Loading Picture Styles from the SD card instead of from computer/usb cable

Started by apefos, August 25, 2013, 08:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apefos

Would be possible for the Magic Lantern Team to develop a function in the Magic Lantern Firmware to allow us to load custom picture styles from the SD card?

It would be nice because Canon cameras just allow to load 3 custom picture styles and there are lots of interesting picture styles around designed for different situations.

It would avoid the need of using Canon EOS Utility software and carry a notebook or a tablet to the location to load picture styles to the camera.

If this feature could be implemented we could have a folder inside the SD card with lots of picture styles to chose and load to the 3 customs positions in camera.

Thanks!

Francis

It's been looked into previously and was deemed not possible. The part of memory where styles are stored would be very dangerous to write to.

a1ex

Not only that, but picture styles are encrypted, so this may put the project into trouble.

apefos

This is exactly what I mean in this post. You had the same idea, as many others did.

I also did a research about the Nikon D5200 and it can store 99 picture controls in the SD card and 9 picture controls in camera and load them from the sd card. But it lacks all the outstanding features of Magic Lantern Firmware...

Critical Point

So, basically what is needed is ML to emulate what EOS Utility does when it loads custom picture profiles to the camera, not to modify those default profiles that are stored in I don't know what dangerous part of the memory.
600D & GH2 / PC.

Critical Point

Quote from: Francis on August 25, 2013, 08:54:47 PM
It's been looked into previously and was deemed not possible. The part of memory where styles are stored would be very dangerous to write to.

Yes, but those 3 custom picture profiles that we load via the EOS Utility, are stored in the same place ?
600D & GH2 / PC.

PaulS

Hello all!
Sorry about necroposting ))

Any updates for this subject?
Is it still not possible to use more than 3 styles (for 5dii)?

Thank you