Music video in RAW and H.264

Started by TrentonAlan, August 14, 2013, 05:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrentonAlan

Hey guys! I've been following the Magic Lantern RAW developments since the beginning of June, but I just had a chance to install it on my T3i and my roommate's 5Dm2. I've been using ML on my camera for months, but this is my first shoot with raw.

This is a music video I shot last weekend. All the shots of the song performance were in h.264 solely for stability and card space (I only have one 32GB 600x card for the 5Dm2), and all the B-roll footage was shot 1880x800 raw. The raw video looks so infinitely better than the h.264 that it makes me want to shoot everything in raw. I graded everything and processed the raw files in DaVinci Resolve Lite by chroma-blurring the pink artifacts out.

Thank you so much ML team!!! You guys are friggin' ballers!

maxotics

Perfect showcase of how the film-look, higher dynamic range, of RAW can capture certain moods better than the contrast rich look of today's video CODECs.  Ditto the ML team!!!  I did feel the RAW color correction was a tad bit green.  Or maybe it needed a tad more red.  N any case, I loved it!  Or maybe more contrast?  There's so much you can do with RAW footage it's difficult to decide (for me) which way to go.

TrentonAlan

Quote from: maxotics on August 14, 2013, 07:19:09 PM
Perfect showcase of how the film-look, higher dynamic range, of RAW can capture certain moods better than the contrast rich look of today's video CODECs.  Ditto the ML team!!!  I did feel the RAW color correction was a tad bit green.  Or maybe it needed a tad more red.  N any case, I loved it!  Or maybe more contrast?  There's so much you can do with RAW footage it's difficult to decide (for me) which way to go.

Yeah, I properly white balanced everything in Resolve removing the green tint that seems to be present in the DNGs out of the camera, but I basically did a few things for coloring. I used the default Rec.709 color space to decode the file instead of using the BMD film log image. Then, I raised the black level and lightened the shadows/darkened the highlights to give it a lower contrast and more film-y look, and then I added a little teal to the shadows and orange to the highlights. This is my first ever work I've done with raw, and I've only personally been doing video for about 3 months, so I'm still fairly new to this whole world. I'm not sure what's "correct" in coloring, so I'm just experimenting with different stuff, and I liked the greener tint over the more red tint. Heres what the original file looks like vs. the graded shot:

Original

Graded

The great thing about video is that, like any other creative field, there are thousands of interpretations for grading. I'm learning! Thanks for the feedback!