7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gideonplus

kerozis

I was very pleased with the results, although there are some bugs that need to be fixed. Bugs reported in my blog:
http://minhateoriadacor.wordpress.com/2014/02/01/raw-video-on-canon-7d-magic-lantern-alpha-2-beta/

ted ramasola

Jan 31 Tragic Lantern test.

Constants: Buffer-2 / Stills Raw-none, Jpg-L /MLV Raw+SND

1. Capacity test No HDMI /GD-on = Fills up 64 gig CF/continuous ok.  BUT contains pink/corrupt frames/ some totally black frames.
2. When HDMI monitor is connected = Pink/corrupted frames appear at random on each clip.
3. Movie Restart "Bug". when this is ON in MLV mode, upon stopping of raw recording H264 record starts. (suggest a fix like in 5D2 that it wont have this behavior)
4. With stills set to RAW, continuous record not possible(only 4gig at most times or 28gig depending on buffer method)
5.FPS at 1fps and 0.5 fps NOW WORKS no more repeating frozen frame.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jayzed

Ok, I've done a 2k (2048x1152) test. Tragic Lantern 7th Jan, photo RAW off, small low quality JPEG (the icon with the blocky curve). 25FPS crop mode - Canon 100 Macro IS L 2.8 lens, buffer 2. MLV module with the audio switched off.

Non continuous recording (although 8-9 seconds at 25 FPS is fine for most things I do).

I'm gobsmacked. On a 7D, a 4-5 year old camera. After Effects standard VFX stabiliser (1.6% scale for the slight movement but I also scaled to 1080p for Vimeo). Recorded this on a monopod outside my studio window in Brighton. Used Adobe camera raw, tweaked the parameters quite a bit (boosted shadows etc) but as the light doesn't change no problem with flicker. Some very gentle CC using curves and a whisker of sharpen.

ted ramasola

FEB 1 TL test.

1. Capacity test fills up 64 gig CF card continuous ok. no errors/no corrupt frame

2. HDMI monitor connected, buff-2, preview- Auto & Hacked no preview, GD-off:
   = clips all have a pink/corrupt frame, almost always the 1st frame of the clip.

3. FPS override at & 1 fps and lower = fixed, no more repeating frozen frame.

4. crop mode, buff-2, preview-hacked no prev = continuous ok and no more corrupt frame.

5. movie restart bug still there. when ON it triggers h264 recording when stopping MLV raw recording.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on February 02, 2014, 06:39:14 PM

What happens if you disable dialog timers when using HDMI?

1. with hdmi monitor and dialog timers disabled I got 2 clips out of 4 that had a corrupt/pink frame but the behavior is different. previously the corrupt frame happens 99% at the start of clip at the 1st frame, now it is in the mid part of the clip.

2. With hdmi monitor I tried forced VGA ON, GD-off, and ALL CLIPS CLEAN, no corruption. (but view is lower res of course)

3. Can you do some tweaks in the LV layout? 1728x972 is the highest 16:9 res on the 7d, and with this aspect ratio the best screen layout that will show the entire frame accurately is
    4:3 auto, HOWEVER when recording starts, the record info would clash with the audio meters etc.
    The layout that does not have clashing displays is 16:10 hdmi t/b but the framing crops the top and bottom of whats actually recorded.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

I think MLV will have to have indicators added to the top bar and/or the little camera from raw_rec. Otherwise there is too much shit on the screen and too many cameras.

So with HDMI and no dialog timers the frames are only bad in the begining?

I guess its not handling 1920x1080 YUV + recording raw very well. This part is hard to actually fix due to the processing power of the camera. What about GD off and normal sized HDMI, still corruption?

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on February 02, 2014, 07:43:19 PM
So with HDMI and no dialog timers the frames are only bad in the begining?

What about GD off and normal sized HDMI, still corruption?

all the HDMI test i did, its always at GD off.

a: test with dialog timers disabled preview auto- corruption mid part of clips

b: test with dialog tmers on using hacked preview- corrupt frame at the start/1st frame of clip 99% of the time. 1 percent it appears in the mid part or not at all.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

Ok, will have to merge g3gg0's latest changes and see if it helps or hurts.

ted ramasola

@1%,

Ok thanks. also saw in changelog g3gg0 included a fix for movie restart. Will test it when you integrate it for 7D.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Feb 2 TL Test.

#1 Capacity test- vga out/hdmi monitor/GD-off = Fills up 64gig CF, continuous ok, CLEAN no problem with footage.

