Turn your RAW footage into LOG

Started by aaphotog, July 04, 2013, 06:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

^^^^^ you should open your own thread.

araucaria

I made some camera profiles which should give you something like log and create no flicker.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg66775#msg66775

aaphotog

Quote from: araucaria on August 14, 2013, 05:12:10 AM
I made some camera profiles which should give you something like log and create no flicker.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg66775#msg66775
You should read the post above yours and do the same

Africashot

Quote from: aaphotog on August 08, 2013, 11:15:00 AM
^^^^^ you should open your own thread.

You should rename this thread to 'Turn your RAW footage into LOG with aaphotog's LUT', until then, thanks to everyone for sharing their LUTs too!
ML 5D2 & T3i

simulacro

Quote from: Africashot on August 14, 2013, 10:39:59 AM
You should rename this thread to 'Turn your RAW footage into LOG with aaphotog's LUT', until then, thanks to everyone for sharing their LUTs too!

+1

SteveScout

aaphotog, thanks a lot for making this ACR preset. This is the most promising workflow for me by now - especially since you can quickly "develop" it with the LUT from Hook. This LUT is basically great - it provides a cool look instantly pleasant. I´ll need to check how easy it is to get different results, though, since it´s very aggressive in the blues (they stand out) and - at least with my footage - in the skin tones. They are very orange, and all red tones appear very orangish as well which is definitely off from the real world scenario where the shots were taken.

But so far you ACR presets compress all the highlights I find in my shots, there´s no flickering so far and when exporting this to DnxHD the quality after color correction is SO close to the original that you could call it "visually lossless". And about half of the file size of a compressed DNG (Batchelor compresses the DNGs after conversion if wanted). For a bigger film I´d definitely want to go that route since I don´t want to keep thousand of folders with file sequences, MOV files in "log" are way better.
If Adobe would provide us with a way now to supress the ACR dialogue popping up and throwing your preset at it automatically - this would be "conversion heaven"!

cheers,
Steffen