Focus Peak Issue

Started by mikeC, August 13, 2012, 06:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeC

Hello:

I'm new to ML and looking to the community for some guidance. (Camera: T3i/600D; External Monitor: SmallHD DP4).

When using Focus Peak, instead of getting the usual plane of blinking dots indicating focus, I'm getting a horizontal band of various length red dashes that hover near the top of the screen and that don't respond to focus changes. (Other Overlay features, such as zebras, false colors, and histogram seem to work fine).

Any thoughts or suggestions about the dashes and how to get focus peak working for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Mike
Chicago

Francis

Is this only the case when using your external monitor, or does the problem appear on your camera's LCD as well? Also are you in 1080p or 720p? I recall focus peaking not working well in 720.

mikeC

Thanks for your reply, Francis. You are right; the problem occurs only when using the DP4 monitor (firmware V1.2). So it appears that it is the monitor that is the problem. I should add that I was only using the monitor and not any of the DP4 software features, which remained switched off.

I will try some different settings and see if I can get the DP4 to play nice with ML. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Mike

archp2008

I am unable to get Focus Peak to work on my camera LCD.  Canon T2i, ML 2.3, Kit Lens.  Any suggestions from the community would be appreciated. I also am currently unable to make zebras or cropmarks or audio bar appear although the sound bar used to work.  The Focus Trap option is working fine............................................................  Everything is working again now.  I'm not sure what I did. I was experimenting with various Canon menu settings incl. live view options.  I replaced the card and batteries which the battery strength was showing low at the time. Before everything started working again, the display was still showing the battery strength as low even though I had just changed them.  After changing certain Canon menu options the battery strength options went back to show full again and all ML options started to work. Go figure?  ................................................... BTW, will the focus peak option work with an FD lens attached with an adapter?

kukysimon

Hi,... i was wondering if you can add your problem to this link, it seems there are dozens and dozens of people who started threads and topics about issues with external monitors , but these are all over the place and consequently no one thinks its an issue since they show up only one at a time in this very big haystack of threads. i started a thread at the developpers page addressing it to alex, in the hopes he can make this more priority, there is a vote and a follow option, if you wouldn't mind adding yours there as well, may be alex can then see how many people really do work with external monitors and have a hard time not seeing crop marks the right way and other issues:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1582/crop-bars-for-external-smallhd-oled-7-7

i would really appreciate your effort, may be we can all get together on those many issues with external monitors..

BR
Kuky