Sharper video, REAL cinematic look?

Started by aaphotog, August 14, 2013, 03:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Now, we have the 180 degree rule.
for cinematic look, they say to shoot at around 24fps with 180 degree shutter so about 1/48 shutter speed.
BUT, I notice that when most people shoot with these settings, it looks ok, but real videos have a MUCH crisper less blurry image. Just take any movie and pause it when a person is moving(not FAST of course) and you can still see perfect image. Now pause your video with these settings, everything is really really blurry.
I mean, even folks who shoot the black magic, like in the link below. Pause it anywhere on the video with movement and it still looks crisp! anyway to get this quality. Sure, I guess the slow shutter speed creates a filmic look by using the blur it creates, but are we creating TOO much blur?

video here
https://vimeo.com/68307230

1%

I'm only a fan of this rule in regards to spinning things.

aaphotog

Quote from: 1% on August 14, 2013, 04:30:38 AM
So, if you were to shoot say a scene to a movie. What would your boundaries be?

Bjlemenager

180 is only a rule to be broken once you grasp the concept and theory, but I'm not sure i even recognize this issue in my clips. Another thing may be the CMOS scanning is giving you artifacts, but I'm not sure.

ShootingStars

What shutter speed would you recommended for SHARP shooting? I feel the same way about the 180 rule as well...

Rewind

The lack of detail in h.264 is what makes you think that way. Just shoot RAW and you'll get the proper detailed motion blur.
Also, take to the account the rolling shutter effect. Because of it, once in a while you unavoidably will come up with some troubles like motion "tearing", but 1/48 is a good start for almost any situation.

falkor

correct me if im wrong,
but i get what your saying, and i want to make cleaner movies/videos also.. i thought people were just using the 60fps with 120shutterspeed.

and if not, how do we get what he's talking about ?  (if i may include detailed settings, as im a newb, and have a slight grasp on video)

animanus

I have no problem putting shutter speed up in scenes without a lot of motion but there is definitely a stacatto effect, even in a static landscape where a bird flies past, but i dont think its so bad, but probably good not to pump it too much.

i also have no problem shooting at 30 shutter and 25fps for an extra boost in low light scenes, i find the motion blur quite pleasant and the extra (stop?) of light is great to have.

Shield

Quote from: 1% on August 14, 2013, 04:30:38 AM

Or water fountains/sprinklers.  Couldn't agree more.  I have no qualms about speeding up the shutter to 1/800 if it means I don't have to use a ND filter.
On the Canon 70D in program auto mode I've seen it go F/10 and 1/640 in bright sunlight, and the subsequent video looked fine to me.

jose_ugs

Quote from: Rewind on August 31, 2013, 09:09:20 AM
The lack of detail in h.264 is what makes you think that way. Just shoot RAW and you'll get the proper detailed motion blur.

This thought alone is worth testing out! Too bad i don't have a fast enough card(RAW) to try a side by side .h264 / RAW compare... Somebody willing to test it out?