[UNMAINTAINED] mlv2dng - A converter for the Magic Lantern RAW Video format v2.0

Started by gnarr, August 20, 2013, 09:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeekendWarrior

Quote from: Danne on February 02, 2014, 10:39:38 PM
did you try the script two-three posts up? Doubleclick the command. g3gg0 fixed everything two work fluently with spanned files.

I fixed it! Wasn't aware that I had to pull the additional file from my SD card as well. Thanks!

Markus

Watch out for too long catalog names if you plan to develop in davinci resolve! Took me awhile to figure out what was wrong!

ChadMuffin

I know the vertical banding has been fixed with raw2dng, but I seem to still have it with the mlv2dng. I haven't seen any news on it in a while. The workflow and use of sound in mlv has made that format very practical, especially for larger projects. But, the vertical banding can be discouraging. Any news? Am I looking at the wrong threads? Need me to run some tests? Here to help.

arrinkiiii

I think the right thread is this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9564.0  if you have examples just post them.

I also have this banding vertical strips thing... i have some dng's to post but not have the "time" yet to extract... but i will. Yes, it's a bit discouraging. Hope everything will be good soon =))

ChadMuffin

Here is a test frame which includes the vertical banding. Some info on the shot, it was shot yesterday on the latest nightly build then, taken through the latest mlv2dng on the first post of this thread. I have no idea what is relevant so I will just post everything. No Dual ISO or Auto ETTR, shot manual, WB was set to Tungsten in camera, mlv2dng changed WB. I did not touch ACR at all.

5D3, 50mm, f1.4, ISO1250
MLV Video & Sound (.wav not included)
Resolution: 1920x818
Global Draw: Allow
Preview: Auto
Extra Hacks: On
Buffer fill method: 4
CF-only buffers 3
(if option not stated, it was off or none)

Link (Active for 1 month or so): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r6vqv5g8m6frt85/Ih5aVJ0Q1G/MLV%20Test%20%28Vertical%20Banding%29

a1ex

The problem is not present in raw2dng, so try converting the MLV to legacy RAW first.

g3gg0

Quote from: ChadMuffin on February 04, 2014, 03:40:07 PM
I know the vertical banding has been fixed with raw2dng, but I seem to still have it with the mlv2dng. I haven't seen any news on it in a while. The workflow and use of sound in mlv has made that format very practical, especially for larger projects. But, the vertical banding can be discouraging. Any news? Am I looking at the wrong threads? Need me to run some tests? Here to help.

didnt notice that there were updates.
will check and backport the changes from raw2dng
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

This fix was introduced on 2013-05-30 (d93b642) and the last algorithm update was on 2013-07-13 (5e39594). That's before you announced the MLV file format ;)

I plan to update it to handle shadow banding/stripes too; right now it handles only highlight and midtone banding/stripes caused by nonuniform column amplification - PRNU.

There was a recent update on cold pixels fix from escho (backported from cr2hdr); you may want to port this one too.

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on February 05, 2014, 12:10:07 PM
This fix was introduced on 2013-05-30 (d93b642)

thix explains that i didnt notice any change.
yeah have seen the merge from escho, just didnt touch it yet :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ChadMuffin

tonybeccar

@gnarr,

I moved completely to mlv2dng now.. and incorporated it into MLV Converter... MAN IT'S FAST! If you could just add audio extraction as well it would be perfect.. as I am now extracting the audio with mlv_dump and it takes a lot of time! for short clips at least (10 sec), more than your app extracting all the dng frames sometimes!

Thanks so much for the effort and hocus pocus magic you are doing!!! :D

Panz

joaomoutinho

I am experiencing a really huge problem.

I used the MLVRAW on my 50D, and I came home to transcode to DNG and used the MLV converter 1.6  -  The problem now is, the Affter Effects(CS6) CRASHES when it is importing. What is going on? Never happened to me before.  And I have a deadline and I am desperate with this...

Really dont know what I can do to fix this issue!

ted ramasola

Quote from: joaomoutinho on February 21, 2014, 04:41:34 AM
I am experiencing a really huge problem.

I used the MLVRAW on my 50D, and I came home to transcode to DNG and used the MLV converter 1.6  -  The problem now is, the Affter Effects(CS6) CRASHES when it is importing. What is going on? Never happened to me before.  And I have a deadline and I am desperate with this...

Really dont know what I can do to fix this issue!

try another converter. Like this : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10198.msg98334;topicseen#msg98334
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ChadMuffin

I was checking out the latest again for converting and was wondering if the vertical banding from raw2dng was implemented yet? I downloaded the latest mlv2dng from the first post of this thread again and it seems it is still there. Is this where it would be posted? I am not a programmer but, still willing to help in any ways I can.

guentergunter

Hello gnarr,
since a few days now there's a discussion about the future resolutions available for the 5D2 (and maybe other cameras).

