell with the drop shadow effect and a textured backdrop.

AnotherDave

Sorry, I just noticed you said you posted it as a test for an upcoming project.

Dugdale

The test was to find out if it was worth doing raw for this coming video I am working, I decided that it was not worth it since I will be shrinking myself 50% and it is very hard to see the difference at that size.