256gig 1200X KomputerBay CF cards.

Started by ted ramasola, August 20, 2013, 09:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baarman

Hi,

arturochu, you are right, 1080p 30fps was only for some limited time (under minute or so). Where do you need to use 30fps 1080p? AFAIK not cinema/TV compatible anywhere nor enough for downscaling to get slow motion...

rungunshoot

Hi everyone, I got a 256GB card and just did a first trial on the 5dmkIII.  Formatted it EXFAT with a Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.  Did a continuous recording test at 1080p24.  I got about 26 mins continuous before it automatically stopped.  I re-started the recording and it filled up the rest of the card.  Haven't reviewed the footage for bad frames, but it appears stable at 24p at least.

arturochu

hey rungunshoot, can you extend your review about the 256 gb card?

*what brand?
*24, 30, 48, 60 maximum res for continious shooting?
*format in camera formats the whole card?

cheers!
Chu

rungunshoot

Brand was Komputerbay 1200x...sorry, thought that was assumed in this thread.

I only tried 24p @ 1920x1080.  I have yet to post process the files, so I don't know if I got any pink/bad frames.  But I was able to fill up the card with only one re-start of the recording button (around the 26 minute mark).

I formatted EXFAT via Macbook Pro.  Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.  The in-camera formatting reduces visible capacity to 128gb.

Once I'm confident in the 24p recording I will attempt higher framerates/resolutions.

rungunshoot

I just realized something...

The 5dmkIII is supposed to sense the card's capacity and format EXFAT internally to use the entire capacity.  It didn't do that for me - formatted as 128GB instead, presumably Fat32.  Any ideas why?

arturochu

not sure why, tamasola also had the same problem, but just to clarify, if you format exfat from computer the whole 256 gb appears in camera? hope you can test with other than 24p so we can know how fast is this camera in practice. Thnx anyway.
Chu

rungunshoot

Yes, 256gb appears in-camera if I format from computer...well, actually 238GB or something.  Whatever the card actually holds.

I did a few more quick tests:

- approx 146GB seems to be a stopping point for continuous 24p recording. Not sure why. Slow spot on the card?  I have emailed Komputerbay for tech support on this.

- Recording at 48p (FPS Override), I'm getting about 6 seconds at 1920x672, 8 seconds at 1856x650, 1:30 to 2:00 at 1728x606, and continuous recording at 1600x560.  Global draw off.