Zoom H6 automatic rec start signal from Camera when recording raw feature.

Started by Markus, August 25, 2013, 11:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

Im dreaming here but what if we could send a start record signal from the camera to the remote input on the new H6 Zoom. It would be a killer feature for those how own a H6. It would simplify sync and almost make internal audio recording abundant. Could this be possible?

For the moment we have this non optimal but working solution.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Markus on August 25, 2013, 11:43:42 PM
Im dreaming here but what if we could send a start record signal from the camera to the remote input on the new H6 Zoom. It would be a killer feature for those how own a H6. It would simplify sync and almost make internal audio recording abundant. Could this be possible?

I was speculating this a while ago, I don't know if anyone responded to the comment.

Markus

Maybe it would be possible to analyze the signal from the zoom remote and figure out what kind of signal needs to be sent. Or maybe zoom them self would be willing to provide info to help with such an endeavor.

SDX

Chances are good. How do you trigger the H6 externally? Is there a 2.5mm jack for the trigger as on many DSLRs?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: SDX on August 25, 2013, 11:56:16 PM
Chances are good. How do you trigger the H6 externally? Is there a 2.5mm jack for the trigger as on many DSLRs?

First off lets stop speculating on a product that hasn't been released and look at the long released previous H4N.

Markus

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 26, 2013, 01:30:16 AM
First off lets stop speculating on a product that hasn't been released and look at the long released previous H4N.

But it is released =D, I own one as of a couple of weeks ago. Of Course a trigger for the H4n would be nice as well.

This is what the remote looks like:

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Markus on August 26, 2013, 02:35:41 AM
But it is released =D, I own one as of a couple of weeks ago. Of Course a trigger for the H4n would be nice as well.

It has?! I've been looking at this for a while I don't know how I could have missed it. Anyways yes, this would be an extremely useful feature. No more sync beep required! This would kill all the audio cravers. You could just suggest them to this. Probably a better solution than fixing audio syncing and write speed saturation issues.

jc

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 26, 2013, 03:39:43 AM
this would be an extremely useful feature. No more sync beep required!

might be quite a cool option.. you could probably use a cheep wireless, bluetooth or otherwise, to send the sync signal to the zoom.. maybe £40 / $60 per camera! and a full wirless sync solution! tho if you can, the v2 magic lantern format may fix many of these things when it arrives!

bashi

This feature would be really nice!

On this site are the needed signals listed:

http://marcuswolschon.blogspot.de/2012/04/easterhegg-basel-2012.html

"The protocoll is RS232 at 3.3V with 2400bps 8n1
The remote sends 2 sequences of 2 bytes with a small delay:
Record: 0x81 0x00 | 0x80 0x00
Play:   0x82 0x00 | 0x80 0x00
Stop:   0x84 0x00 | 0x80 0x00
ffwd:   0x88 0x00 | 0x80 0x00
rwd:    0x90 0x00 | 0x80 0x00
vol+:   0x80 0x08 | 0x80 0x00
vol-:   0x80 0x10 | 0x80 0x00
rec+:   0x80 0x20 | 0x80 0x00
rec-:   0x80 0x40 | 0x80 0x00
mic :   0x80 0x01 | 0x80 0x00
ch1 :   0x80 0x02 | 0x80 0x00
ch2 :   0x80 0x04 | 0x80 0x00"

Markus

That looks great! :D Could you output a signal like that from the headphones out or usb?

ted ramasola

I would like to see this being developed also. I hope the H6 and H4n has the same triggers via remote so I can use my H4n for this.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

SDX

Okay, then, here you go:

1. For the hackers:

a) Use the hpress module (you'll find it somewhere here) to trigger video recording via half-press.
b) Connect a 2.5mm jack (on some cameras, on others it might be the special trigger-connector) on the camera. The first line is GND, second is half-press and gets pulled low when half-press button is being pressed. The last is full-press, we don't need that.
c) Use an Arduino to measure if half-press is low. For simple purposes, just connect it to a digital pin and do some digitalRead. For the more advanced users: use external interrupts, that should allow lower delays.
d) Now get a 2.5mm jack (I think the jack on the Zoom is 2.5mm) with 4 lines. I don't know the order, but I think the 4 are: Vcc, GND, RX, TX.
e) Connect correctly, check if voltages differ (It might be everything, most likely 1.8, 3.3 or 5V). If voltages aren't the same between Arduino and Zoom, you'll have to use level shifters. Now a record message can be send to the Zoom. Done.
e) Optimize the circuit by using some ATtinys instead, start a kickstarter and get rich.

