1280 x 720 raw without cropping the image

Started by Tony5diii, August 12, 2013, 09:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony5diii

While recording 1280 x 720 is recording the full scene not just the central portion possible to implement. In much the same way as when we switch between 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 within the canon software you don't have the Zoom effect. I guess it is technically possible as it would be the reverse process of the current crop mode i.e. using pixels from all over the sensor to reconstruct the 1290 x 720 rather than just using the adjacent pixels from central portion.

Thanks to all the magic lantern team, its really great work you are doing.

Jockerl

Andy600

Quote from: Tony5diii on August 12, 2013, 09:07:41 PM
While recording 1280 x 720 is recording the full scene not just the central portion possible to implement. In much the same way as when we switch between 1920 x 1080 and 1280 x 720 within the canon software you don't have the Zoom effect. I guess it is technically possible as it would be the reverse process of the current crop mode i.e. using pixels from all over the sensor to reconstruct the 1290 x 720 rather than just using the adjacent pixels from central portion.

Thanks to all the magic lantern team, its really great work you are doing.

You may not have noticed but one of the replies to your other thread suggesting this was by g3gg0. He knows what can and can't be done. This can't be done.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Tony5diii

JockerI ..I did search but there was no other thread that I could find regarding this function apart from the one you mentioned, which was started by me asking is it possible now. Since this forum is a more suitable for requesting such a feature I have asked here.

Thanks for the reply Andy600, I did see that g3gg0 was a developer and so have great respect for his opinion, but since there have been breakthroughs that nobody thought possible maybe this function might be possible from another developers point of view. After all it works that way within camera under Canons software so maybe there is a way for the ML team to replicate it within raw.

g3gg0

hypothetical: yes
theoretical: maybe
practical: nope
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Tony5diii

Thanks for the reply g3gg0, when you say it's not practical do you mean technically the mapping would be difficult or that it would divert resources from the processor that would result in less fps etc.

Is it an issue of more important features to concentrate on now and this may come in the future or that this will never happen.

The ability to shoot at 60 fps raw would be fantastic while still using the full view of their lens, I realise that people are enjoying the freedom of shooting in their own custom aspect ratios and the digital crop is great for many circumstances, but if there is any chance of  a toggle between 1920 x 1080 24 fps raw and 1280 x 720 30fps or 60fps raw without user defined aspect ratios that would be totally fantastic.

Audionut

Not enough resources to scale images. 

I even asked if it was possible to scale the LCD preview rather then the actual footage, answer was still no!