It started with a1ex:

Quote from: a1ex on March 14, 2014, 09:55:26 PM
The horizontal resolution is restricted to multiples of 8 bytes and 16 pixels according to latest findings. This restriction is valid at least for 5D3 and 6D (didn't do much testing on other cameras), but I'd like to keep the code portable without camera-specific exceptions.

So, before including this change in nightly builds, I'd like to ask you which is better: 1888 with 8 pixels of black border that you will have to crop, or 1856 without any border pixels? Between these 2 values, there are no valid resolutions that respect the alignment restrictions.

This change was discussed here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg106087#msg106087
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/438/raw-recording-force-line-size-to-be/diff

In my opinion, it would be no problem to simply discard black borders from an image while converting to dng:

Quote from: guentergunter on March 24, 2014, 08:39:02 AM
...and it's also no coding effort to discard pixels while converting to dng. The user wouldn't even realize it!
This way, no one has to crop anything actively in post! It's simply done in background in the ever necessary converting (to dng) step.

I'm no programmer (just some very basic skills).
Thus it would be really great, if you could just leave a little comment about it as a programmer to help us sort things out for the 5D2 (and other cameras with the same problem):

Specific 5D2 threat

Thank you very much!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

CF

This app is highly dangerous to use....

I used the option 'Delete Source Files" under 'Convert Option'

I then hit convert.... What the app did:

It deleted my source files and converted NOTHING...

DONT USE IT !!!!

Walter Schulz

Let's say option "Delete Source Files" should only be used if you use copied files, not your only originals.

German sysops have a saying: Files without backup have to be regarded as deleted.
(Original: Nicht gesicherte Daten sind als geloescht zu betrachten.)

Ciao
Walter

PS: If your lucky (and taken no further write access to your media) you may be able to restore your files.

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on February 05, 2014, 07:33:22 AM
The problem is not present in raw2dng, so try converting the MLV to legacy RAW first.
how do we do that?

Pashi

Hi guys! When trying to extract audio from .mlv with mlv2dng I got a bunch of error messages:

Exception! Header not recognized: 'STYL'

Exception! Header not recognized: 'BKUP'

Exception! Header not recognized: 'WAVI'

Exception! Header not recognized: 'MARK'

Exception! Header not recognized: 'MARK'

Exception! Header not recognized: 'AUDF'

What's wrong?

Doyle4

Mac 10.8.5 and getting this with mlv2dng 2.0 and the GUI version doest convert anything either, any help would be great thanks.

Last login: Fri Apr 25 02:18:20 on console
Doyles-Macbook-Pro:~ doyle$ /Volumes/1TB/Downloads/mlv2dng\ app/MLVConverter.app/Contents/Resources/mlv2dng /Volumes/1TB/Downloads/mlv2dng\ app/M27-2212.MLV
Exception! Header not recognized: 'ELVL'
dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: __ZNKSt5ctypeIcE13_M_widen_initEv
  Referenced from: /Volumes/1TB/Downloads/mlv2dng app/MLVConverter.app/Contents/Resources/mlv2dng
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNKSt5ctypeIcE13_M_widen_initEv
  Referenced from: /Volumes/1TB/Downloads/mlv2dng app/MLVConverter.app/Contents/Resources/mlv2dng
  Expected in: /usr/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Trace/BPT trap: 5
Doyles-Macbook-Pro:~ doyle$

a1ex

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 11, 2013, 10:49:07 AM
it seems this project is cancelled.

Indeed, last update was in September 2013.

Marking the thread as "unmaintained", until somebody will step in and take care of it.

Doyle4

On Mac MLV_dumper only works for me, so if there is any other mac users having trouble this is how i got it to work.

Open terminal, Drag MLV_dumper to the terminal, press SPACEBAR then type --dng followed by SPACEBAR then drag the mlv file and enter :)

Doyle4

Quote from: jphansen on September 04, 2013, 11:20:41 PM
This is for 10.8.3 Mountain Lion users.. I guess you can install the Lion version the same way...  gcc-mlion.tar.gz - Mountain Lion. gcc-lion.tar.gz - Lion version

Found a solution to get the mac versions to work (the absolutely non geeky/I dont know Unix way)... The problem is the "libstdc++.6.dylib". And WTF is that anyway.. My answer I DOOONT know.. Anyway.. I found the missing libraries to install.. Here is what you need to do:

Go to http://hpc.sourceforge.net and download this file http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/hpc/gcc-mlion.tar.gz?download.

Go to Terminal and cd to the download folder cd /Users/UserName/Downloads/ Then gunzip gcc-lion.tar.gz (if your browser didn't do so already) and then sudo tar -xvf gcc-mlion.tar -C /

I used 7zX because I dont know how to gunzip..

Restart your mac and BOOOOM!!! MLVConverter.app works for me...

Hope this helps some..

Worked great for me thanks!! im on 10.8.5, just a TIP for other users who are having problems.. DO NOT drag the mlv into the loader, click "Select MLV Files" or the app wont respond. im going to try and tweak this to allow it to respond to drag n drop.

bencarter