Flatz ACR Preset - Magic Lantern RAW (Updated 8/18/13)

Started by D.L. Watson, August 09, 2013, 12:38:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.L. Watson

THIS TOPIC IS DISCONTINUED. MOVE ON IF YOU SEARCH FOR UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION.

RAW is great. So much detail. So much more information. But lets face it, it takes up a lot of space and Davinci Resolve doesn't quite perform well with it (yet).

I've developed (and recently updated) a Adobe Camera RAW preset that will capture the available dynamic and allow you to render it into a high-quality format (such as DNxHD, ProRes HQ, or Cineform).

COMPARISON

Now, this preset will not be for everyone. You will be converting available dynamic range to perceived dynamic range, however, if you render out to a 10-bit or higher format, you will be making a huge leap in quality than what you can get out of a H.264. And let me stress that the preset does a fairly good job getting all the information that could be used in RAW in whatever format you decide render to.

And this allows you to use your prefered color-correction software to get the look you want without breaking the bank on drives.

EASY TO USE

• Open and Import your footage into After Effects
  • Click on the small drop-down menu and select Load Settings
  • Locate and choose the Flatz Preset
  • Adjust White Balance and Done!

WORKFLOW TUTORIAL

DOWNLOAD FOR FREE: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

Just an FYI, I've updated the Flatz Profile!

Version 2.4 Skin tone bug solved! Significantly improved flat profile! Works with Duel ISO!
See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

BrotherD

Great workflow video. I'll try it on some footage this weekend. Keep up the good work DL!

Faith hope and love,
Derrick

Redrocks

Great tutorial, will try your preset. Thanks.

jayhas

Just downloaded your preset, will try this workflow. Thanks

Edit: Just found out I'm still on Camera Raw 6.7 (CS5.5) on my home PC, not compatible with your preset (Process 2012)-:) Will try it next week at work on CS6.

Abstrak

Thanks will give this a go on some 60D raw footage this weekend as well.

BrotherD

I should know Resolve a lot better by the time the short movie is ready to be screen. This is scene 1 take 1. This was filmed 960 x 540, 16 x 9, 23.97, with an Panasonic LA 7200 anamorphic adapter and a vintage Cosina MC 28mm 2.8 lens at 5.6 with a set of Tiffen ND filters. The adapter works best with the taking lens at 5.6. So when the light changes you have to change filters.

The aspect ratio says 2:37 in AE but it don't look anamorphic here on youtube. However the tree in view verifies the image is no longer squeezed. The final image render is 1280 x 540. I'll try rendering 1920 x 1080.

http://youtu.be/-71hYS7vMBo

DL thanks for everything! How do you bring the videos into this post area?

Thanks Magic Lantern team!

Derrick

D.L. Watson

Quote from: BrotherD on August 10, 2013, 06:21:32 AM
I should know Resolve a lot better by the time the short movie is ready to be screen. This is scene 1 take 1. This was filmed 960 x 540, 16 x 9, 23.97, with an Panasonic LA 7200 anamorphic adapter and a vintage Cosina MC 28mm 2.8 lens at 5.6 with a set of Tiffen ND filters. The adapter works best with the taking lens at 5.6. So when the light changes you have to change filters.

The aspect ratio says 2:37 in AE but it don't look anamorphic here on youtube. However the tree in view verifies the image is no longer squeezed. The final image render is 1280 x 540. I'll try rendering 1920 x 1080.

Derrick

Looks good! Glad to see some footage of people using the preset.

You can add the videos to your post by using the [youtube]your_youtube_url[/youtube] or [vimeo][/vimeo] code.

Can't wait to see more!

D.L. Watson

Just an FYI, I've updated the Flatz Profile!

Version 2.1 gives you a little more distinction between you highlights and you whites, solving an issue I recently discovered while grading which cause specular highlights to disappear.

I updated this with the blacks and shadow information.

Download it: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

BrotherD

DL, thanks again! I just updated 2.1 to AE. The second preset, 2.0 was very good! Resolve took to it perfectly. I currently do not have Prores HD. The DN x HD codecs are 8 and 10 bit? Cineform has one codec that I was not sure about so I rendered 16 bit Tiffs.

Whew! I finally got a workflow! Would you use this workflow for H.264 footage? Thank!

Derrick

Canon eos m

Quote from: BrotherD on August 10, 2013, 06:21:32 AM

http://youtu.be/-71hYS7vMBo

Derrick

Nice video like the grading. I have done a video too using the flatz 1 preset. The file size is too big though. Don't know how to upload it on youtube/ viemo. Will load it to dropbox and post. The video is just a random shot I took at a mall  a few weeks ago.

