Bryce Canyon Milky Way Timelapse 4K

Started by xNiNELiVES, August 12, 2013, 08:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

This pertains to the website because it was shot with ML Intervolemeter:

[4096x2304, 16:9]

Tichro

I have only one word for this...
Absolutely stunning,,, OK actually that's 2 words, even so that is a very nice timelapse.
I have become slightly addicted to making timelapse sequences but I'm using ML's silent picture feature, I don't want to wear the shutter out on my 550D.

I also wish that I had access to a location that has a truly dark night sky, there's far too much light pollution where I live.
Damn those street lights  >:(

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Tichro on August 12, 2013, 08:55:19 PM
I have only one word for this...
Absolutely stunning,,, OK actually that's 2 words, even so that is a very nice timelapse.
I have become slightly addicted to making timelapse sequences but I'm using ML's silent picture feature, I don't want to wear the shutter out on my 550D.

I also wish that I had access to a location that has a truly dark night sky, there's far too much light pollution where I live.
Damn those street lights  >:(

Thanks!

Yeah living in northern california (bay area) sucks for stargazing. I went to the darkest recorded sky in the world: Natural Bridges National Monument. It was verified to be a class two sky (bortle sky chart). The milky way was so bright it cast a shadow on the clouds. Yes clouds. The entire sky was full of clouds except for tiny patches. I flew and drove 1000 miles to find the sky cloudy. With the pictures I got the milky way looks sooo colorful and sharp. It looks as if its already edited. Bryce canyon definitely had a moderate amount of light pollution. I have a timelapse of Moab, it was mostly clear but some clouds came in... Moab has worst light pollution than bryce canyon... I'll upload the timelapse of Moab soon...

Canon eos m

Interesting picutre! This picture rocks and is truly awesome. Mind sharing the workflow?
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 13, 2013, 11:31:15 AM
Interesting picutre! This picture rocks and is truly awesome. Mind sharing the workflow?

Yeah I import the photos -> open with ACR (Photoshop CS6), increase the a bit over a stop and give a really high contrast curve, correct vignetting, CA, etc. Then downsize to a lower resolution close to what you want. Then crop the image to give a 16:9 Aspect ratio. -> Export to jpeg or tiffs -> Open all exported (edited) photos with quicktime pro as an image sequence. Then export the clip.

You can also change the size. Luckily ACR actually allows a horizontal resolution of 4096 so no other resizing was necessary. If for example I wanted my  timelapse to be 1920x1080 and photoshop allows only the downscale of images to a bit over 2k, I'd then have to downscale upon the export in quicktime.

Here's the moab timelapse:

[4096x2304, 16:9]

thefix

Nice work, it puts my similar post to shame.
600D

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: thefix on August 14, 2013, 11:56:08 PM
Nice work, it puts my similar post to shame.

Thanks!

Yours isn't bad at all, you just didn't compensate the movement of the milky way in your timelapse. You have to purposely aim your camera to the direction the milky way will come into frame. Use the iOS app starwalk. Its very helpful.

The second thing you didn't do was edit correctly. You need to have a very high contrast curve set up to contrast the dust lanes of the milky way from the black surrounding (space).

thefix

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on August 15, 2013, 12:23:07 AM
Thanks!

Yours isn't bad at all, you just didn't compensate the movement of the milky way in your timelapse. You have to purposely aim your camera to the direction the milky way will come into frame. Use the iOS app starwalk. Its very helpful.

The second thing you didn't do was edit correctly. You need to have a very high contrast curve set up to contrast the dust lanes of the milky way from the black surrounding (space).

Thanks for the constructive criticism, I will have to try what you suggest next time. You are correct about the editing I didn't do any editing it was exactly as it came out of the 600D. I just might have to invest in Photoshop and ditch my open source program gimp for any edits I try in the future.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)
600D

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: thefix on August 15, 2013, 12:34:26 AM
Thanks for the constructive criticism, I will have to try what you suggest next time. You are correct about the editing I didn't do any editing it was exactly as it came out of the 600D. I just might have to invest in Photoshop and ditch my open source program gimp for any edits I try in the future.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

No problem. One more thing, make sure you shoot in RAW.