Zoom H6 automatic rec start signal from Camera when recording raw feature.

Started by Markus, August 25, 2013, 11:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markus

I've pitched the other idea for an electrical engineer with c++ skills see if he takes the bait =P.

Baarman

mixmastermike

Hi, I'm no expert on this, but I was just playing about with my 5d mkiii using the MLV and MLV_SND module.

Would it be possible to trigger the Zoom H6 recorder from the internal mic now that we have sound?

As I say I'm no expert but Im happy to try ideas out and feedback results.

Markus

Quote from: mixmastermike on February 22, 2014, 01:03:37 AM
Hi, I'm no expert on this, but I was just playing about with my 5d mkiii using the MLV and MLV_SND module.

Would it be possible to trigger the Zoom H6 recorder from the internal mic now that we have sound?

As I say I'm no expert but Im happy to try ideas out and feedback results.

You need a kinda consistent level on the signal to keep alive recording on the H6 and you need the signal to start when recording starts. The monitoring sound goes out regardless of if the camera is recording och idle in live view. Have not tryed to use SMPTE module while recording sound with MLV SND, my guess is there will be conflicts =). Guess I'll try that out. SMPTE also has a bug that needs to be addressed where it freezes the camera if It is enabled when you start recording if you haven't pushed the test tone in SMPTE submenu after reboot.

mixmastermike

Thanks for the heads up. I've been playing about with the SMPTE module and have managed to get it to start recording but when I stop recording it doesn't stop the signal and audio recording continues. I'm going to continue reading the posts and see if I can work out why the SMPTE module isn't turning off the signal. Have to say though I feel pretty close to having a solution, the image has always been awesome with raw. I'm excited to getting an audio solution working.

If MLC_SND and MLV_REC return to functioning solidly, syncing the audio from the H6 with pluraleyes would be sweet. I've built a nice shoulder rig with Zacuto half cage, QR Shoulder pad, Tornado and Z-drive, AXIS mount and EVF. Getting this working would complete the deal for me. Stunning Image and Sound, job done. time to film.....

Markus

Quote from: mixmastermike on February 22, 2014, 04:25:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I've been playing about with the SMPTE module and have managed to get it to start recording but when I stop recording it doesn't stop the signal and audio recording continues. I'm going to continue reading the posts and see if I can work out why the SMPTE module isn't turning off the signal. Have to say though I feel pretty close to having a solution, the image has always been awesome with raw. I'm excited to getting an audio solution working.

If MLC_SND and MLV_REC return to functioning solidly, syncing the audio from the H6 with pluraleyes would be sweet. I've built a nice shoulder rig with Zacuto half cage, QR Shoulder pad, Tornado and Z-drive, AXIS mount and EVF. Getting this working would complete the deal for me. Stunning Image and Sound, job done. time to film.....

Sounds like a kewl little rig!  Post a picture of it =P. I'll try out smpte with mlv + sound tomorrow see if I have the same problem.

Markus

SMPTE does not stop when mlv stops and there is interference from the sound output. I guess the audio monitoring needs to be disabled and mlv stop needs to communicate with smpte. 

mixmastermike

What are your settings on SMPTE? I have mine at 50 and the gain dial on the H6 set accordingly to hit 0db, I ask as I didn't have the sound bleed. Are you muting the channel the SMPTE goes into in the H6 Mixer?

Also have you checked with the Raw_Rec Module?

Markus

Quote from: mixmastermike on February 22, 2014, 04:52:45 PM
What are your settings on SMPTE? I have mine at 50 and the gain dial on the H6 set accordingly to hit 0db, I ask as I didn't have the sound bleed. Are you muting the channel the SMPTE goes into in the H6 Mixer?

Also have you checked with the Raw_Rec Module?

I took the signal in via line in when i used this. Line in expects a stronger signal so I boosted speaker volume to 100 (Not a good idea if you go in via XLR!). Then I set the gain to get level on H6 at 0db and then mute that channel so I can monitor sound in my H6. Raw_rec should work, at least it has before. Can check that in latest build.

mixmastermike

I just got up here, but I'm going to do some more testing later on today. I need a solution for a one man shoulder rig so the one button press and I can record sound and video would be ideal. I ordered and OKI MC1 to see if that will work with ML, should be here next week.

I also had a thought that once the updates to MLV_REC and MLV_SND get those modules running smoothly maybe a wired remote to the H6 is a viable work around. At least in post plural eyes can sync up the audio to make it manageable, rather that sliding the audio a couple of frames back and forth. I have a project for a short cooking show in a week and wanted to give this rig a go but the stability has me a little worried, however the possibility of raw and good sound also has me excited lol

ill post a pic of the rig later it looks like a cross between a transformer and a shoulder mount missile launcher lol

xNiNELiVES

rainless

The Gear - Canon 5D Mark II, Yongnuo 565EX flash, PhotoSel 3mx3m backdrop stand with 3mx3m muslin backdrops. Elinchrom D-Lite 4 it studio lights, some big-ass 110cm reflector. Unlimited German Models

Markus

SMPTE Module seems a dead module so right know this method does not work right now =(. An add on to send cont. sound signal from beep module as an option would be a way to make this work without need of the smpte module...

mixmastermike

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on April 08, 2014, 04:45:35 AM
Any pic? And this works with RAC_REC.MO with a 5D 2?

here are some pics, i also pulled the trigger on an Atomos Ninja Blade, that way I get a source with sound synced too.

This one shows the studio set up, with the Ninja Blade on the back

Markus

Intresting info on this site. Seems like the canon lanc connector also use 3.3v as does the zoom h6 remote protocol.
http://www.doc-diy.net/photo/eos_wired_remote/

erek

Is there a way to get mlv_rec / mlv_snd to work with auto start and stop of the Zoom H6?  I too tried the smpte.mo and with mlv_rec it just starts, and doesn't stop when mlv_rec stops...

Markus

I didn't even think smpt module still worked with current builds? However you cannot use mlv and and smpte module at the same time. The smtp.mo uses the sound circuit that's needed for sound recording. So you can't use this method if you want to record internal sound at the same time.

erek

I've started looking at the source code for mlv_snd

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/3efd69b63b955619246b4c0c7095e2c234522ffa/modules/mlv_snd/mlv_snd.c?at=unified

, and I am considering attempting to implement sending a beep tone inside of mlv_snd_start()  and also stop it inside of the function mlv_snd_stop()

... still looking for the source code for the beep though...

mario1000

Hi Markus,

it is a long time ago that you have published this video about how to trigger external recorder automaticaly when shooting RAW:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7890.0

Since the SMPTE module does not work with the latest nightly build could you please tell me which version do you used for this video?

BR

Markus

I'm afraid I can't remember. If someone with programing skills could program a constant beep module or add that functionality to the beep setting you would not need smpte module...

PaulHarwood856

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased the Zoom H6, and came across this thread. A brilliant idea, that's for sure. I have the T3i and 7D. I have read all the posts, and I just wanted to ask: Is there any way to pull of recording in camera that triggers the Zoom H6 to record at the same time? It seems there isn't but, I figured I would ask since March of 2015 was the last post. If someone could just let me know yes or no, or if there is a way I can attempt this by purchased certain cords I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

- Paul Harwood