Best settings for raw / 600D - TL2.0

Started by deletedAcc.0021, August 20, 2013, 01:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deletedAcc.0021

Just wondering what settings everyone is using with TL2.0

I'm currently testing the SixThirty build with the following settings and getting decent results.

GD on
Histogram on / everything else off
Canon 1920 X 1080 @ 24fps
Img quality- Canon default - Largefine (haven't needed Sraw)
ISO 1250
FPS 24

Frames recorded:
Resolution 960 = continuous
Resolution 1024 = 500 frames before stopping.

Zero pink frames at these settings using a 45Mb Sandisk card.

N/A

I get 1280x512 for ~18 secs, make sure you have it on sraw for maximum buffer memory.

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: N/A on August 20, 2013, 02:52:30 AM
I get 1280x512 for ~18 secs, make sure you have it on sraw for maximum buffer memory.

I tried using sraw and didn't make a difference as far as # of frames recorded.  I'm not getting any pink frames (yet), so I'll stick with the settings I'm using now.

I may have to use it in complex scenes, high ISO settings.

bullittmcqueen

I have tried several different arrangements of settings. Starting out I shot 960 with nothing else enabled after first putting TL2.0 on the camera and I was able to shoot continuously.

Next I shot 1280 with sRaw enabled and the canon menu resolution changed to 640 and was able to get about 240 frames each clip.

Last weekend I shot 1344 with GD off, sRaw enabled, canon resolution set at 640 and 3x zoom crop enabled, and was able to again get around 230-240 frames each clip. My next session will probably be shooting 1280 to get some longer clips using these settings. I'm using a sandisk 95mb/s card by the way. My benchmarks were all between 21 and 22 mb/s.

Here is what 1344 looked like

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: bullittmcqueen on August 20, 2013, 03:49:46 PM
I have tried several different arrangements of settings. Starting out I shot 960 with nothing else enabled after first putting TL2.0 on the camera and I was able to shoot continuously.

Next I shot 1280 with sRaw enabled and the canon menu resolution changed to 640 and was able to get about 240 frames each clip.

Last weekend I shot 1344 with GD off, sRaw enabled, canon resolution set at 640 and 3x zoom crop enabled, and was able to again get around 230-240 frames each clip. My next session will probably be shooting 1280 to get some longer clips using these settings. I'm using a sandisk 95mb/s card by the way. My benchmarks were all between 21 and 22 mb/s.

Nice footage.  Are you gettting any pink frames at these settings?   Trying to find the sweet spot that will handle most scene complexities without pink frames and the longest record times can be a challenge!

CFP

Quote from: dslrrookie on August 20, 2013, 02:10:58 PM
I tried using sraw and didn't make a difference as far as # of frames recorded.
Very strange. Are you really sure that you've set the 'Pic Quality' to 'SRAW' (Without anything else) and then rebooted your camera?
If you don't reboot it, 'SRAW' doesnt work. Maybe you forgot that?

It makes a huge difference in terms of how many frames you can get, if you use 'SRAW' since it increases the shoot_malloc buffer by 30 Megabytes. And it is the only real benefit of using a Tragic Lantern 2.0 build instead of the normal Nightly Build version.

With the 'Pic Quality' set to 'RAW' I get between 180 and 240 frames at 1280 X 544 (2.35:1) 24p and with it set to 'SRAW' I get 270 to 330 frames. I would call that a difference, so I guess you made a mistake somewhere ;)

Another tip for slightly increasing the amount of frames: Set the resolution in the Canon menu to 640 instead of 1920.
That reduces the size of the YUV buffer a bit and leaves more space for Magic Lantern stuff. But it helps only a little bit.
Using 'SRAW' is the most important setting for "long" recordings at higher resolutions.

By the way, why are you using ISO 1250? What does that have to do with the performence?

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: CFP on August 20, 2013, 05:57:21 PM
Very strange. Are you really sure that you've set the 'Pic Quality' to 'SRAW' (Without anything else) and then rebooted your camera?
If you don't reboot it, 'SRAW' doesnt work. Maybe you forgot that?

It makes a huge difference in terms of how many frames you can get, if you use 'SRAW' since it increases the shoot_malloc buffer by 30 Megabytes.

And it is the only real benefit of using a Tragic Lantern 2.0 build instead of the normal Nightly Build version.

Yeah, camera was rebooted after setting pic quality to sraw.  I'm trying to determine the best settings without using sraw. Ever since alex posted it could be detrimental using sraw, I've kinda stayed away from it.  I'm just posting what settings worked best for me leading to little or no pink frames.

The nightly build's raw capability is crap, way to many pink frames and shorter record times.  Even my recently compiled build from 1%'s repo is giving me pink frames leading me to believe that some code changes got pushed to his repo.

QuoteWith the 'Pic Quality' set to 'RAW' I get between 180 and 240 frames at 1280 X 544 (2.35:1) 24p and with it set to 'SRAW' I get 270 to 330 frames. I would call that a difference, so I guess you made a mistake somewhere ;)

Another tip for slightly increasing the amount of frames: Set the resolution in the Canon menu to 640 instead of 1920.
That reduces the size of the YUV buffer a bit and leaves more space for Magic Lantern stuff. But it helps only a little bit.
Using 'SRAW' is the most important setting for "long" recordings at higher resolutions.

I haven't pushed the resolution past 1024 so I probably didn't need the benefit of the added shoot_malloc buffer.  I'll try enabling sraw and test the 1024 settings and see if I get better results.

As far as setting the Canon resolution to 640, I tried that, but all it did was increase pink frames so I went back to 1024@24fps.   I've tested the SixThirty, NewSystem and a recent build I compiled myself from 1% code, and the SixThirty build is the only build that I get no pink frames using the settings I posted earlier. 

[/quote]

bullittmcqueen

Quote from: dslrrookie on August 20, 2013, 04:52:21 PM
Nice footage.  Are you gettting any pink frames at these settings?   Trying to find the sweet spot that will handle most scene complexities without pink frames and the longest record times can be a challenge!

The most pink frames I ever get is one, always the very first frame of a clip. In the video I posted above, I shot a total of about 10 clips that morning and had only 1 pink frame which was easy to delete from the sequence. This is using SixThirty, canon resolution at 640, and either 'RAW' or 'sRAW', I havent noticed a difference in pink frames with either setting.

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: bullittmcqueen on August 20, 2013, 09:29:47 PM
The most pink frames I ever get is one, always the very first frame of a clip. In the video I posted above, I shot a total of about 10 clips that morning and had only 1 pink frame which was easy to delete from the sequence. This is using SixThirty, canon resolution at 640, and either 'RAW' or 'sRAW', I havent noticed a difference in pink frames with either setting.

Thats pretty good results.  Yeah, the SixThirty build can't be beat.