7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pstutter

Hi guys, I just installed magic lantern raw for the first time and its working great so far, no glitches or bugs. I have a question about batteries. I'm going to order some backups and I thought I remember reading here somewhere that third party batteries don't always work with ML. Does anyone use third party batteries and if so what brands?

Thanks!

1%

look for decoded batteries. they show a percent and can be registered. I have 2 and they are OK, about 80% of a real canon battery but much cheaper

pstutter

Cool thanks. Any particular brand or is it just going to be some Chinese knock off type thing? Also, I have a question about crop mode. When I am previewing and filming in crop mode the preview makes it look very small, but when I review the footage, the actual footage is larger than what the preview was showing. Does it not show 1:1 what you are filming?

1%

I got no name. The preview doesn't show the real area unless you use the display filter preview.

pstutter

Quote from: 1% on January 24, 2014, 10:59:15 PM
I got no name. The preview doesn't show the real area unless you use the display filter preview.

What is the display filter preview? I don't see it in the menu anywhere. And speaking of liveview, I have it set to be ML grayscale, but when I hit record, it goes back to the full color liveview, which I would assume takes more processing power. Why does it do that?

Actually is there a better thread to post these random usage questions?

Thanks again btw

ted ramasola

you're fine in this thread since its still related to the 7D raw module.

to get proper framing in crop mode set the Preview in RAW Video(MLV)>Preview>Auto (or use ML Grayscale ) Auto is ok so ML uses whats appropriate.

Note:
in crop mode, ML Grayscale or Auto gives proper framing, meaning what you see is the framing of recorded video BUT the preview on your lcd is pixelized and refresh rate is a bit slower than realtime. Actual recording is normal of course.

TIPS:
Go to PREFS tab >LiveView zoom tweaks > zoom x10 to disable
10X on the 7D sometimes causes the camera to freeze and it has no effect on crop mode recording which is 3X only using the 5X magnify.

Make sure you use FPS override to 23.976 Optimize for > Exact FPS  in crop mode as canon defaults to 30FPS in crop mode even if you set canon menu to 24FPS.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

The grayscale while recording or the color while recording (raw rec) takes up a bit of CPU. It requires GD to stay on.

edwmotion

Quote from: pstutter on January 24, 2014, 10:24:11 PM
Cool thanks. Any particular brand or is it just going to be some Chinese knock off type thing? Also, I have a question about crop mode. When I am previewing and filming in crop mode the preview makes it look very small, but when I review the footage, the actual footage is larger than what the preview was showing. Does it not show 1:1 what you are filming?

These are really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370646647864?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Fringuello

Hi, with what I extract the files produced by mlv with audio?
Italy - canon 7D

Fringuello

Italy - canon 7D

jman

Quote from: Fringuello on January 25, 2014, 01:30:17 PM
Thanks for the link.
But I need a puller, not a reader.
You open the mlv file in mlvsharp and then right click the file to extract audio and video to a dng

Fringuello

thank you, from the one to be shown with osx 10.9.1 does not work
this seems to work more
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9731.0
Italy - canon 7D

hdclip

Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

hdclip

Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

tonybeccar

CaronteGF

pstutter

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how much full hd (1920x1080) I can record in a shot using ML. Right now I'm getting about 500 frames before it starts skipping. This seems a little low according to this post:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg79604#msg79604

However, that post is pretty old, but I can't find a more recent post of benchmarks anywhere. I'm not sure if I'm using optimized settings for maximum shot length either. I'm getting the best results using ML grayscale while recording. I tried to zoom into 10x view mode to kill the display, but when I press zoom, it doesn't do anything. (I re-enabled 10x zoom mode, so not sure why it isn't zooming) So besides these is there any other settings that would optimize the length? Like somehow totally killing the display when filming?

I should mention I'm using a transcend 1000x.

ted ramasola

using MLV_rec or Raw_rec?

disable 10x as it has issues.

use only 5x for 3x.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mucher

I feel really hesitated to ask, but any news on porting to firmware 2.0.5?

pstutter

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 29, 2014, 04:29:30 AM
using MLV_rec or Raw_rec?

disable 10x as it has issues.

use only 5x for 3x.

I'm using MLV-rec. I know 10x is buggy and stuff, but it seemed reading through the old posts, that framing up and then zooming in to 10x and thus killing liveview, was a good way to increase how long you could record for.

ted ramasola

just disable 10x. Use TL dated jan 7th.
Buffer 1 or 2 is ok.
Don't use external hdmi as it produces occasional pink frames.
in liveview scrn layout use 4:3 auto.

in crop mode 5x magnify(3x crop) use auto preview.
1920x1080 gave me only a minute and 14 seconds(1'14")

1728 x 972 16:9 is continuos ok for both 1x and 3x mode. with MLV sound.

Using any nightly build from Jan 8 to 25 or even 27 will stop your recording at 10min or 40gig.

Jan 7 or 6 is continuous until your card is full.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Just tested latest. Jan 28 TL skips/stops recording at 10min 40gig also.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas