Batch HDR Toning Script for Photoshop

Started by dmilligan, August 15, 2013, 02:47:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

1. Replace 'kMergeToHDRDeghostBest' as per reply #35 of this thread, with a number, that number would be the index of the image you want to be the deghost image. (see the next reply)

2. The white point preview is just a preview, and you never see the dialog when the script runs

dmilligan

okay, so since several ppl wanted it and I had some time and I went ahead and made the deghost option a drop down, you can pick "Best", "Off", or the index of an image (it's 0-based I think, so this is how I coded it). I have not tested this, so please check it and let me know if works correctly.

tibungla

You are the man! Thanks for continuing to develop this!

I'm experiencing one glitch, but otherwise it works great! Here's what's happening:

Sometimes when I select a folder of images and launch the script PS comes up with a dialog something like: "Merging files 1-3 of 19" when I only have 18 images in the folder. When this happens the script fails. My work around is to create a new folder, select the images and move them. Then run the script again. This seems to work consistently.

I'm running this in OS 10.9.2 on a 13" MacBook Pro.

dmilligan

Did you try using the 'File Filter' box? This is what it is for. Many times the OS creates hidden temp files in folders, that is probably what is happening. Example usage: *.cr2

Pablito

I have been trying to Batch HDR some RAW HDR video converted with raw2cdng but the script doesn't work on DNG's.
Using DNG's in Photoshop CC on Windows 7, I get:- "Error: No such element, Check number of files in source folder". 
But it works fine using CR2's.
It is beyond my skills but I'm wondering if this can be modified to work on DNG's.
The Merge to HDR script works on DNG's so wouldn't it be possible to get the Batch HDR script to work on DNG's?
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |
24-70mm f2.8L MkII | 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkII | Sigma 12-24 II | Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB CF & 16GB SD

dmilligan

it should work just fine with DNGs, see the reply directly above yours

Pablito

Thanks for replying Dave.
It's encouraging to know it does work with DNG's as this will make a great workflow with high quality output.
I've been using the filter, (*.dng) but without success.
I was using CS6 and upgraded to PS CC but still no luck.

Using Merge to HDR Pro on a couple of dng's with ISO 100 & 1600 creates great looking HDR tiffs.
I would love to batch it for video.
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |
24-70mm f2.8L MkII | 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkII | Sigma 12-24 II | Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB CF & 16GB SD

dmilligan

I can't really diagnose what's going on without more info. Perhaps post a screen shot of your source folder and the script dialog. Describe exactly when you get the error. Are you able to run the script successfully with other file types or is it just DNGs that fail?

Pablito

When I select the source folder of DNG's and output, add file filter *.dng and press OK and run the script, I get the error; "No such element, Check the number of files in source folder".
It seems to work ok with .CR2's, just not .dng's for me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCkZ_iRaK0_OXd5TGNGa0Jxb1k/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCkZ_iRaK0_VFNQb2tzOVdJdDQ/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCkZ_iRaK0_b2JNeUM3TERVeFk/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByCkZ_iRaK0_MkNpckJjRHVNcVk/edit?usp=sharing
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |

dmilligan

ok, it seems like you've got everything setup correctly, it should work, would you mind uploading a couple sample DNGs, so I can debug it on my computer?

Pablito

5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |

dmilligan

Ok, I think I've finally figured it out, the DNGs fail to merge because they are missing exif metadata, so the photoshop merge script doesn't know what the EV values are. When I try to merge them manually I get a popup asking me to manually enter exposure data. The script runs in non-interactive mode (for obvious reasons), so instead of asking for this data, it simply fails.

So, to use the script you're going to have to have DNGs that have exposure metadata or it's just not going to work.

Pablito

Thanks so much David.
raw2cdng obviously doesn't preserve exif data.
I'll try Abobe dngconverter.
Damn. Adobe didn't work.
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |

dmilligan

Are you recording with mlv_rec? Only mlv actually records the needed metadata to be put in the DNGs, raw_rec does not store any exposure metadata (converters like raw2cdng don't add this metadata b/c they can't, they don't know what it is b/c its not even recorded in the original raw file)

Alternatively, you can probably add the metadata manually with exiftool

garry23

Related to the above, I successfully batch add EXIF data to timelapse silent DNGs with EXIFToolGUI.