2. For the rest of us
a) wait for 1.e

EDIT: it's 3.3V - luckily ATs run that stuff
EDIT: also: the other way around is also possible: make the zoom start video recording. It certainly sends a message when starting. Pulling the half press low causes the camera to record as well (when the hpress module is loaded, off course).

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: SDX on August 27, 2013, 03:20:30 AM
Okay, then, here you go:

1. For the hackers:

a) Use the hpress module (you'll find it somewhere here) to trigger video recording via half-press.
b) Connect a 2.5mm jack (on some cameras, on others it might be the special trigger-connector) on the camera. The first line is GND, second is half-press and gets pulled low when half-press button is being pressed. The last is full-press, we don't need that.
c) Use an Arduino to measure if half-press is low. For simple purposes, just connect it to a digital pin and do some digitalRead. For the more advanced users: use external interrupts, that should allow lower delays.
d) Now get a 2.5mm jack (I think the jack on the Zoom is 2.5mm) with 4 lines. I don't know the order, but I think the 4 are: Vcc, GND, RX, TX.
e) Connect correctly, check if voltages differ (It might be everything, most likely 1.8, 3.3 or 5V). If voltages aren't the same between Arduino and Zoom, you'll have to use level shifters. Now a record message can be send to the Zoom. Done.
e) Optimize the circuit by using some ATtinys instead, start a kickstarter and get rich.

2. For the rest of us
a) wait for 1.e

EDIT: it's 3.3V - luckily ATs run that stuff
EDIT: also: the other way around is also possible: make the zoom start video recording. It certainly sends a message when starting. Pulling the half press low causes the camera to record as well (when the hpress module is loaded, off course).

Can't we just use the dedicated video start button for the newer cameras and the set button for the older cameras (5D2)?

SDX

The half- and full-press button is wired directly to the trigger jack, that's why we can read and set the state of the button externally. None of the other buttons can do this.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: SDX on August 27, 2013, 01:30:30 PM
The half- and full-press button is wired directly to the trigger jack, that's why we can read and set the state of the button externally. None of the other buttons can do this.

Ok, makes sense.

bumkicho

Midphase

I really doubt that this would have the frame-accurate functionality that it would need to truly be useful. If you still have to manually sync the audio in post...what's the point?

Rather, let's hope that the built-in audio functionality is restored soon to ML so that auto-syncing using Pluraleyes or the Premiere Pro equivalent is once again an option.

Markus

Even without sync it would be extreamly helpfull in many situations. Its easy to forget both buttons in the heat of the moment and if the length times are about the same it would be much easyer to pare upp clips if you record a lot of them. Adjusting sync will also be simpefyed when its only a couple of frames that differs. 

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Midphase on August 29, 2013, 06:59:38 PM
I really doubt that this would have the frame-accurate functionality that it would need to truly be useful. If you still have to manually sync the audio in post...what's the point?

Well wouldn't it be possible to have have any syncing issues because the audio clip would be the exact same duration as the video clip?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Markus on August 30, 2013, 02:52:11 PM
Even without sync it would be extreamly helpfull in many situations. Its easy to forget both buttons in the heat of the moment and if the length times are about the same it would be much easyer to pare upp clips if you record a lot of them. Adjusting sync will also be simpefyed when its only a couple of frames that differs.
+1
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Markus

To start with I guess you would need one of these.

I have also checked that the H4n start stop signal and the H6 remote start stop signal is the same so if we get this to work it will work on both =)

hkarlsen

BUMP! Yes, this really would be an amazing setup. Lets face it, even with audio working again on RAW, its not hi-fi going on inside the DSLRs. External sound is still the better option

SteveScout

Hey, have you read this thread?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9306.0

Looks like Markus figured it out, but this seems to work only on the new H6 since the autostart feature (begin recording on a certain input level) seems not to be available at the older H4n. I checked my manual and could not find it anywhere ...

Steffen

Markus

It works but you have to stop it manually and then press it one more time so it is listening for the next record signal from the camera.

SteveScout

Yeah, but that´s okay and the best solution so far. Will definitely buy a H6n for christmas then to have sync audio with less manual work.