Which is the best for RAW video? [600D, 650D, 700D, 100D]

Started by Froggy, August 25, 2013, 07:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Froggy

Hi, guys. Please share with me, which is the best for RAW video?
I choose between this cameras: 600D, 650D, 700D, 100D.
what is the best LOW budget camera for RAW video.
P.S.: I've already have 550D. It has slow SD controller and low raw video image resolution (stable). Only [email protected]
Is reasonable to change 550D on other camera? Or it will be not much difference?

nanomad

You can go up to 720p on the newest models (650D+). They are all the same hardware-wise so I'd pick either a 650D or wait for a 70D
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Peter1546

Quote from: tankvps on August 25, 2013, 10:48:05 AM
Refer to this

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

It is not updated for the 700D atm.

but 650D,700D/100D might be similar at raw specs, only the 600D does not work very well because of the low SD write speed? Am i correct?
So what would someone suggest who already uses magic lantern on either on one or more of these cameras?

/edit:  Is it already known if the 70D records raw in 1920x1080?

David J. Fulde

Quote from: Peter1546 on August 31, 2013, 10:20:16 AM
It is not updated for the 700D atm.

but 650D,700D/100D might be similar at raw specs, only the 600D does not work very well because of the low SD write speed? Am i correct?
So what would someone suggest who already uses magic lantern on either on one or more of these cameras?

/edit:  Is it already known if the 70D records raw in 1920x1080?

no one really knows anything about the 70D I don't think a developer even has one yet.

Midphase

Quote from: Froggy on August 25, 2013, 07:37:26 AM
what is the best LOW budget camera for RAW video.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera.

Sorry but that's the truth, if you're contemplating getting a T5i or a 70D (both floating in the $1k range) and you're mainly concerned with raw video (sounds like you already have a good still camera), then get the Blackmagic Pocket, in this particular case it's the only choice which truly makes sense.

Andy600

Quote from: Midphase on August 31, 2013, 08:00:23 PM

Sorry but that's the truth, if you're contemplating getting a T5i or a 70D (both floating in the $1k range) and you're mainly concerned with raw video (sounds like you already have a good still camera), then get the Blackmagic Pocket, in this particular case it's the only choice which truly makes sense.

I wouldn't touch it until they've fixed the specular highlights (white orb) and black hole clipping bugs... and actually introduced raw.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2013/08/30/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-night-time-testing-at-1600asa/

Why can't it shoot raw yet? I reckon BMD are having big SD write problems. A secondhand 50D, 7D or possibly a 5DMkII are within your budget.

The BMD Pocket will also need new M4/3 glass and/or expensive adapters. On paper it's a remarkable camera and I've seen some terrific shots from it but it has showstopping bugs and is missing simple things like in-camera deleting of clips, no audio metering etc etc. Plus it seems to only work with top end Sandisk SD cards that ain't cheap.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Midphase

I don't think it's a remarkable camera, nor that it doesn't have its issues....but we have to admit that for someone contemplating a 70D or a T5i, the Blackmagic makes a whole lot more sense.

Peter1546

Quote from: Midphase on August 31, 2013, 08:00:23 PM

I will shoot on the blackmagic next weekend for the first time. I will have a closer look at it! but for me in private it is no option. I need a still camera as well as i would like to use video recording in  raw (thx to magiclantern!!). MKIII is too expensive for me atm, 70D / 7D's already at maximum.

midnite

650D is the best one among those you suggested. (for now)

andy kh

650D is not the best. i dont get clean raw like 550D. 650D has pink dots when i record raw and it takes a long time removing pink dots when you have so many clips.
5D Mark III - 70D

Oswald

I would recommend Eos M. Extremely low price (200 €) and record 720p raw.  But it also has pink dots, but why it takes long time removing these?  2000 frames and around 2-4 minutes. Nos so long time.

Eos m has no flip flop screen aka turnable screen, it is fixed.  :(
7D, EOS-M & 100D.100b ¶  Sigma 18-35mm, Canon 50mm F1.8, 22 STM, 8-48mm f1.0, 18-55 EF-M STM

Audionut

Quote from: Oswald on March 09, 2014, 12:56:21 PM
2000 frames and around 2-4 minutes.

In other words, it takes longer to fix the pink whatever, then it does to watch the frames at 24fps.   ;)

andy kh

non of these camera which has pink dots are not recommended  for shooting raw video no matter even if it shoots  4k.
nobody wont mind the time consume to remove pink dots for few clips but when you have so many clips you will get frustrated like me. i have done the biggest mistake by selling my 550D just to buy 650D
5D Mark III - 70D

a1ex

Anybody is free to optimize the code to make it almost as fast as with the raw files that do not require any postprocessing (hint: it is possible and the MLV format has all the metadata you need).