Komputerbay 1200X Cards Coming Soon

Started by LEVISDAVIS, August 10, 2013, 06:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LEVISDAVIS

Just received an email from Komputerbay stating they are planning to release the 1200X. No statement about size or when available.

Komputerbay - Amazon Marketplace

1:53 AM (19 hours ago)

to me

Hello,

We are glad you are happy with our product.

We will be launching the 1200X version soon - we are unable to procure a health qualitity of semiconductors for mass production.

It will be available soon.

Thank You
Customer Service
CS

Cool!
Levi S. Davis

Toffifee

Danne

jaybirch

What is that in terms of speed? 160MBps?

NateVolk

I've got one coming to test. After 9/3 I can post results when I get back from vacation :)

dopepope

Tron, can you be more specific? The first page links to a forum post that komputer bay sold a fake sandisk SD card. That seems weird since komputer bay appears to sell komputer bay cards.

ted ramasola

Quote from: tron on August 26, 2013, 01:28:43 PM
FYI:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=komputerbay+counterfeit+cards&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IE10TR

Is this a reliable post that you are sharing here? As far as I know, Komputerbay sells komputerBay products on their Amazon account.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

oferlevy

Looks to me like a fraud. Doesn't say Komputerbay anywhere and the card doesn't look like Komputerbay card at all. Won't risk my money.

tron

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 02:57:51 AM
Is this a reliable post that you are sharing here? As far as I know, Komputerbay sells komputerBay products on their Amazon account.
It is not MY link! You read and YOU decide. It is said however, that  Komputerbay buy Lexar cards that fail their QC.
You can either believe it or not. I am not a seller to care!

ted ramasola

Quote from: tron on August 27, 2013, 02:24:54 PM
It is not MY link! You read and YOU decide. It is said however, that  Komputerbay buy Lexar cards that fail their QC.
You can either believe it or not. I am not a seller to care!

We'll I do care when mis information is being thrown around like that. I have talked with staff and tech people in KomputerBay and they don't sell lexar cards that fail QC.
They do use chips from the same manufacturers as where other card companies get theirs.

And to show a link to a dude that "apparently" bought a branded card in amazon from another brand is not an intelligent, logical and reliable post its just like quoting the onion as real news.

If its YOUR link then i'd be thinking and be concerned. If its not your experience then think twice before spreading it around.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

FEDEX tracking shows I'll be receiving the 1200X 256gig by tomorrow. Will test it for compatibility on the 5d mkII, 7D and hopefully a mkIII.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tron

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 04:31:24 PM
If its not your experience then think twice before spreading it around.
It seems as if you take it personally! Ar you affiliated with them somehow?
I'd love that specific vendor to be 100% OK because that would give me more options to chose from by the way!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 04:44:43 PM
FEDEX tracking shows I'll be receiving the 1200X 256gig by tomorrow. Will test it for compatibility on the 5d mkII, 7D and hopefully a mkIII.

Tomorrow will be a big day to you  ;D

tron

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 27, 2013, 04:56:48 PM
Tomorrow will be a big day to you  ;D
Can you try to almost fill the card during test usage please?

ted ramasola

Quote from: tron on August 27, 2013, 04:47:53 PM
It seems as if you take it personally! Ar you affiliated with them somehow?
I'd love that specific vendor to be 100% OK because that would give me more options to chose from by the way!

No Tron, nothing personal. Just keep things technical and not rumors on a technical thread.
I too had my doubts on this company at the start. I thought it was some fly by night company based in some country that usually makes knockoffs.

They are not, when I had issues with a komputerbay card which had incompatible firmware to the 5d2 and was about to use it for an important event and they overnighted a replacement.

Not many CF card companies can give you that kind of support if they were something shady.

I have been coordinating with them to make sure the cards are compatible with magic lantern specifically because its about economics.

A lot of budding film makers flock to magic lantern mainly due to economics. Its allows a lot to save money by allowing affordable cameras to produce expensive looking quality. So also when it comes to accessories.

Komputerbay understood the reason why their sales for CF cards picked up so they are also trying to make sure its compatible, together with some users like me we are stress testing these cards, and I have versions that are not even sold, like the 800X, to see that users on a budget can save money.

