Lens Rentals now renting a 5D Mk III with Magic Lantern + raw video

Started by Andy600, August 20, 2013, 02:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy600

Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

coutts

SDX

Nice. Let's hope they manage to always keep a good and uptodate version on it.

Walter Schulz

Interesting, very interesting.
I sometimes regret not to live in an area covered by Roger Cicala's company.
Like his style and level of insight showing in the blog. And may be the best: He has a lot of experience with equipment and is willing to share, pushing fanboys blood pressure to new heights. See: Lens repair data for example.

Wondering if this move was triggered by customers demand or it was some kind of trial balloon to generate new business.

He doesn't have concerns about an unresetable bootflag (as of today), that's for sure. (Or: A rented Mark III returned with bootflag set and he made the best of it.)

I think his review about this service and the helpdesk issues involved is going to be an interesting read, too. We all know the obvious traps like "Deleting ML folder only -> stuck camera" or "formatting card inside cardreader -> ML absent", "keep different ML cards settings synchronized", "corrupted files" and workflow issues.

Ciao
Walter

Walter Schulz

Lens Rentals newest blog entry is about RAW on Canon:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/08/whats-all-this-raw-hack-business
Haven't read it yet, I'm on the jump (and writing germish) ...

EDIT: Some kind of misconception and a common one in the blog. ML is not firmware.
Seems this one is going to live forever. Wishing for something like an stake working inside the web.

Ciao, Walter

Andy600

Nice endorsement in that blog article:

"The LensRentals crew has been independently testing the various new firmware builds all summer long and we feel it's now safe to recommend them to our customers."

..."at this point in time we don't think the hacked cameras are any less stable than the RED Scarlet,"

8)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Bjlemenager

Has anyone rented these yet and confirmed they work like they are supposed to? I'm also wondering how much differently shooting raw on the 5dm3 is, is there a workflow video tut available?