Start Intervalometer after more than 8h

Started by finges, August 26, 2013, 10:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finges

Hello,

is it possible to up the limit for the "Start after" function in the Intervalometer tab to more than 8h?

Another take on this would be like on some nikon cams, to use a actual starting time, for example set the starting point for the intervalometer to 9:10pm etc.

Best regards
finges

a1ex

The battery won't last that much.

Will be easy once the scripting support gets sorted.

finges

Ok, thanks. I'm aware of the battery issue ... but it still can be useful with an additional battery or a psu.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 26, 2013, 10:35:17 PM
The battery won't last that much.

Did you actually try that? Single digic and newer cameras like 60d are very energy efficient and I'd expect them to last longer than 8h even with a ml task in the background - or are there probably ways to make ml draw less power if only the intervalometer delay task is active?

Still, the comment with a battery grip & two batteries sounds might obsolete the limit 8h limit, you can just add a warning to the menu item about the battery usage and then let the users decide if they'll try it anyway, this is really not another "more than 9 brackets" request but more reasonable. And scripting the very exact same thing just to reach 9h+ seems duplication to me.

Audionut

Say you can get it to last 8hrs powered on.  How much juice do you think would be left for taking the actual photos, after this extended period of idle time?

a1ex

Look in Debug menu, it estimates how much it will last. On 60D it's quite precise.

ML disables power saving (otherwise the tasks would only wake up on button presses if the display is off). Feel free to investigate ;)

edit: read the FAQ, with plain Canon firmware it will last 20 hours, with ML only 10.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on August 29, 2013, 10:26:57 AM
Look in Debug menu, it estimates how much it will last. On 60D it's quite precise.

Wupps, I missed that, thanks, I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

edit: read the FAQ, with plain Canon firmware it will last 20 hours, with ML only 10.

10 is more than 8 in the menu :-> ... and with a battery grip a lot of people have nowadays it'll be 20 - so maybe that'd be the max. entry in the intervalometer menu. Not that it matters that much for a lot of people, but here was a request, so just sayin'

ML disables power saving (otherwise the tasks would only wake up on button presses if the display is off). Feel free to investigate ;)

Well, that's a real pitty, but if you people didn't find a way around this I certainly won't :-p ... but you never know,  miracles do happen, see the recent raw features.

finges

Quote from: Audionut on August 29, 2013, 10:26:35 AM
Say you can get it to last 8hrs powered on.  How much juice do you think would be left for taking the actual photos, after this extended period of idle time?
tried it, after 8h the (original) battery lasted for around 40 photos.

i now got a psu and would be very happy if you, a1ex, can up the limit.