Dual ISO and VAF filter test.

Started by noisyboy, August 27, 2013, 05:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Hey guys! Noticed another test that demonstrates this pretty well here but wanted to do my own tests to see how well this works on a camera that has bad moire and aliasing issues like the 6D.

This is an extreme demonstration of the effect the Mosaic Engineering filter can have on footage shot with the Dual ISO feature of Magic Lantern Raw in terms of combating the increased Moire and Aliasing that comes with shooting with it.

Some things worth pointing out:

I shot at 100/1600 iso as the more distance between your upper and lower iso values the more aliasing and moire will appear so I wanted to really push it to see how much the filter would help. My findings were that it helps a LOT but doesn't rid the image of moire entirely when shot at this level. I think that it would could get close to being pretty damn usable if you split the iso's at a lower range (ie. 100/400) and I actually shot some stuff yesterday in which I can't notice any but had no way of comparing before and after due to not having the thing to remove the filter with me and not wanting to mess it up. I will do some real world testing and see how much it can help. The 6D is pretty bad with moire and aliasing in raw anyway and this filter works miracles on just straight raw with no dual iso (pretty much gets rid of ALL of it).

I'm currently at work but I'll upload the DNG sequences shortly so you can see for yourself how much of a difference it makes.

Cheers big ears  8)

jayzed