Aperature won't change

Started by Gluedbarstool, August 20, 2013, 06:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gluedbarstool

Hello,

I haven't used ML since upgrading to 2.3 for a few months. Tonight I turned it on, discovering that in video mode on my t3i, I cannot change my 50mm 1.8 to f/1.8.

It will not go lower than 2.0, when I turn it lower, at times, it wi quickly display 1.8 before going to 22.x

This also occurs during Manual mode, however, I am able to dial 1.8 in in canons menu only on Manual mode. This obviously doesn't work through video mode.

What am I doing wrong?

Dreamer

First off, try opening to f1.8 through Canon buttons, not ML menu.  I.E. hold 'Q' and use shutter wheel.  Cycle through the on-screen displays using 'INFO' to check between the ML aperture reading and the Canon aperture reading.

It could just be the ML on-screen readout and your lens is opening to f1.8.  I have some similar issues with exact shutter speed readings on my ML menu sometimes.

If you're still having issues after the above and want to be really certain, take a picture of a subject in static lighting conditions in manual mode at f1.8 and another picture at f2.0.  Then in video mode hold 'Q' and use the wheel on top to open your aperture as much as possible.  Take a third picture.  Compare the histogram of picture C to A and B to see if your aperture is at f1.8 or f2.0.  Obviously your shutter and ISO need to be maintained for all three pictures for it to work.