Raw2DNG deleted all my files

Started by davidhjlindberg, August 19, 2013, 07:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidhjlindberg

Hey!

I'm a little scared right now, I was shooting a commercial today with the 5D3 raw. Now when I opened up raw2dng and dropped the application itself there to get the option to choose work folder as well as disable the prores444 conversion, but when I selected all my raw files and dropped it into the app it all just disappeared right away and now they're completely gone.

Sooo, wtf?

Francis

Maybe scrax (who made the Mac gui that it sounds like you are using) can help you out. The raw2dng that comes with ML only converts raws to DNGs via command line.

Search for dngs? Maybe they were output to some strange folder.

davidhjlindberg

It's so weird, I can't find any DNG files when I search for it either.

Yeah, if scrax could help that would be awesome, I'll PM him.

EDIT: I tried to restart the the computer now but then it said that it couldn't because Finder had an operation in progress that I would have to cancel first. So there is still a liiittle bit of light here, but I can't see any operations and even if I open up raw2dng it just opens up as it should do.

Midphase

Yup, that happened to me with the OS X version of Raw2DNG.

First and last time I ever used that program.

Now I use RAWMagic for everything and it just works the way it's intended to.

alexp

It just happened to me too. I am very upset!

aaphotog

For those that this has happened to... were the files on an external drive? Is the app, and the files on different drives? or was there a space in the folder name anywhere in the path to the files?

deleted.account

Can you not just copy the files back into your project folder on your machine from your RAID backup and your external hard drive where you copied your media cards contents to before starting work and use a different raw to DNG app?

aaphotog

Quote from: y3llow on August 20, 2013, 09:22:36 AM
Can you not just copy the files back into your project folder on your machine from your RAID backup and your external hard drive where you copied your media cards contents to before starting work and use a different raw to DNG app?
Yes, for those who made copies, they could!
But many, don't make copies. that's a copy of THREE seperate steps of the same files. Very large files at that.
I make copies of the DNGs, but don't make copies of the .raw container file.

g3gg0

that sounds like an OS awkwardness to me.
i double-checked raw2dng which comes from Magic Lantern team and it is programmed as it should be.
the input file is opened read only and there is no delete.

so:
a) the version you downloaded was modified by someone (dont think so) or
b) this is caused by the OS recognizing your "drop" as a move command and deleted the input file

in both cases we are sorry, but there is nothing we can fix or so.

- can you tell where you downloaded the file?
- can you reproduce the situation? (same drives, paths, etc)
- can you nail it down when this does *not* happen? (i.e. doesnt happen when files are in same dir)

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

alexp

Were the files on an external drive?
The files were on the CF card 64GB 1000x

Is the app, and the files on different drives?
No

Was there a space in the folder name anywhere in the path to the files?
No

I was able to reproduce the situation : check out the video of the screen recording
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10164102/raw.mov

davidhjlindberg

This is what happens for me. I just choose the files on the external drive where I got my footage, drags it and drop it into the app.

davidhjlindberg

You think it can be because my external drives where I have my footage is containing a space between LaCie and 01? I know I've read somewhere that this can 'cause problem, but don't remember if it was with raw2dng it didn't work. Any thoughts?

alexp

I got my files back!  8)

After noticing that I was running out of space on my MBP, I ran a cool free program GrandPerspective, which shows big files on your hard drive. I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw a bunch of RAW files in /Volumes, which is a hidden folder that Finder doesn't search in. To get there open Finder, click on Go, Go to folder, and enter /Volumes.

deleted.account

Quote from: aaphotog on August 20, 2013, 09:56:31 AM
Yes, for those who made copies, they could!
But many, don't make copies.

Duplication to 3 locations is a typical and well adopted strategy, patticularly for commercial work, duplicating files and working with a copy is always first op.

Quotethat's a copy of THREE seperate steps of the same files. Very large files at that.

Comes with the territory. Bit of a shock to those coming from a photography background maybe not only impact on storage but also even cost of basic video and audio related hardware outlays.

But you could compare storage usage between a Canon raw video project where recording times can be shorter due to card controller restrictions and trying to be efficient in what is captured versus a typical compressed video project where the camera can be left to run on or multiple shots of same scene resulting in what can be hours more video to trawl through.

QuoteI make copies of the DNGs, but don't make copies of the .raw container file.

FWIW I do the opposite, instead storing the raw and dumping the DNGs. The raws take less space than the extracted DNGs but more importantly if/when raw2DNG improves then DNGs can be extracted again if its worth it or needed.

But whatever, who cares, its not helping the OPs situation.