Canon CPS service - I'm stunned.

Started by Shield, August 14, 2013, 01:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shield

5d3, purchased the end of November. Under warranty.
SD card stops working. Camera will not power on with any SD card inserted; tried 5 different ones.

I'm a CPS member. Sent camera back to Canon last week for repair.
Camera has never been dropped, dinged, scratched, out in the rain, harmed in any way. Always babied. Camera was in mint condition when I mailed it back (mailed back in very safe packaging.

Get an email today that states:

I called CPS services and asked to see PROOF of the damage. They are supposed to get back with me tomorrow. I am stunned. Beside myself. If there was even a time when I thought it could have been damaged I would certainly admit it. But there wasn't. Ever.

What would you do if you KNEW the camera wasn't damaged? Also especially if you're reading about other people on here having SD slots fail?

SDX

It's up to them to come with evident proof for that the damage was caused by misuse or in general "not their fault".
When they send you proof of the crack and that that caused the problems with the SD card, I don't think there is much to do for you.
Wait and see what they come up with.

1%

This is weird because what does the crack have to do with the sd slot.

aaphotog

I dont see canon cracking the top lcd screen. Unless it was a foolish employee that just said it came in like that because he had an accident. But I don't often see complaints of cps service. more so people who have GOOD things to say. hope everything works out in your favor though

Shield

Ok, the situation has been remedied. Canon is offering a "one time" courtesy fix of the camera. The supervisor I spoke to has been fantastic.

Here's my theory: whomever opened the box at the repair center slashed the camera inadvertently with a boxcutter. This clearly looks like that kind of a slash to me. Obviously I was stunned when they sent me the picture today.

Canon is replacing the SD card board, the main PCB board, and the top piece that was damaged. They are also cleaning the sensor and "bringing it back to factory specs".

Next time I will though take extensive pictures before I ship it back. I would bet $1000 that someone with a boxcutter on the receiving end did this, but what can I prove?

You be the judge.

Also, obviously their slash had 0 to do with the prior fail(ing) SD card slot.

EDIT by SDX: image width is 900px max.

Audionut

There's no way in the world that was caused by a box cutter.

That's been dropped!

g3gg0

looks like a crack due to mechanical stress to me.
there must have been strong forces to get such a crack.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

SDX

The CPS guys are good guys and very friendly. Not only to us, but also to your equipment - this is not a cutter caused cut (speek that out loud 10 times :P )

I would guess this happened during shipping.