Newbie question, very frustrated, appreciate advice

Started by onlineart, August 20, 2013, 06:28:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onlineart

Hi everyone, just installed ML on my 60 d this morning.

Specifically so I can record more than 12 min videos.

I have turned on auto restart, but it records for just about 1 min, before auto stopping to record, then it restarts as it should do.

My card size is just 8gig, level 10'  but that shouldn't be the problem, as it is not full.

Positive it must be just a setting I have to adjust but I just can't find it, even after hours of looking :(

Appreciate any help.

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

onlineart

Mine was turning off around 12 min, which I guess is around the 4gig on the card. But with ML it is not lasting a min without having to auto restart.

Which is what I can't understand.

Francis

Check the bitrate option under the ML Movie tab. Make sure it is set to 1.0x.

Walter Schulz

Well, the Magic Lantern's magic is limited by the laws of technology and physics.
First: What are we talking about?

RAW video? The memory interface implemented by Canon is rather slow and therefore you won't be able to write something like 1080p24 in RAW longer than a few seconds.
And RAW means serious data streams. With Canon's h.264 movie mode the transfer rate to the storage device is about 6 MByte/s maximum. (4 GiByte/(12x60s) = 5,7 MiByte/s). RAW video mode in 720p24 means 24 RAW files are written per second. This will require much more bandwidth and we're not even talking RAW 1080p24!

So please put more details in your post so we can help you.
First try to decrease resolution and try again.
And run a ML benchmark test to see what's your card is able to do. The cam itself will limit transfer speed to about 21 MiByte/s.
Level 10 is sufficient for h.264 (or what Canon made of it) but it doesn't mean it qualifies for RAWs data flood.

Ciao, Walter

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.