7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evilash

Oh, as a small follow-up to my experience with that Transcend 32gb 1000x - after processing the images, I found that a lot of early shots had a number of pink frames that made the shots pretty unusable. After I had been shooting continuously with the card for a while longer, it did seem to warm up and later shots had almost no corrupted frames. So I might try that "Warm Up" card option or whatever it's called. Could be what was going on here. (Also, I should note that I haven't tried any of the tricks some people have found for increased frames, like turning Global Draw off or shooting 5x magnified. I literally got the card in the mail from B&H the day of my cousin's wedding and decided to be crazy and flash it right away with the nightly build of ML. Still performed pretty well, everything stock out of the box.)

1%

Quoteust wanted to check if it wasn't possible to go beyond 1728x972 in normal mode.

Yes it is, just change aspect ratio. The full LV is 1728x1152.

Midphase

According to the GoogleDocs spreadsheet about camera capabilities, the 7D is listed as supporting ExFAT, however when I format the card as ExFAT in my computer and then insert it in the 7D I get an error that the card is not recognizable.

Can anyone confirm or deny that the 7D is capable of ExFAT formatted cards, and if yes how to properly prepare them?

Thank you!

nick.p

That spreadsheet is outdated. I'm pretty sure the 7D doesn't support exfat.

a1ex

What's stopping you from updating it?

nick.p

It's write protected isn't it?

a1ex

Yeah, looks like somebody protected it, probably due to vandalism. But the permissions say "Anyone who has the link can comment", and I'm sure somebody with write access will apply the changes you suggest.

nick.p

I think that guy is afk and has been for quite some time. Could the spreadsheet be duplicated and the link replaced by the mods?

a1ex

Last update was yesterday. I wouldn't call this "afk for quite some time".

nick.p

Well the 7d component of the spreadsheet hasn't been updated in as long as I can remember which is just about when raw started working on the 7d.

a1ex

neilpercy

Hi Thoma. I'm using a Transcend 32Gb 1000x card and I am getting continuous recording (till card fills up) at 25P (and 24P) 1728x972, 16:9.

I'm in the the UK so that's perfect for me. Card seems to max out at 73.6mb/s and 25p is 70mb/s. (I do use card warm up, otherwise first file stops). Global draw off while recording, RAW format, haven't tried much MLV yet. Just noticed the option for Double or Single buffer, has always been on Double - don't know if single will improve things?? TL build 8Dec13

It won't shoot continuous at 3:2 aspect, 1728x1152, predicts around 425+ frames at 25P.

Best aspect you will get at 29.97 is 2.20:1 on this/my card.

I haven't had much chance to process these RAW files, just tetsing card so far, so can't comment on pink frames at the moment.
see attached pictures -

Brawl

for anti aliasing/moiré which one is better the VAF filter or shooting in crop mode? thanks

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Brawl on December 31, 2013, 01:51:00 AM
for anti aliasing/moiré which one is better the VAF filter or shooting in crop mode? thanks

Uhmmm.. dependes what you want to do, each one got there limitation. With VAF you can shoot normal mode but the image get a little bit soft but i think nothing to much or that "normal" people will complain. With crop mode i think is most free of aliasing.

So...
Normal mode is better because of the form factor, in crop mode it's like filming with a zoom lens... but talking about  aliasing/moiré with the most clean image i will go fro crop mode with out the VAF. 

Maybe someone out there got different opinion...  8)

arrinkiiii

Looks like the Unofficial TL are back to the line.

http://tl.bot-fly.com/ 

You already can try the latest MLV RAW now with sound record. Don't know if it's working but let's see and report the bugs.  Also the rest of the modules.

(with the latest events im a little bit lost, hope doing the correct thing for helping ML getting further and hope that the 7D getts to the main bru(a)nch)

edwmotion

Quote from: Brawl on December 31, 2013, 01:51:00 AM

Forget that expensive and horrendous VAF filter and buy an ultra wide angle lens instead (tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ). Crop mode is the way to go, but if you want to use the whole sensor I recommend fast lenses, like the antialiasing and beautiful pentax 50mm f1.2.

ted ramasola

testing the dec 30 TL with MLV_SND.mo, the dngs were extracted but there is NO WAV file.

in the ML menu MLV Sound is ON. and I can see the sound levels working.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dpmaia

Quote from: edwmotion on December 31, 2013, 07:55:46 AM
Forget that expensive and horrendous VAF filter and buy an ultra wide angle lens instead (tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ). Crop mode is the way to go, but if you want to use the whole sensor I recommend fast lenses, like the antialiasing and beautiful pentax 50mm f1.2.

I'm trying to use ML Raw for some professional work. Shooting raw, VAF filter (expensive, far from horrendous), global draw off. Hdmi monitoring is not a problem, use zebras and waveforms and everything else from the monitor. A bit of a pain on post production but fine.
My question is, how to do that with crop mode? Is it possible to frame and monitor video?

gideonplus

I am using TaragicLantern 7d version
tragiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec29.7D203 and mlv_rec /mlv_snd
from Magic Lantern (RAW) Video format v2.0 (mlv_rec.mo) thread page 1
and it works very well in normal mode but in crop mode the camera enters into some
uncontroled state and it has to be reset only by removing the battery

arrinkiiii

Quote from: dpmaia on December 31, 2013, 05:09:54 PM
I'm trying to use ML Raw for some professional work. Shooting raw, VAF filter (expensive, far from horrendous), global draw off. Hdmi monitoring is not a problem, use zebras and waveforms and everything else from the monitor. A bit of a pain on post production but fine.
My question is, how to do that with crop mode? Is it possible to frame and monitor video?

In crop mode (x5) i don't know if works with external monitor.

In normal mode use the zoom mode (x5 )and frame it, you have 2 options to frame in zoom/crop mode 5x, black & white but true framing and normal color but not real frame. Just don't know if works with external monitor.

If i film in normal mode i would use one VAF (don't have ) in crop mode don't need.

sonicgoose

No idea if I'm posting in the right place. I find this forum and its threads terribly confusing. Regardless, here's my issue:

Installed TL Dec 28 build and shot a 2-hour time-lapse on my 7D using FPS override. I've done this before on my 60D using ML with no issues. However, on my 7D when I stopped the recording, everything seemed to freeze up. I left it for a few minutes in case something was buffering or what have you, but in the end had to pull the battery to reset the camera. End result is no video on the card (Lexar Pro 400x), meaning a loss of two hours of data. It wasn't production work so I'm not overly concerned but I'd like to know if this is a bug or if the FPS override feature just isn't up to spec yet.

Also, file manager module refuses to load and crashes TL until I reboot camera, again by pulling the battery.

Rob

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ted ramasola on December 31, 2013, 10:04:12 AM
testing the dec 30 TL with MLV_SND.mo, the dngs were extracted but there is NO WAV file.

in the ML menu MLV Sound is ON. and I can see the sound levels working.

Not yet fix the audio in MLV.

1%

I'm working on audio right now (almost!). For the time lapse be wary of FPS override stopping, its mainly for raw crop mode. If you use it for time lapse the camera will lock up if video is stopped outside of the button and thats what looks like happened.

arrinkiiii

1%

Ok, working somewhat decently now. Found the wind filter mutes external mics so if you're having that problem on an earlier build turn it off.

1728x972 can handle audio continuously, the larger sizes don't seem to do well with it.