Shutter speed in video

Started by The northern light blog, August 16, 2013, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The northern light blog

Hi all,

I am getting all my equipment ready for the winter time, where I plan to use ML for low FPS and slow shutter speed. I did some trials last year and it worked perfectly, I could choose the FPS I wanted. Now, with the same card and ML, I can set the FPS down to 0.2, but the shutter speed will not go below 30 in LiveView. If I check the display with ML information, I see that ML decides automatically what is the best shutter speed.
Am I missing something? I would like to decide exactly the exposure time. I tried changing the EXPO value, but it does not allow me to do anything (values won't change when I move the wheel)
I am using a 60D, and the rest of the features I have used work perfectly.

I am using a Samyang 14mm manual (non-chipped) lens, but it is exactly the same setup I used last year. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: The northern light blog on August 16, 2013, 08:49:26 PM
Am I missing something?

Yes, you are missing in the Expo menu you have to turn on exposure override.

Canon eos m

Hi,

Was random surfing and found this post. Tried the stuff you both discussed. This is cool. Quick question. How do I get a fps rate of more than 31.5 from the camera. I was able to go down below 30fps easy but wanted to the opposite to go to 4000(maybe to 8000fps ).
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

ilguercio

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 17, 2013, 05:14:07 AM
Hi,

Was random surfing and found this post. Tried the stuff you both discussed. This is cool. Quick question. How do I get a fps rate of more than 31.5 from the camera. I was able to go down below 30fps easy but wanted to the opposite to go to 4000(maybe to 8000fps ).
I got it working at over 9000!
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Canon eos m

Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

The northern light blog

@ItsMeLenny: Thank you for your reply; I have tried that, but I only manage to get it down to 1/30 sec even with exposure override. However, if I hit the "info" button until I get the ML layout in LV, it will automatically decide which is the best exposure (up to 1.8"), but that is something I cannot control by myself.
I have now uninstalled and re-installed ML completely to be sure that I did not mess up some controls: Then set video exposure to "Manual", 0.2 fps and exposure override ON. Doing the simple math, this should allow me to use up to roughly 5 seconds of exposure (0.2 fps = 1 frame/5 seconds). It does not matter how much I turn the wheel, it will still show 1/30 in the default LV, and the ML LV will just decide by itself... Any thoughts?

Xabi

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: The northern light blog on August 18, 2013, 09:57:41 AM
@ItsMeLenny: Thank you for your reply; I have tried that, but I only manage to get it down to 1/30 sec even with exposure override. However, if I hit the "info" button until I get the ML layout in LV, it will automatically decide which is the best exposure (up to 1.8"), but that is something I cannot control by myself.
I have now uninstalled and re-installed ML completely to be sure that I did not mess up some controls: Then set video exposure to "Manual", 0.2 fps and exposure override ON. Doing the simple math, this should allow me to use up to roughly 5 seconds of exposure (0.2 fps = 1 frame/5 seconds). It does not matter how much I turn the wheel, it will still show 1/30 in the default LV, and the ML LV will just decide by itself... Any thoughts?

Xabi

You're not talking about FPS then, you're talking about shutter speed.
Shutter speed is that 1/30, the shutter is opening for one 30th of a second.
To get lower in shutter speed go into the "Expo" menu and turn on "Exp.Override".

The northern light blog

@ItsMeLenny: sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am talking about the shutter speed in video (that was the name of the topic). I have tried doing what you said, but that is the problem that I can not manage to manage.
However, I have also found out that other features started to fail, such as bulb ramping. I tried uninstalling and re-installing ML on my 60D, but nothing was  fixed.
I am wondering if there is something wrong with my camera, since it used to work before. Any comment/help will be appreciated :)

ItsMeLenny

To get slower shutter speeds you can't do it from canons live view.
You have to go into the ML menu (turn on expo. override), and then
go into "Expo" and change it under "Shutter" then you can press left to make it go down further.

As for bulb ramping, I think they removed it, it's now ETTR.

Betelgeuza

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on August 28, 2013, 09:41:46 AM

Shutter speed is that 1/30, the shutter is opening for one 30th of a second.

i think in Video mode shutter is opened all the time..and it not click 30 times per second like u describe..only recording 30 frames per second

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: Betelgeuza on October 22, 2013, 05:16:08 AM
i think in Video mode shutter is opened all the time..and it not click 30 times per second like u describe..only recording 30 frames per second

Incorrect. True that the mirror doesn't swing in video mode. But the shutter is determined by when it dumps the sensor data.

1%

Yea, its open all the time. The "shutter" speed is just blanking.

maverick891

Quote from: The northern light blog on October 21, 2013, 07:25:49 PM
@ItsMeLenny: sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am talking about the shutter speed in video (that was the name of the topic). I have tried doing what you said, but that is the problem that I can not manage to manage.
However, I have also found out that other features started to fail, such as bulb ramping. I tried uninstalling and re-installing ML on my 60D, but nothing was  fixed.
I am wondering if there is something wrong with my camera, since it used to work before. Any comment/help will be appreciated :)

Go to FPS override menu and press Q to open up submenu. In the submenu select optimise for low light instead of exact fps. Done :)

The northern light blog

Thanks again!

I have installed and uninstalled ML in my 60D, tried different SD cards, and still I could not manage to decide the exposure time itself manually. However, if I set the exposure to "Auto", then I get long exposure times (1/fps). But I still cannot control it. Anyway, it is good enough as it is now, thanks for all the tips!