Magic Lantern Releases > Archived porting threads

Latest & greatest 7D-build on a Mac

(1/9) > >>

bkummel:
Hi all,

I've just installed the latest and greatest 7D-build on my camera, using my MacBook. As I found the installation instructions for Mac users a little hard to find, I thought I'd share my experiences with you. I hope other Mac-using 7D-owners will appreciate my summary. Here we go...

Installing ML on a 7D using a Mac

1. Preparation
a. Download a ready-made Mac-installation kit from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/prhvvukktwn3wfz/7D.zip (Thanks, DenJS!)
b. Unzip the file if it isn't already unzipped. You should now have a folder called 7D, containing the following files:

- booton.fir – patched firmware which will enable boot flag in your camera
- bootoff.fir – patched firmware which will disable boot flag
- 7D000203.FIR – original firmware 2.0.3
- MacBoot.class – java application wich help you make your CF card bootable
- run.command – shell script to run java app properly.
- To root CF card – a folder containing the ML-build.

2. Enable the bootflag in your camera:
a. Take an empty CF-card, put in in a card-reader connected to your Mac and copy the booton.fir-file to it.
b. Put the CF-card in your camera and turn the camera on.
c. Open the menu, go to the 3rd yellow tab with the wrench-icon and choose the last option: "Firmware version 2.0.3"
d. Choose "Update firmware" and wait a few seconds. The firmware-update-program will start and after a few seconds you'll return to a black screen.
e. Now turn off you camera and eject the CF-card.
f. Remove the booton.fir-file from the CF-card.
g. Re-install the 2.0.3-firmware: follow the same steps as before, now with the 7D000203.FIR-file.

3. Create a bootable MagicLantern-card:
a. Put the CF-card in the card-reader.
b. Start the MacBoot-program, by double-clicking on the run.command. Enter you password if asked.
c. In the MacBoot program, select the size of the CF-card which you inserted and press Reresh.
d. Select Make DSLR-bootable and press Prepare Card.
e. Now copy all files from the folder To root CF card to the root of the CF-card.
f. Insert the CF-card in your camera and power it on.
g. You should hear a beep, indicating that MagicLantern has booted. You're ready to go! Press the trashcan-button on your 7D to enter the ML-menu.

Not booting?
Please make sure you have copied the files from the To root CF card-folder. If you have a bootable card, but not the files in the root folder, the camera will "hang" until you remove the battery.

bkummel:
Using Dual ISO on a 7D - postprocessing on a Mac

To post-process a dual ISO image on a Mac, you'll need the cr2hdr tool. It can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvrwzmy740a90b/tools.zip. It can be called from the Terminal, as follows:

cr2hdr IMG_0001.CR2

Note that cr2hdr uses ExifTool to copy Exif-data, so make sure you have that one installed.

This will give you a IMG_0001.DNG-file. I was not able to import the DNG-file into Apple Aperture. So I searched for a work-around, which I found, using ImageMagick. You have to install both ImageMagick and ufraw to use this work-around. Once both are installed, you can use the following command to convert the DNG to TIFF:

convert IMG_0001.DNG IMG_0001.TIFF

Good luck!

Mr_Orange:
GREAT Tutorial!
Thnx Alot!

I had problem with making card bootable than I realized I need to run "RUN" to allow program to write to root.

Danne:

--- Quote from: bkummel on August 18, 2013, 04:30:37 PM ---Using Dual ISO on a 7D - postprocessing on a Mac

To post-process a dual ISO image on a Mac, you'll need the cr2hdr tool. It can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvrwzmy740a90b/tools.zip. It can be called from the Terminal, as follows:

cr2hdr IMG_0001.CR2

Note that cr2hdr uses ExifTool to copy Exif-data, so make sure you have that one installed.

This will give you a IMG_0001.DNG-file. I was not able to import the DNG-file into Apple Aperture. So I searched for a work-around, which I found, using ImageMagick. You have to install both ImageMagick and ufraw to use this work-around. Once both are installed, you can use the following command to convert the DNG to TIFF:

convert IMG_0001.DNG IMG_0001.TIFF

Good luck!

--- End quote ---

How do you exactly manage to convert the file through terminal?? I tried your description but no luck??

bkummel:
Hi all,

It seems my Dual ISO postproc instructions were not too clear. So here's a new attempt, a little bit more verbose...

Software Installation
1. Download the cr2hdr tool from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvrwzmy740a90b/tools.zip.
2. Unzip the file. You now have a directory tools inside your Downloads folder.
3. Open the Terminal.app program. (You can find it in the /Applications/Utilities/-folder.)
4. Type cd to change directory to your home-directory.
5. Type mkdir bin to create a directory called bin, in case you don't have it already.
6. Copy the files from the tools-directory to it. This can also be done in the Terminal: cp ~/Downloads/tools/* . (Don't forget the last period.)

You'll also need to have the following programs installed. Please follow the installation instructions on their respective websites:
- ExifTool
- ImageMagick
- ufraw

Conversion process
1. Copy the file you want to process to your Desktop. Let's suppose the file is called IMG_0002.CR2 for this example.
2. Open the Terminal.app program. (You can find it in the /Applications/Utilities/-folder.)
3. Type cd ~/Desktop to change directory to your Desktop-folder
4. Type ~/bin/cr2hdr IMG_0002.CR2 to convert the image to an HDR DNG-file.
5. Type convert IMG_0002.DNG IMG_0002.TIFF to convert the image to TIFF. (In case you are able to open the DNG-file in your favourite editor / photo manager, you can skip this step.)

I hope it is a bit more clear now. Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version