Flatz ACR Preset - Magic Lantern RAW (Updated 8/18/13)

Started by D.L. Watson, August 09, 2013, 12:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.L. Watson

Playing around with RAW again. This time using the insanely sharp and quite affordable nifty fifty lens.

Workflow:

RAW > ACR > Apply Flatz Preset > Render to DNxHD > Edit & Color Correct/Grade in Premiere
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

senzazn12

D.L. Watson I want to say thank you for making this workflow. It does save a lot of space. I have a question though. Could you do a comparison between using the Flatz ACR preset with post sharpneing and contrast on versus Tenchnicolor picture style with post sharpening and contrast on regular H.264 footage?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: senzazn12 on August 14, 2013, 09:25:18 PM
D.L. Watson I want to say thank you for making this workflow. It does save a lot of space. I have a question though. Could you do a comparison between using the Flatz ACR preset with post sharpneing and contrast on versus Tenchnicolor picture style with post sharpening and contrast on regular H.264 footage?

Sure. I can do that. Right now I'm pretty sick but Ill try and do that in the next couple days.

Canon eos m

DLW, get well soon! All MLers pray for your speedy recovery.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

BrotherD

Kabuto1138

Darn, it looks like a great profile, but I get flicker with this profile. 

D.L. Watson

Quote from: BrotherD on August 16, 2013, 04:02:45 AM
Yea! Get well DL.

Derrick

Quote from: Canon eos m on August 16, 2013, 03:49:57 AM
DLW, get well soon! All MLers pray for your speedy recovery.

Thanks guys! I appreciate the kind wishes. I'm much better now.

Quote from: Kabuto1138 on August 16, 2013, 07:34:15 AM

I haven't experienced flicker yet - I will look into how to troubleshoot and solve this issue.

Joachim Buambeki

AFAIK that is a problem that is inherent to any profile that uses more than exposure and curves, see this thread and what one of the Adobe developer says:

Quote from: MadManChan2000Some (many) controls in the Basic panel in PV 2012 are now image-adaptive.  They use the image content itself to determine the range and behavior of the controls.  Highlights, Shadows, and Clarity are among the controls that respond most strongly to the image content.  These were not designed with temporal coherence in mind.  This is why you can expect to see temporal artifacts if you are to try to apply these controls to individual still frames.

For basic tone effects, I would suggest instead using the Parametric and/or Point curves to minimize temporal issues.
So depending on image content you get flicker - beeing severe or not (maybe even invisible).

D.L. Watson

The Flatz Preset is built using the Parametric and Point curves. The only slider which is used is contrast. I have yet to experience any flicker issues using the preset even just now in a basic test.

Another way to apply the Flatz Preset is to open your DNG's in Bridge as a sequence, apply the preset to a frame and synchronize to the other DNG's.

silvertonesx24

I confirm flicker here as well.

Great work btw, it still is a valuable idea that hopefully can get resolved.

D.L. Watson

Could someone supply me with a set of DNGs that experience the flickering for troubleshooting purposes?

My dropbox folder to add https://www.dropbox.com/sh/os0i5blap1vnqpl/1uSFKQPj9M

Thanks

silvertonesx24

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 17, 2013, 03:49:44 AM
Could someone supply me with a set of DNGs that experience the flickering for troubleshooting purposes?

My dropbox folder to add https://www.dropbox.com/sh/os0i5blap1vnqpl/1uSFKQPj9M

Thanks

I don't have dropbox but you can download one dng set that I get flicker with here

http://we.tl/xKcR8Opa12

It isn't as evident until I start to grade. But it is there.

silvertonesx24

What I am seeing is that the flickering comes from the contrast -100 slider. If I load Flatz and put the contrast back to 0, I do not get flickering.

D.L. Watson

D.L. Watson

oddname

When using the preset, is it made for using a correct exposure or with a ETTR-exposure?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: oddname on August 19, 2013, 06:39:50 AM
When using the preset, is it made for using a correct exposure or with a ETTR-exposure?

It was built with exposing to the right. It has not be tested with Duel ISO video however. Just FYI.

Africashot

Would it be at all possible to have a script like BATCHelor (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5645.0) create its cineform proxies using this preset? This way we'd be able to jump the timeconsuming AE render, there might be stuff you'd still tweak by using the DNGs but otherwise you could render usable cineform right out of the .RAW files saving tons of time and space...
ML 5D2 & T3i

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Africashot on August 19, 2013, 10:35:04 AM
Would it be at all possible to have a script like BATCHelor (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5645.0) create its cineform proxies using this preset? This way we'd be able to jump the timeconsuming AE render, there might be stuff you'd still tweak by using the DNGs but otherwise you could render usable cineform right out of the .RAW files saving tons of time and space...

I'm not sure if it would be possible. Ill definitely look into it and see what I can uncover because, yes, I agree - if one could skip the AE render, - things would be much smoother and easier.

Ill look into it.

Africashot

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 19, 2013, 10:43:16 AM
I'm not sure if it would be possible. Ill definitely look into it and see what I can uncover because, yes, I agree - if one could skip the AE render, - things would be much smoother and easier.

Ill look into it.

Thanks for looking into it!
ML 5D2 & T3i

D.L. Watson

Because I keep hearing people say how absurd it is to use a flattening preset on RAW, saying it's no different than using Cinestyle, I decided to do a quick, ungraded, comparison. Click images to see in full-res.

Here we have the H.264 with Cinestyle.

And here we have RAW, with the Flatz Preset apply in ACR, rendered to DNxHD.

So...um....yeah. Thanks for playing. :)

ezpRado

Yeah, it's obvious that your preset adds a red car to your image! ::)

No, seriously - You can clearly see the effect it has on the interior part of the image. Good job!

And remember that raw contains much more per channel color information than H.264. It's far more pushable in grading even if the two images are perceived the same.

Regards,
ezprado

D.L. Watson

FLATZ PRESET UPDATED!!!

It was brought to my attention that a noise reduction process was accidently added to my preset when I was rebuilding it. I've fixed this issue as well as made the preset compatible with Duel ISO and again, have rebuilt the preset from the ground up. All flicker issues have been solved.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 2.4 HERE: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

So far, we've have had over 200 downloads of the preset - 8 downloads in just the last 40 minutes. Unfortunately most of you have not created accounts so I have no way to communicate with you directly when updates occur. I hate spam and I would never spam your emails. So, if you sign up - Ill let you know personally when updates are made. If not, then subscribe to this forum!

Here is a comparison between what the Flatz Preset changes your DNG's to and what it looks like after you color grade it in Resolve or After Effects.

mannfilm

I'm confused as to when this would be useful. If your primary issues are no time and no drive space, why not do it ACR - pro rez - edit, and avoid the entire after effects grading step? If you have time and drive space, why not RAW in resolve? Regardless, thanks for posting this