[Already Done] Eye-sensor to trigger follow focus

Started by pavelpp, August 19, 2013, 10:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pavelpp

I think it would be very nice to control follow focus not with arrow keys, but without even touching the camera - with an eye-sensor. One possible scenario is this:

1) Forward adjust focus on cover
2) Stop on open
3) Backward adjust on next cover

As an option - let the user configure the speed of focus adjustment. What do you think?

Audionut

You create the eye sensor, and someone here might take a look at it.

Francis

Quote from: Audionut on August 21, 2013, 05:56:02 AM
You create the eye sensor, and someone here might take a look at it.

Canon already did. It is on 550D and the 500D. In ML it is called the LCD sensor. It can be used to trigger the shutter, amongst other things including follow focus as you are requesting.

Walter Schulz

I don't think you got this one, Francis! What pavelpp is looking for is not a trigger but a focus point selector as implemented in the late and lamented Canon EOS 3.

"The EOS-3 inherited a refined version of the Eye-Control system of the EOS-5. This system, when calibrated to a given user, allowed for picking one of the 45 points of the autofocus system simply by looking at it though the viewfinder. An infrared transmitter and receiver mounted around the eyepiece monitored the position of the iris, thus "knowing" where the photographer was looking and focusing on that point. The system has its limitations however, notably eyeglasses and occasionally contact lenses would confuse the system. This feature was never rolled forward to the later 1V body."

Source: Wikipedia

Ciao, Walter

Audionut

That's how I read the OP also Walter.

I guess we will wait for clarification from the OP.

pavelpp

Quote from: Francis on August 21, 2013, 06:35:38 AM
Canon already did. It is on 550D and the 500D. In ML it is called the LCD sensor. It can be used to trigger the shutter, amongst other things including follow focus as you are requesting.

I guess I used the wrong terminology. It's probably called LCD sensor. How can I use it to control follow focus?