Can someone please code a standalone Mac RAW viewer or QuickLook plug in?

Started by yanone, August 18, 2013, 05:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yanone

Hi there,

my idea might come a bit on short notice or be unrealistic, but please consider it:

In the week of August 26th–30th I'm shooting a dance film using ML RAW. That's a week from now.
I'm looking for the simplest possible way of reviewing the RAW footage on-location, most likely by people who are not DIP cracks.
Currently the easiest way is to use Ginger HDR with After Effects, and although this is already pretty straight forward, it can be simpler.

I'm chipping in $150 to the person who can make an otherwise freely available QuickLook plug in or standalone Mac RAW viewer app (with command line opening support and a separate window per file and full screen support) within a week from now, including automatic file spanning. I'm aware that the files probably won't play back in real time, but that's not necessary. The review is meant for checking overall image composition and sharpness.
$150 isn't really what the work is worth, but it's what I can offer. Furthermore I believe that much of the underlying work has already been done by the developers of GingerHDR and the RAW2DNG converters. It's possibly only a matter of getting to know the QuickLook plug in structure and delivering single images to the OS as required. Since OSX/QuickLook can already read DNG files, an on-the-fly conversion might not even be necessary.

derkiki

Try Son of Batch
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7266.0

You can scrub through RAW files (not spanned ones yet).
It's alpha, so please try it first before using it on your shoot.
Let me know how it works.
Cheers

yanone

Hi Kiki,

the size of the preview image isn't anywhere close to useful, and automatic file spanning is a necessity.
I'm afraid Son Of A Batch won't work for me. I'm looking for a one-click, full screen previewing solution. We'll have an external 1080p monitor on location attached to a MacBook Air, and with it we want to review the full image quality.
But thank you.