5D2 Raw Video Resolution and Playback ?

Started by NitromanX, August 26, 2013, 11:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi !

What is the best video resolution when recording raw video on Canon 5D2 ?

I see options for 1880 or 1872 for full HD - is one better than the other ?

Also - what is the best way to playback the raw video in camera ? The default playback function is slow due to slow frame rate - is this the best way to view what i've just recorded on camera or am i best to dial in different settings ?

Advice would be greatly appreciated ...  ;)

bnvm

The will be almost no difference it terms of quality, I seriously doubt anyone here could tell the difference between the two visually when scale up to 1920 or even 1872 scaled up to 1880. The 1880 option only works for the MKII and is somewhat non standard in that it is not in the nightly builds only in those by a.d. Once raw video is officially ported into ML it may not even be there since it doesn't seem to work on any other model. I would recommend 1872 since it will remain in ML, it is slightly more efficient to when writing to the card not only because its a little smaller but the fact that it is evenly divisible by 16 makes it computationally more efficient for ML, and lastly some compressors require image widths that are evenly divisible by 16 to function properly if you ever wanted to write out a movie at 1872 rather than up-scaling.

Playback in camera is not realtime, BW and low resolution. I don't think there is anything that you can do about that right now, maybe the dev's will come up with something clever to make the playback smoother.

NitromanX

Thanks so much bnvm - incredibly precise and helpful answer !  ;) :D ;D

xNiNELiVES

I still think that an option for 1880 should be allowed even in the final versions of ML.

reddeercity

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 26, 2013, 09:50:31 PM
I still think that an option for 1880 should be allowed even in the final versions of ML.
I Agree,  :)
I think All Frame Sizes should be included in the release
Standard & Non Standard