5D2 Will only boot with ML loaded CF card inserted

Started by nickBC, August 08, 2013, 06:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickBC

So have been running ML for several months on 5d3 no problems but recently my 5d2 has stopped booting unless I have a ML loaded CF card inserted. It will not boot on an empty slot or clean card.

I have tried disabling the bootflag and then using the internal format with "remove magic lantern" selected. Still nothing after powering off and back on. Removing battery does nothing as well.

I have to load the card with ML again and prepare with Eoscard again in order for it to boot.

In addition:
Cards used are Komputerbay 128gb 1000x & 32gb Lexar 800x, ML 2.3.

Any suggestions?

nickBC

deletedAcc.0021

Did you format the card in your computer then try it?

nickBC

Yes, both low level quick formats and high level formats.

John Kesl

have you tried a card with canon firmware? maybe you may need to reinstall canon firmware?

Francis

Quote from: John Kesl on August 30, 2013, 04:39:17 AM
have you tried a card with canon firmware? maybe you may need to reinstall canon firmware?

'Reinstalling' Canon firmware never helps, as it was never replaced to begin with. I've never run into this issue with any camera that I've put ML on. Is there any responsiveness from the camera from any button press?

nickBC

There's no response from anything unless a ML loaded card is present in the slot. Not even and activity light whenever you open and close the cf door.

renkin

Bumping this as I have the same exact problem.
No boot, no activity even when there is no card inside. I'm desperate for a fix, I saved up for a long time for this body

Did anyone found a solution ?

Walter Schulz

The thread starters problem is/was:
- Use a blank card or none: Cam will not start
- Use a bootable ML card: Cam will start

You have exactly the same problem?

renkin

My bad, sorry for messing up the thread.
Turns out the cause was unrelated, an empty battery supposedly full made it looks just like the symptoms described here.
If a mod passes by, feel free to delete my posts.