50D Raw, Day 3

Started by maxotics, August 14, 2013, 05:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxotics

I tried to make the G5's AVCHD footage less contrasty, more detail, like the 50D RAW.  Couldn't do it.  Magic Lantern has NOT DROPPED a frame yet on me.  I even had my wife direct me in coloring and she couldn't get me to get the AVCHD to look right to her.  She ended up choosing the 50D RAW and she has zero interest in this stuff. 

ShootingStars

I don't know, some of the AVCHD shots were better, to take advantage of RAW you need to color grade properly, which means more time in post.

maxotics

ALL the shots of the AVCHD, out of the camera, are better!  :)  Believe me, I'm as equally impressed by what Panasonic has done with their MFT cameras.  I'm loving them.  The interesting thing about photography is the viewer (not taker) did not see the original scene.  It's just a pretty picture/video to them.  Again, all the MFT's video is beautiful to me.  However, the RAW footage is capturing a way-more accurate reality, both in lighting and color.  Faces (skin) is where I believe the compressed video really shows its weaknesses.  This RAW video is the first video I've ever shot where I'm getting (to me) naturally looking faces.

Yes, there is more workflow, but (despite my current shortcomings) it is not that hard, or time-consuming, if you don't go for perfect.  I copy the RAW files to my computer and run them through RAWanizer STRAIGHT to Cineform 422.  It takes, maybe 15 seconds per clip?  I then drop the Cineform clips into Vegas Studio (the cheap version) and the AVCHD clips.  If the AVCHD is good then I'm good of course.  BUT, if I want to make changes the Cineform 422 responds, the AVCHD does not (for me).  In other words, my video is getting better and better, the more I learn about grading.  The AVCHD is more or less static.  Again, I love it. 

@ShootingStars, have you tried RAW?  If not, try the simplest workflow like me.  I think you'll be glad you did.

dremelv21

you have to set correctly your shutter speed!

maxotics

There's a lot of things I need to set correctly!  :D  Can you be more specific?

Here's another test I did comparing D600.  Hopefully I'm getting closer to better comparisons

DJHaze596

Looks like you are not setting a proper white balance on your 50D or it could be the fact your just doing too much processing in post.  The last scene in the first video of this thread.  i can tell the white balance is off.  It's too green.

maxotics

From another guy's suggestion I plunked down the $80 for a color calibration card.  I also turned off AWB (should have known better).  Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

dremelv21

Set your shutter speed in 1/46 and your iso in 160, or 320...etc