600D RAW issues for me only?

Started by wwjd, August 10, 2013, 08:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wwjd

LOVE the Lantern, LOVE that you guys got RAW working on cameras!!!!

But,
I can't seem to get ANY better quality from my RAW, over normal HD, and usually worse.
- Latest Magic Lantern, Newest RAW thing installed 2 days ago
- Canon T3i w/ SANDISK EXTREME (10) 45MB/s 32GB SDHC mem card
- using the RAWanizer software to convert to either MP4 or Prores
- Sony Vegas Pro12 for checking, grading and screen shots
- big computer, lotsa ram, killer GFX card
- (I normally shoot using Technicolor Cinestyle color profile)

I tried many different resolutions, but mostly fixated on the highest one shootable for the best resolution, and it shoots about 1.5 seconds and stops - but that is expected.  There is a SLIGHTLY perceptable increase in colors, but it is nothing I couldn't get by correction/grading on HD footage.  BUT,
- the resolution is crap, obvious jaggies everywhere
- any clearer definition is blowing up the horrible MOIRE this camera already suffers
- any panning or motion is a complete waste
- shoot times almost worthless for resolution less than ideal
- viewfinder stops during shooting, sooooo can't really know where you are pointing or pulling a focus
- no audio (not really a big deal)

The upside of 14bit color is diminished by:  reduced resolution (jaggies), movement slew, detail-moire amplified, shorter shots, more conversion for editing, viewfinder stoppage, no audio....  is that about right?

Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong?  Anything obvious from the above details?  Am I using the wrong software or doing it wrong?

Maybe I expected too much from RAW - didn't really think it would work well on T3i to begin with, to be honest.
The videos I've seen posted online were fine, but didn't seems to be better in any way over normal graded video.  This camera was always great with video close ups and DOF, but start doing bigger wider, highly detailed shots like a row of trees and detail turns to mushy soup - and RAW was no different, maybe worse with the lowered resolutions.

(yes, the garage was shot on a different day, but Moire amplified anyway)

1%

All those jaggies are from your post processing of the raw. Those are de-bayering artifacts.

wwjd

ok cool.  is that because I don't have proper software?  I don't have AE or PS or anything, just the RAWanizer thingy to convert, then I just bring it in to Vegas.  I probably NEED After Effects and such to make it better right?

I SHOULD EMPHASIZE THIS IS ALL MY CAMERA'S FAULT (and my lack of experience)  NOT MAGIC LANTERN NOR THE RAW UPDATE.  T3i/600D are very limited... well, and my software is also

MAGIC LANTERN AND RAW MODULES ARE EPIC AND WONDERFUL AWSOMTASTIC GREAT STUFF!!!  :D
I don't mean to imply they are not with my above post.

1%

try raw therapee or anything else that has the AMAZE algorythm.. you can do this all with a free and non-pirated workflow.

wwjd

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.