lossless compressed raw?

Started by dmk, August 29, 2013, 02:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmk

Is this possible? If not, why not? :)

Walter Schulz

?
Canon's CR2 files *are* containing lossless compressed data.

Ciao, Walter

dmk

Well that answers that, hehe. Thanks!

Doyle4

For storing yes..

Convert the RAW file to dng's, then use adobes DNG converter, make sure thumbnail is deselected, use lossy compression unticked and make sure Keep RAW data embedded unticked :)

gtsofilms

can't seem to select the dng files I extracted using Raw Magic, with Adobe DNG Converter. 
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

dmk

Oh I meant for capturing. I was assuming that ML was writing the raw data as some sortof uncompressed stream like DNG (without compression). Didn't realize it was CR2 format... though if that's the case I don't get why it can't be used as-is and needs converting to DNG?

For fun I took a look at the source for the first time today, starting at raw.c and raw_rec.c and their headers. I don't really understand what's going on, nor should I poke around too much without understanding... but I'm kindof curious what CBR_VSYNC and raw_lv_redirect_edmac() do... seems like as good a piece of knowledge to gain as any, if a dev wants to give a quick insight there :)

Doyle4

not just yet mate, ML are working on there own format as we speak, MLV,

Doyle4

Quote from: gtsofilms on August 29, 2013, 04:13:30 PM
can't seem to select the dng files I extracted using Raw Magic, with Adobe DNG Converter.

put the files into a folder you want to convert, then you select the folder in ADC.

dmk

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 29, 2013, 04:56:12 PM
not just yet mate, ML are working on there own format as we speak, MLV,

Ahhh, that's awesome. Though it looks to me like a general container format...

at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdHJraTVTOEpmNEIwTVlKd0dHVi1ULUE#gid=0 it shows a couple supported video codecs... I see RAW and a LZMA compressed flag.

I assume the LZMA flag can apply to any of the other formats... does that mean currently RAW data is not compressed, but there is a plan in place for the new MLV to support LZMA compression of the RAW video type, and that will give big improvements in write speed/size?

gtsofilms

ooh, interesting.  I just tested the dng to dng conversion and my original files shrunk from 3.7 MB per file to 2.1 MB.  And this is best for storage?
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

Doyle4

i convert using ADC to allow more space on hdd yes :)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 31, 2013, 12:23:02 PM
i convert using ADC to allow more space on hdd yes :)

It is fast wend converting the dng's with ADC?

flofifull

I discovered raw video with the 7D recently. First, I used Adobe Camera Raw for grading DNG files but in the future I will use Cineform Raw for sure. The color grading requires other tools and is slightly different but I have excellent results with the Cineform codec raw after a few days of practice. In FilmScan 1, the ratio is between 1/6th to 1/10th compared to DNG raw files. I struggled a bit to find the highlight recovery function but it is possible. I'll try to post some examples when I have time.

Doyle4

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 31, 2013, 12:27:01 PM
It is fast wend converting the dng's with ADC?

Depends on spec of computer, the faster your computer the faster the encode, iv encoded on my MBP [email protected] ghz and encodes around 1000frames in 2/3mins

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 31, 2013, 09:00:58 PM
Depends on spec of computer, the faster your computer the faster the encode, iv encoded on my MBP [email protected] ghz and encodes around 1000frames in 2/3mins

Same processor, i think the speed is ok.  Need to try out and see the quality that cam out from ADC. Thanks Doyle4  :D

@flofifull

Waiting for that  :D