The flatz 1 present is so awesome, never used anything like it. My whole view of the potential of RAW has changed for the better. 
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

D.L. Watson

Quote from: BrotherD on August 11, 2013, 06:52:20 AM
DL, thanks again! I just updated 2.1 to AE. The second preset, 2.0 was very good! Resolve took to it perfectly. I currently do not have Prores HD. The DN x HD codecs are 8 and 10 bit? Cineform has one codec that I was not sure about so I rendered 16 bit Tiffs.

Whew! I finally got a workflow! Would you use this workflow for H.264 footage? Thank!

Derrick

Tiff sequences might be a little large. Definitely use DNxHD 10bit. DNxHD does not come with Adobe After Effects, it's a free Avid Codec.

Download codecs for Mac here: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Mac_AvidCodecsLE_2.1.zip
Download codecs for PC here: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/PC_AvidCodecsLE_2.1.zip

To use it, in AE render settings, choose Quicktime and click on Format Options, choose DNxHD, click on Codec Settings and choose 1080p 444 10Bit.

DNxHD is a fantastic codec - but it only allows up to 1080p recording. Nothing higher in resolution unfortunately.

Cineform is just as good with more options. Just make sure you use the 4.2.2. Full HD option (and if you have the premium version, use the 4.4.4. option).

Now remember, when you are finished grading, you can render a version for the web using the H.624 to make uploading quicker, but you should always keep your final DNxHD, Cineform, or ProRes renders for archivals.

D.L. Watson

I compare RAW footage graded in Adobe Camera RAW with RAW footage with the Flatz Preset installed, reduced to DNxHD, and graded in Davinci Resolve. Can you tell which is which? I'll give you a hint, one of them has post-sharpening added.

Download preset: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

BrotherD

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 11, 2013, 07:03:20 PM
Tiff sequences might be a little large. Definitely use DNxHD 10bit. DNxHD does not come with Adobe After Effects, it's a free Avid Codec.

Download codecs for Mac here: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/Mac_AvidCodecsLE_2.1.zip
Download codecs for PC here: http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/PC_AvidCodecsLE_2.1.zip

To use it, in AE render settings, choose Quicktime and click on Format Options, choose DNxHD, click on Codec Settings and choose 1080p 444 10Bit.

DNxHD is a fantastic codec - but it only allows up to 1080p recording. Nothing higher in resolution unfortunately.

Cineform is just as good with more options. Just make sure you use the 4.2.2. Full HD option (and if you have the premium version, use the 4.4.4. option).

Now remember, when you are finished grading, you can render a version for the web using the H.624 to make uploading quicker, but you should always keep your final DNxHD, Cineform, or ProRes renders for archivals.

Yep. Tiffs are big. The "20 Bucks" Raw files were converted into Tiffs, 180gb and DNG's, 56gb. To save space I deleted the Tiffs and saved the original Raw files and the DNG files, 112gb total. Cool! I got the Avid codecs installed so rendering DN x HD is the way to go. DL this is so cool. Thanks!

Derrick

aaphotog

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 11, 2013, 08:45:55 PM
I compare RAW footage graded in Adobe Camera RAW with RAW footage with the Flatz Preset installed, reduced to DNxHD, and graded in Davinci Resolve. Can you tell which is which? I'll give you a hint, one of them has post-sharpening added.

Download preset: www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

I guessed which was which correctly. The reason being, the flatz profile looked... flatter.
I believe a little contrast added would have not allowed me to notice the difference.

BrotherD

DL did you not add sharpness in Resolve and/or do you simply prefer the flatter look?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: aaphotog on August 12, 2013, 01:44:31 AM
I guessed which was which correctly. The reason being, the flatz profile looked... flatter.
I believe a little contrast added would have not allowed me to notice the difference.

Exactly. I had forgotten that I had turned off my contrast and sharpness node in resolve until nearly finished with the video. I still believe it illustrates that you still have all the same amount of dynamic freedom to grade the image and save space. But to each his/her own.

Quote from: BrotherD on August 12, 2013, 05:28:33 PM
DL did you not add sharpness in Resolve and/or do you simply prefer the flatter look?

Yeah, I forgot turn back on my contrast and sharpness node. And personally, I do like a contrasty image, but without sacrificing highlights and shadow detail.

D.L. Watson

Updated the Preset to V2.2.

* Fixed a bug where image would invert if exposed to the right (which you should do)

Download it here: http://www.dlwatson.net/flatz-preset.html

Also, please, if you download the preset, let me know how its working for you. I'm open to your thoughts, criticisms, and suggestions. Thanks!

BrotherD

DL I have to thank you again for the workflow, the presets and the Avid codec pack. I deleted Quicktime 7.1, rebooted then installed QT 6.9 then installed Avid codec pack 2.8 then rebooted. Now the Avid codecs are installed.