ISSUE : with CF card full View in File manager hangs, freezes in index 10/10 (maybe due to lack of space to generate IDX file?

#2 Movie Restart - FIXED Tested in MLV mode and in H264. Functions as advertised, less than 1 second gap between clips.

#3 Pre Allocate delay, Record start/stop time.
        Feb 2 TL- 4 seconds delay.
        Jan 7 TL-  22 centisecond delay (almost instant)
#4 HDMI recording at HD resolution, GD-OFF , tested with 5 clip recording.
   clip 1 length 8 sec = Clean
   clip 2 length 14 sec = 1st frame and at 4" corrupted.
   clip 3 length 19 sec = Clean
   clip 4 length 12 sec = Clean
   clip 5 length 12 sec = 1st frame corrupted.

NOTE with Forced HDMI-VGA = footage is all clean no problems in footage.

The preallocate delay might be too long for some situations and uses, maybe it should have an option to use this or not.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

While I appreciate you all doing daily testing on TL builds, I'd like to remind you that ML development on 7D is completely frozen.

What you are doing may be beneficial right now, but please understand that encouraging this community split will hurt the long-term ML development and possibly its very existence. Your priority should be backporting the 7D TL (also for all other cameras) back to the mainline: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9848.0

Thanks.

Topillo

I share my first test "RAW vs H264" in Canon 7D + 35mm f2 IS USM + Compact Flash LEXAR 32GB 1000x. There are corrupt and pink frames, but the quality is good.

Deem

Hello,

I have a little problem with external monitor. Maybe already have on someone answered this question in the past, but I could not find an answer. So I'm sorry if someone has already asked.

When I connect external LCD on my 7D, internal LCD is off. What can I do?

feureau

Speaking of RAWs, I found this today: http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/understanding_canon_cinema_raw.shtml

Talks about the C500 RAW recording. Quite a good read. Has a comparison with several other RAW formats. (no MLRAW unfortunately)

arrinkiiii

Thanks, good reading =))

arrinkiiii

@1% 

I saw a commit "GDB on by default" but didn't understand, what it is?

1%

GDB support compiled in so people can use ADTG modules, etc. 7D its on the other proc so might be an issue. I haven't figured out how to get the registers over there or how dual_iso and all of that was found.

vyskocil

Hello,

I somewhat ported from raw_rec to mlv_rec the clean display showing a camera icon in green/yellow/red when recording :

https://bitbucket.org/vyskocil/clean-mlvrec-display/commits/20d535cb39056f03cddc56d3f57dee7239926f63

There is now a menu setting that let one choose between no status display at all, camera icon and time of recording and the debug display we are used to until now.

How this could be merged in TL if it is of some interest ? [EDIT: I just made a Pull Request toward TL]
I'm also interested to do some back porting to the official MagicLantern from the TL branch.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: vyskocil on February 06, 2014, 09:31:00 AM

https://bitbucket.org/vyskocil/clean-mlvrec-display/commits/20d535cb39056f03cddc56d3f57dee7239926f63
There is now a menu setting that let one choose between no status display at all, camera icon and time of recording and the debug display we are used to until now.

I'm also interested to do some back porting to the official MagicLantern from the TL branch.

2 good news, thanks =)) For sure 1% will tell u what to do for porting from TL 2 ML, thanks again.

g3gg0

Quote from: vyskocil on February 06, 2014, 09:31:00 AM
How this could be merged in TL if it is of some interest ? [EDIT: I just made a Pull Request toward TL]

thanks for your effort. but please do that for Magic Lantern, not Tragic Lantern.
TL is no longer being supported and merged back into ML.

create a fork of ML using bitbucket, add your changes there and create a pull request.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

1%

Porting back is good... 7D in main/stable should have display filters and after all these years sound. Maybe one of the better coders reviewing there can figure out how to better fps override from slave and headphone monitor as well.

arrinkiiii

Yes indeed. Good to hear that we have more one good guy on board =))

vyskocil

Quote from: g3gg0 on February 06, 2014, 05:11:47 PM
thanks for your effort. but please do that for Magic Lantern, not Tragic Lantern.
TL is no longer being supported and merged back into ML.

create a fork of ML using bitbucket, add your changes there and create a pull request.

I just back ported this to ML, a pull request await there !

The first thing I noticed when trying the latest ML instead of TL in my 7D is the lack of audio recording with mlv_rec, I think it'll be the next thing I'll look at.