These chips are cheap. What makes them expensive is branding and packaging, KB keeps it low by having non of those.

Again, I'm not with komputerbay, I use my real name and you can check my online cred if you want. 

Just keep fud and rumors out and post credible technical things that benefit people.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: tron on August 27, 2013, 05:02:15 PM
Can you try to almost fill the card during test usage please?

I'll try, but I'm beginning to think its dangerous for the camera.

When I was stress testing the 32 and 64gigs it was easy to fill them up as the camera themselves were originally made to record around 12min approx of h264 vid then turn off due to 4gig limit and the 64 gig cards topped out at around 15min so the camera was good.

With the 128gig, you can run up to 29 minutes already since raw video already bypassed the 4gig limit by spanning, passing 70 gig mark the cameras already start to smell funny! I know those are the smell of chips already heating up.

We decided that for all practical testing purposes when using these high capacity cards I think around 30 gig would suffice and I'd consider that already practically useful since using raw would mostly be for commercials, music vids and nrratives due to lack of audio, I don't think its practical using this for long live events.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tron

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 05:12:22 PM
I'll try, but I'm beginning to think its dangerous for the camera.

When I was stress testing the 32 and 64gigs it was easy to fill them up as the camera themselves were originally made to record around 12min approx of h264 vid then turn off due to 4gig limit and the 64 gig cards topped out at around 15min so the camera was good.

With the 128gig, you can run up to 29 minutes already since raw video already bypassed the 4gig limit by spanning, passing 70 gig mark the cameras already start to smell funny!

We decided that for all practical testing purposes when using these high capacity cards I think around 30 gig would suffice and I'd consider that already practically usefull since using raw would mostly be for commercials, music vids and nrratives due to lack of audio, I don't think its practical using this for long live events.
OK I understand this, but can you at least leave it half full and make a test another time/date to fill it?
I am only asking to make sure that all memory chips speed is the same!

ted ramasola

Quote from: tron on August 27, 2013, 05:19:58 PM
OK I understand this, but can you at least leave it half full and make a test another time/date to fill it?
I am only asking to make sure that all memory chips speed is the same!

First lets hope that the firmware is compatible to most older cameras and not just the mkIII. Already these new cards are incompatible with a lot of branded card readers, including those which were ok for use with the 128 ones.

The tests would include benchmarks using ML in camera, then canon and ML firmware compatiblity, EOScard bootable compatibility, then continuous recording with diff resolution tests using different modes.
Then it will be compared to the other benchmarks like those from lexars.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tron

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 05:26:37 PM
First lets hope that the firmware is compatible to most older cameras and not just the mkIII. Already these new cards are incompatible with a lot of branded card readers, including those which were ok for use with the 128 ones.

The tests would include benchmarks using ML in camera, then canon and ML firmware compatiblity, EOScard bootable compatibility, then continuous recording with diff resolution tests using different modes.
Then it will be compared to the other benchmarks like those from lexars.
OK, you have a lot to do. I wish you luck with this card. Please let us know.

dopepope

bump. you probably haven't been able to do your full range of tests, but any first impressions?

Steven

This seems to be Ted's Test: http://ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

Strange, that the card does not perform any better (or worse) then (some of) the 1000x cards.
Which ML settings did you use? Have your tried 1920x1280?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Steven on September 02, 2013, 11:38:11 PM
Which ML settings did you use? Have your tried 1920x1280?

At 1920 x 1080 on the 5D mkIII the 256gig 1200x gives the following results;

24P = continuous recording (similar to 1000x)

30P = approx 330 frames (similar to 1000x)

Thanks for posting the link, most of the test results I placed there including some screen shots
so people can go to it and I won't be posting them again over different threads.

http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

araucaria

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 03, 2013, 02:24:18 AM
At 1920 x 1080 on the 5D mkIII the 256gig 1200x gives the following results;

24P = continuous recording (similar to 1000x)

30P = approx 330 frames (similar to 1000x)

Thanks for posting the link, most of the test results I placed there including some screen shots
so people can go to it and I won't be posting them again over different threads.

http://www.ramasolaproductions.com/6.html

What about crop mode? The same I guess...