Help Me

Started by houseofdivver, August 14, 2013, 10:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houseofdivver

Hey guys,

Ok I'm a noob and need your help. I have a 650d. I want to install ML and am only starting this dslr filmmaking stuff. I'm helping my friend by filming videos for his youtube channel. I'm recording him live with a rode video mic straight to the camera and i want to use ML to help me with this. Can anyone guide me to a version with functioning audio if at all possible. Also any other advice about the project would be greatly appreciated.

Slainte
Conor

Rick M

The thread for the 650D port is here:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7473.0

You can check it out, but you'll see in the first post there that they don't have the audio functions working on it yet; if you read through the thread this might have changed, but usually they update the first post.

I will mention, since I use the audio controls with my Rode on my T3i, that if/when it starts working, I would use following settings so that you override the pre-amps inside the camera and get clean audio:

Override Setting: On
Analog Gain: 0 dB
Mic Boost: +20 dB, or however much is appropriate
In Digital Gain... section: (This is most important)
0 dB and AGC Off

Then you can turn headphone monitoring on as needed. I've noticed that I hear some noise in my headphones, but the recording itself doesn't have any.

I use the Rode Videomic Pro, which comes with a built in +20 dB that I can turn on. In my experience, it's absolutely essential to have the +20 dB, because you need the extra boost to help get good sound that can override the pre-amps and still be loud enough to use when you're done. I've also used some Sennheiser Lav mics before and done similar things on the microphone end in terms of boosting them to capture good audio.