[7D RAW VIDEO]Faster speed, if picture quality is set to sJPEG

Started by _7D_, August 30, 2013, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_7D_

Hi!

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I already posted it into the "7D Raw Thread" - but somehow it got lost there ;-)

If I set the picture quality to sJPEG before shooting RAW video, I get about 75% more frames before the recording stopps automatically, compered to "RAW (no JPEG) setting. But what's the reason behind it?

Greets
_7D_

_7D_

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

_7D_

Thanks! Is this a limitation developed by Canon, or made by ML-Developers?

AnotherDave

ML didn't make the buffer in the camera, so it's obviously an addition by Canon for when shooting sJPEGs...

Good find!

1%

Like on your pc, different programs use different amounts of memory. So sjpeg needs the least it appears. I'll look for some memory hacks, on 6D/5D3/M/600D there was a bit to gain from hacking about. On 50D not really so 7D is ?

Andy600

50D does seem to shoot for longer with sJpeg with recent builds. I'm sure it made no difference previously.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Yuppa

Unfortunately, useful info gets buried quickly here (and few seem willing to search much).  RE: 60D, this has been known for quite awhile (since May):

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5653.msg40488#msg40488
When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.

a1ex

The exact setting is camera-specific (e.g. 5D3 works best with raw, many others work best with some jpeg).

_7D_

Thanks for the answers. Yeah - I read about the "shoot_malloc" thing. But I still don't get the reason behind it. Shouldn't the buffer be as big as possible in every possible situation? Why is there a "software-limit", depending on the picture quality? If this is also present in standard photo mode - burst mode with RAW would definitly profit by a bigger buffer, or do I think in the wrong way? I see, there's a hardware limit. I would compare it to RAM. But how is it possible, that the limit is set down in some modes - like in RAW instead of JPEG?

I apologize for my bad english. But I hope you can see, that I'm not just lazy to google the solution. I just want to understand, why it is like this. I'm really interested in the "How is the whole ML system working, what are the software/hardware limits etc."

Greets

1%

so you're thinking like I'm playing COD, why can't I render out of AE at the same time. Shouldn't the memory be free in all situations. it works fine when I'm playing solitaire, etc.

Yuppa

The answer you seek to, "Why does the buffer do this and not this?" lies with Canon, so:

When you care more about capturing DATA, as opposed to WONDERMENT, you've lost your creative SOUL.