Hit or Miss

Started by [email protected], August 18, 2013, 05:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[email protected]

Hello, been using ML 2.3 on 5D Mark III now for a couple months. Amazing stuff guys, seriously. Hats off to the team at Magic Lantern.
Initially, I used KomputerBay cards 1000x and the result was good. I switched over to Lexar 1000x hoping for a little more speed.
The obvious answer to my question is "the cards dude", but hear me out please..

On my last 3 shoots, sometimes it records correctly giving me a perfect RAW file, converted to DNGs and then to AE for 4444 encoding.
OTHER times it records the RAW file, which gives me alternating images of the last good RAW file. And yet other times, alternating pink frames.

I really can't put my thumb on what is causing some to be good and bad. I LOVE, LOVE the hack, but in reality I'm not sure I can continue to use it and lose footage from shoots. Is the simple solution to wipe my SD (ML resident card) clean, re-format my CF cards and try from scratch or is this a known issue?

I'm shooting 1880x1024, 30fps in batches of 3-6 seconds per shot. Any help is greatly appreciated    thanks, Dan

Midphase

Are you shooting in Crop Mode?

What revision ML are you using?

limey

Turn on all the hacks and tweaks?

[email protected]

Hello, not using the "zoom in" crop mode.. I think that's what you're asking. Just shooting in 1880x1024 RAW.
I did the FPS override so I could shoot 29.97fps (30) for TV. Lost a ton of footage recently, bummer. I still have the RAW
files, any chance of recovery?

Moving forward I'm going to try a clean install from a new SD card, but I'm weary. I LOVE this firmware!!!! Just want
to be able to rely on it

thanks
Dan

Midphase

Dan,

Even at this stage ML raw is highly bleeding edge stuff, so your desire for a reliable camera that you might be able to use even on commercial shoots should take the "alpha" nature of this hack in consideration.

Shooting at 30fps definitely stretches the capabilities of the card, I find that any resolution which requires above 90-ish mb/sec is potentially asking for trouble (and that assumes you have a good CF card).

If you're not shooting in Crop mode, I don't think you need to do an FPS override. Simply set up your Canon menu to shoot at 30fps and then ML should behave accordingly (I think). Most TV programming nowadays is 23.976 (except for news), so unless your client is specifically requesting your deliverables at 29.97, you might be just fine shooting at 24.

You haven't mentioned what version of ML you're running, but I can tell you that the August 6th version has been quite stable for me.

Also, is your CF card formatted as ExFAT? It might help if you do that.

[email protected]

Thanks for the heads up, that makes sense.

I ended up uninstalling and putting the Aug 6 build for the Mark III on there. Used the Komputerbay cards 1000x and it defaulted to 1080p 29.97 based I guess
on the new camera settings. With the fresh install, it works like a charm, better than before. I'm really liking this build.

Couple of stats:
5D Mark III
Camera set to 30fps ALL-1
Magic Lantern Aug 6 build
1920x1080
Magic lantern @ 29.97fps
It was recording between 90-96 mb/sec
Average File Length: 5-7 seconds, approx 200 frames per shot

I rolled the dice and used it for a commercial earlier this evening, everything worked.
Lot's of "action" and "cut"s, which is much easier in post then just rolling.

Thanks again for the help..
Dan