I find the GUI version of EXIFTool more accessible to simpletons like me :-o).

No command line 'stuff' to worry about.

Pablito

Thanks David.
Once I read your post I realised without using MLV RAW I wouldn't get exif data and couldn't use the HDR Batch script.
I have yet to try an MLV HDR video Batched but will report back once I have.
And will try the Exif tool on some RAW footage.
Thanks again.
5D3.1.2.3-2014-08-07 |

dvdr

Hi

stumbled over your script - just what I need to prepare my bracketed exposures for a gigapixel panorama....
But unfortunately, I am getting this error:

Fehler 60: Nicht wohlgeformt (ungültiger Token).  (trying to translate it: "error 60: not properly formed/ well formed - invalid token", whatever that means)
Linie: 719
->          <td id="LC74" class="blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line">{</td>

This is happening in both Photoshop CS6 and in CC2015 on my Mac, running El Capitan.

Hope, you can help me getting this to work... Thanks in advance!

dmilligan

Looks like you downloaded and are trying to run the webpage the script is on rather than the script itself.

dmilligan

Looks like you downloaded and are trying to run the webpage the script is on rather than the script itself.

dvdr

Yes, you were right - it's a bit tricky to download the script with a MAC - now I managed (I had downloaded the html from you provided link when choosing "save target").

May I ask another question, that came up, when I was using the script?
I chose not to use your preview function to create the proper development settings, but chose to create a development preset in Photoshop (CC) itself, so I could get back to it some other time.
Here's, what I encountered:
- I could not access that preset from using "browse" in your script, since it is stored in a application support/Adobe-subfolder under "Library" (I have found no way to access that hidden folder from that browse-window, so I accessed it via the finder (revealing the hidden library-folder) and copied the preset to some other,accessable  location)
- when loading that very preset, the sliders in your script's window did not reflect the chosen settings in the preset, only slider, that was changing, was the vibrance slider, which mounted to a value of around 45000
- also, the toning curve was not loaded from the preset. Default is 0,0,255,255, and it was 0, 38, 120,150 - should have been something like 0,0,14,14,45,50,.....255,255  to reflect the changes I made in the preset-file I created in photoshop. So I wrote down the values from photoshop and manually entered them in the bottom line where the toning curve values are.
- even, when storing the preset-file in the same directory, where the other presets of Photoshop are (so that it appears in the dropdown list in your script), the abovementioned problems appear

I hope, that I did not completely misunderstand the way, your script works and am asking stupid questions...
Thanks again for helping and providing the script!

dmilligan

Adobe may have changed the preset file format. It's just some simple, proprietary, undocumented format, so I just reversed engineered it, but that was a long time ago (CS6 I think) and it could have changed since then.

benwstevens

This thing is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

I just can't get it to load any file (jpg, raw, etc) from the input menu. They'll load in the preview window but not in the input window, so I can't use it.

Here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pb0z9fstyy1szu/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-12%20at%2010.23.00%20PM.png?dl=0

A much less important issue is that I get an "error loading file" message when I try to load my .xmp ACR preset file.

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1a0gnpuov9a2wi/Screen%20Shot%202016-07-12%20at%2010.23.59%20PM.png?dl=0

Any ideas on getting it to import the pictures? I have to photograph 250 apartments in HDR and would loooooove to use your script for it.

benwstevens

I'm such a goof. I thought it said choose input files. It said folder. Got that part figured out. Sorry for wasting your time!

Post approved after following reply.  // Audionut

dmilligan

You select a folder, not files. It will batch all files in the folder. See instructions linked in OP: https://github.com/davidmilligan/PhotoshopBatchHDR/wiki

You can't load xmp files as presets. You must load an HDR toning preset file (this might not even work any more).