Direct DNG no longer supported cc 7.1 (was it ever?) and CDNG aliasing issue

Started by DanJam, December 10, 2013, 09:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanJam

Hey guys. Been on the ML forums ALL day and can't seem to find an answer.

I'll start with .DNG support. Unless I stumbled upon some fluke glitch or I crossed into a parallel universe where things have drastically changed, a few weeks ago I edited .DNGS directly in an adobe cc 7.1 timeline with little to no issue except with minor playback issues. Today when I tried to import dngs (rawanizer and raw2dng) I'm receiving a message that says media is not supported or something within that realm.

I KNOW I edited DNGS a few weeks ago because I was delighted to be able to import, edit, and export a quick project for class. I thought the workflow was amazing sans frame hiccups. Was there a ghost patch that we're unaware of? I've read a ton of people are having the same issue. Adobe even commented and said that it's not supported, so what gives? Adobe give'th, adobe take it away'th? One funny glitch I remember having was I couldn't see the DNG in the preview window so I'd need to throw it on the sequence to watch the clip. It was a time saver just being able to toss it on the timeline.

Before we continue, YES I know CDng is supported and NO I did not EVER play with CDNG until THIS MORNING. Seriously and literally never touched a CDNG file until 12/10/13. The project weeks back were using DNGS created by Rawanizer.

Next...

I thought because now I'm having issue with direct importing of DNGS I'd go the CDng using raw2CDng. Set gamma to +1, no pink issues, and viola - premiere cc 7.1 accepted it.

Now the issue I'm having is heavy moire and aliasing issues. I've followed and used different workflows, but it's tough to go backward when progress in the workflow world has only moved onward.

I understand people have different workflows, and I'm all for it, however I'm no longer interested in using Resolve or any round trip methods, especially since they don't seem necessary anymore, they just seem preferential.

Hopefully someone can shed some light :-D!

I'm using a Windows Machine, Gtx 670, magic lantern 5d2, adobe cc 7.1.

Thanks ahead of time ML fam.

reddeercity

What version build was the raw2dng converter ?
did you do any preprocessing to the dng before import?
I will test this on my PC with Premiere Pro CC.

DanJam

Thanks for the response!

I didn't do any preprocessing.

I plugged in my CF card, dragged the .RAW files to my project folder, and used Rawanizer 0.6.0 for the majority of the converts, and plopped them right into my premiere timeline.

Let me know your results! I'm wondering if maybe I just need to do a fresh install.

chmee

The most important Thing: The native DNG-Support is limited to BMCC (and same behaving) DNG-Files. (16bit packed into 12bit/log debiased to blacklevel 0) They reduced their own "Universal"-Fileformat to one kind of File-Content. 14bit bitdepth wont work in any way. So, talking about your Findings, raw2cdng in combination with Premiere is far from being perfect. All these Problems are not present when working with Speedgrade.

So, to be honest, i didnt found a charming workflow inside the adobe-world. but i want. i hope, we can make a christmas-gift, with a functional cdng-premiere-workflow.

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

DanJam

Quote from: chmee on December 10, 2013, 09:49:50 PM
The most important Thing: The native DNG-Support is limited to BMCC (and same behaving) DNG-Files. (16bit packed into 12bit/log debiased to blacklevel 0) They reduced their own "Universal"-Fileformat to one kind of File-Content. 14bit bitdepth wont work in any way. So, talking about your Findings, raw2cdng in combination with Premiere is far from being perfect. All these Problems are not present when working with Speedgrade.

So, to be honest, i didnt found a charming workflow inside the adobe-world. but i want. i hope, we can make a christmas-gift, with a functional cdng-premiere-workflow.

regards chmee

So it was a fluke that I got regular non-bmcc dngs to work a few weeks back then?

Also, what if I just used the 10-12 bit depth options for cdngs for now directly in premiere? Do you think I'd still encounter the heavy aliasing issues?

Thanks!

edit: btw - I appreciate all the help and what the creators of raw2dng, raw2cdng, and rawanizer have offered the community!

chmee

:) I hadnt the Subscription as CC 7.0 came, so i havent seen this miracle :) But i read a lot, that it worked, here and there. So, actually i think, they simplified the dng-importer with 7.1.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

DanJam

Quote from: chmee on December 10, 2013, 10:01:09 PM
:) I hadnt the Subscription as CC 7.0 came, so i havent seen this miracle :) But i read a lot, that it worked, here and there. So, actually i think, they simplified the dng-importer with 7.1.

Huh, what do you know. I just tried it on a clip. It's noticeable, but definitely not as heavy. o.o!

The trade off I think is the overall picture quality.

Decisions, decisions.

aaphotog

Maybe you edited the dngs in after effects and are now trying to edit them in Premiere pro???
I've been able to edit the dngs in after effects since almost the launch of ML raw. Not in premiere though.

DanJam

Quote from: aaphotog on December 11, 2013, 06:00:26 AM
Maybe you edited the dngs in after effects and are now trying to edit them in Premiere pro???
I've been able to edit the dngs in after effects since almost the launch of ML raw. Not in premiere though.

I own AE but use Premiere exclusively  :-\. So strange.