Now I can start in AE (ACR), apply Flatz preset 2.2, Dynamic Link with Premiere, then render DN x HD 444 1080p 10bit files for CC and render in Resolve.

Two month of learning on this forum has been priceless!

Derrick

SteveScout

D.L.Watson  - thanks a lot for making this preset! I´m just wonderin how you retain the highlights with the highligts slider in ACR in the middle - so there´s still room to pack more dynamic range into the preset, right?

With my initial tests I was not able to re-grade (in After Effects) the look that I would do straight away out of ACR "as the eye saw it". Your preset comes close to a LOG-look (like ProRes 10bit log) but of course a normal cineon-converter effect in AFX brings out some funky highlights since it´s not really log - could you provide some presets/nodes (After Effects, maybe Premiere with its fast-filters, Resolve) on what your way would be to grade the footage "normally"? Starting from there one can still make us of the dynamic range in the file to make on changes.

Thanks a lot!!

Mickeyboo

Your Flatz is interesting but how does it differ or perhaps what are the advantages of using it instead of Technicolor Cinestyle?
Have you reinvented the wheel or am I missing something?

I've gotten pleasing results using the free Cinestyle which loads as a picture style into the Canon cameras and then using Davinci Resolve.  Have you done any comparisons?  I will give Flatz try and I appreciate your efforts at improving raw workflow results.

ashtrai

The Flatz preset is used for Raw Video. Picture Styles get bypassed when recording Raw.

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Mickeyboo on August 13, 2013, 11:59:50 PM
Your Flatz is interesting but how does it differ or perhaps what are the advantages of using it instead of Technicolor Cinestyle?
Have you reinvented the wheel or am I missing something?

I've gotten pleasing results using the free Cinestyle which loads as a picture style into the Canon cameras and then using Davinci Resolve.  Have you done any comparisons?  I will give Flatz try and I appreciate your efforts at improving raw workflow results.

Unless I'm mistaken, Picture Styles in camera do nothing to the RAW video because it's RAW and White Balance, Contrast and other related metadata is not baked.

My preset is a Adobe Camera RAW preset which captures the full range of dynamic range into whatever format you choose to render into.

Cinestyle is restricted by the H.264 codec, the 8bit space, and the fact that you only get about 9 stops of dynamic range.

Quote from: SteveScout on August 13, 2013, 10:35:49 PM
D.L.Watson  - thanks a lot for making this preset! I´m just wonderin how you retain the highlights with the highligts slider in ACR in the middle - so there´s still room to pack more dynamic range into the preset, right?

With my initial tests I was not able to re-grade (in After Effects) the look that I would do straight away out of ACR "as the eye saw it". Your preset comes close to a LOG-look (like ProRes 10bit log) but of course a normal cineon-converter effect in AFX brings out some funky highlights since it´s not really log - could you provide some presets/nodes (After Effects, maybe Premiere with its fast-filters, Resolve) on what your way would be to grade the footage "normally"? Starting from there one can still make us of the dynamic range in the file to make on changes.

Thanks a lot!!

Hey there SteveScout. Highlights and shadow details are retained by using a tone curve in Adobe Camera RAW. The sliders are left default at zero for individual customization - but in my own use, I have not needed to touch them.

I wouldn't recommend a Cineon Converter - but that's also because I've never used it before. If I were to color in After Effects, I would use Colorista II or just simply a Levels Adjustment and boost saturation.

RAW at the default settings. Exposed to the right.

After applying the preset in Adobe Camera RAW

Adding some contrast and saturation.

tifose

how do i download this preset having a hard time understanding your web page :(

aaphotog

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 14, 2013, 01:30:18 AM

RAW at the default settings. Exposed to the right.

so exposing to the right, is exposing for the highlights to be correctly exposed?
I always thought that exposing to the right, meant for everything on the histogram to be further right which would in turn make the shadows brighter, as opposed to the highlight darker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

D.L. Watson

Quote from: aaphotog on August 14, 2013, 02:09:58 AM
so exposing to the right, is exposing for the highlights to be correctly exposed?
I always thought that exposing to the right, meant for everything on the histogram to be further right which would in turn make the shadows brighter, as opposed to the highlight darker. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Exposing to the right is to push the highlights to as far as they can be recovered, thereby introducing more shadow detail without introducing more noise by bumping up ISO. Which because the background is at a higher exposure then the foreground, the histogram is exposed at -1.7 (at ISO 200) - the most I could expose to without clipping highlights on the car and in the far building.

If you clip your highlights, there is no recovering them. According to the ETTR function in Magic Lantern, they recommend -.05 or -1.0 when exposing to the right.