Risk of using ML on 5D MKIII

Started by gr8pics, August 16, 2013, 08:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8pics

I know it says use at own risk and void of guarantee, but how are experience from you users that have installed and used it, have you experienced any problems, or bricking of the camera, or is it just a precaution thing that something MIGHT happen?
Would love to install it, but since im a pro still photographer without any backup camera at the moment and using it for work 7 days a week, i wont risk it, if its likely i can run into any problems  :-X

Thoughts and opinions?
Sorry if this Q have been posted before, but i couldnt find any through search function :)

gr8pics

deletedAcc.0021

Run ... don't look back.  Jk ... the only issues I've heard reported for the 5DM3 is as of now the bootflag can not be turned off.  Some people have reported delayed wake up time and missing shots.  Other than that, it opens up a whole new camera.

Read as much as you can here before taking the plunge.

I use it on both my 600D's for production work without any issues.

hjfilmspeed

I have been using the nightly builds for serveral months now with now issues. Earlier builds of RAW ML were a little buggie but i have been running June 27th build for a while now without any hiccups. Be sure to carefully research the installation process!!!!! There are different ways to install on different cameras and there are different builds which require unique installation!!!! This is most important!!! If you are not sure... dont do it. Remember once installed, the boot flag currently for the 5d3 cannot be uninstalled. But you can run the camera with out your dedicated ML card and the camera will function as normal. Run ML from a separate dedicated sd card and record to CF. Also you cannot just delete ML files from a ML bootable card if you want to use it as a normal card you have to format it in computer. If you just delete and put that bootable card into your camwithout ML files on it, your cam will not boot! Just keep ML cards in a marked cases when not in use. Also never remove any cards from the camera until you see the comfirmation light. when you open the card door wait a second or so and you will see the light blink. Mine blinks right after the door is open. Only then can you pull cards out. Also pay careful attention to your cam. If you see something that doesnt look right DO NOT JUST TURN THE CAM OFFFFFF!!!!!!! WHEN IN DOUGHT, PULL BATTERY OUT!!!!! At this point i havent had any bugginess on june 27 build but that doesnt mean you wont depending on what you do. Alot of the time bugs are just user error. read each function carefully. When shooting raw be sure to have your auto power off in canon menu turned to off. canon firmware does not realize when your shooting raw and would shut down in mid recording. Komputerbay 1000x 64 gig is the way to go for non ML RAW record card. Make sure you do you homework on any of the functions on ML. This firmware is for PROFESSIONALS!!!! YOU MUST KNOW YOUR STUFF!!!!!!! If you are at all not confident about this, dont do it. Even after all this there is noooo guarantee that your cam will power on the next time u want to use it so coming from me and all on the ML team "IF IT BREAKS, YOU GET TO KEEP BOTH PIECES!" Use at your own risk!!! Its no ones fault but yours if it doesnt work. Also if things do go wrong PULL BATTERY OUT!!! If you need help go to camera emergency department AND BE PATIENT!!!!! You need to stay come and not demand assistance. These guys are working a lot for free with little help. I like to think that at the very worst you could send it to canon but they will probably charge you if they can even get it to work. All i have to say is RESEARCH EVERYTHING YOU DO!!! Hope this helps

gr8pics

Thanks for the heads up, that sounds like i def NOT should try this...  :o

ilguercio

I think you don't understand what the project is all about and why we got all these warnings scattered around.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

gr8pics

Well, thats the reason i signed up here, to find out more, but i suspect Canon themselves arent to happy about this, hence the "warnings" ;)
But still...
Hows the difference in quality when it comes to the files between 5D MKII an MKIII, are there noticeable ones during daylight shootings?
Im thinking i could get a used MKII to experiment with, not being afraid if something goes wrong.
After been using my MKIII for a year or two now, i noticed its has more frequent "error" notifications than the MKII, in fact, MKII didnt have any at all, and maybe that is a sign that MKIII is more sensitive to "alterations" than the previous one, or?

gr8pics

Stedda

Sounds like you have a defective MK III in the year I've had mine I havent seen a single warning or error.

Ive also been running ML since it was available for MK III and have yet to have it crash once.

and IMO if Canon had any single issue with ML theyd block it, yet every camera is able to load the firmware. How do you get the idea Canon isnt happy? ML is selling cameras for them and Id bet its a lot.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3