7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PressureFM

Quote from: danistuta on December 22, 2013, 07:09:30 PM
Sorry...but with last ML is it now possible to use AF during video recording on 7d?
Thanks.

There is no continuous auto-focus with these dSLR models. You still have to shoot in manual mode and that means manual focus as well.

walter_schulz

Quote from: ted ramasola on December 22, 2013, 07:47:25 AM
as I'm testing the nightly dec 21 and have no problems with it in boot up and raw recording.

I didn't report boot problems with nightly. I have boot problems with Tragic Lantern after December, 7th.
Are you talking about builds downloaded from tl.bot-fly.com=Tragic Lantern or builds.magiclantern.fm/#=Nightly?

Ciao
Walter

Rydvi

Rock Climbing in Ethiopia
Almost the whole project was shot using 7d and Magic Lantern RAW video ;-) Thanks.

enigs

Quote from: Rydvi on December 23, 2013, 02:16:02 AM
Almost the whole project was shot using 7d and Magic Lantern RAW video ;-) Thanks.

I created an account just to tell you how amazing that video is!

Okay, I lied, I also wanted to ask which build and firmware you were running?  I've got the latest alpha running great on 2.0.3 on my 7D but you're tempting me to experiment.

regrexion

So at this point, which one is better using Magic Lantern? 7D or 60D?
7D uses CF cards with more data transfer speed (60mb/s) against the 60D with SD card (20Mb/s) and a bigger buffer size...

edwmotion

Quote from: regrexion on December 24, 2013, 12:22:15 AM
So at this point, which one is better using Magic Lantern? 7D or 60D?
7D uses CF cards with more data transfer speed (60mb/s) against the 60D with SD card (20Mb/s) and a bigger buffer size...

is that a serious question?

:o

regrexion

Sorry I've wrote the question in a bad way...I know that CF with more transfer speed is better of course, but with a smaller buffer you should record less seconds. So the question is: 7D (more speed/smaller buffer) or 60D (less speed/very big buffer)?

nick.p

Much better off with speed but I think the 7d has the bigger buffer

edwmotion

Quote from: regrexion on December 24, 2013, 09:18:58 AM
Sorry I've wrote the question in a bad way...I know that CF with more transfer speed is better of course, but with a smaller buffer you should record less seconds. So the question is: 7D (more speed/smaller buffer) or 60D (less speed/very big buffer)?

7D 80/90MB/s 380MB buffer.

Let's put it this way.

Best raw cameras...

1- 5D Mark III
2- 7D
3- 5D Mark II
4- 50D

Sorry but the 60D is not even close, you can get 1080p and 2K countinuous on the 7D.

javyelow

Hi! i put the new version of magic latern in my camera but i cant find fsp overwrite now?¿ where is it??

what is the new things of this version??

thanks!!

regrexion

Thanks for the reply Edwmotion...I know it was a noob question but there are so many threads on this forum that after reading 40-50 pages I had lot of chaos in my mind :D

tonybeccar

Quote from: Rydvi on December 23, 2013, 02:16:02 AM

Awesome! Any chance you can uplaod it to vimeo? Or the original? Youtube compresses WAY too much... Did you use a VAF filter??

Cheers!

Haruki

Hello there & Merry Christmas everyone!

I have a short question:  :o
I just tested the latest nightly (tragiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec25.7D203) and noticed that autoETTR automatically switches to movie mode and starts recording a movie, even if the cam is set to picture mode. With the last build i used (which was from 31.Aug i think) i could press SET to activate autoETTR, then the live view screen would turn on, autoETTR would do its thing and
then the live view screen would turn off again afterwards so that i could take a pic  ;D. Is that not possible anymore  :'( or am I being dumb and missing some obvious setting  :-\?
thx

jhex6

Hi there,

I'm using the latest TL release on the 7D and have had great results so far at 1728x972. I've heard people mention that 1080p is possible, but I can't select it from the menu. I understand you can reach 2.5k when using cropped mode, but just wanted to check if it wasn't possible to go beyond 1728x972 in normal mode.

Cheers and thanks for all the incredible work  :)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: jhex6 on December 26, 2013, 08:50:32 PMjust wanted to check if it wasn't possible to go beyond 1728x972 in normal mode.

Nope. There is only one ML-cam able to run uncropped 1080p RAW video and that's 5D Mark III.
Read http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0
-> "Max resolution
     1:1 Liveview
     no crop"

Ciao
Walter

jhex6

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 26, 2013, 08:55:29 PM
Nope. There is only one ML-cam able to run uncropped 1080p RAW video and that's 5D Mark III.

Ta

danistuta

Sorry where is fps override in the last build of 25 december?
Thanks a lot.

thoma

Hi Everyone,

Been away for a few months but I found some time and got a 1000x card finally. So, i had a few questions (tried reading the whole thread but it's a bit scattered...)

1. I got a transcend 32gb 1000x - anyone have experience with these?

2. What is the latest stable build?  I'm talking continuous recording in 1x mode - minimal or no pink frames, FPS override working

3. I shot something yesterday and my last take crapped out during recording and now raw2dng won't unpack the .RAW file.  Is there a way to recover any dngs from this file or is it a lost cause?  I would normally let it go but i think it was a really great shot...

Thank in advance - and thanks for the work everyone has done on this project

danistuta

I downloaded this one:
magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec22.7D203
What's differences from Tragic Lantern?!?!

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

danistuta

Which one best for 7d? Which one and version do you suggest to load on 7d? Thanks.

thoma

Thanks for those links, Renato.  I should have been more specific about the build question I suppose...

A better way of asking would be - what is the latest build that people have found stable in the wild?  I installed back in august so i know alot of work has been done since then around FPS override, minimizing pink frame, getting continuous, etc etc etc.  If I just grabbed the latest 'semi-stable' build would I be in good shape? 

Also, if I were to grab the ML nightly instead of the latest TL build  - what would i be missing out on, if anything?  I've tried following this saga but i'm not sure what the real functional differences are since most posts only allude to the differences or talk generally about 'the dangers' of TL and the politics of development.

Thanks!

evilash

Thoma, I actually have the same 32gb Transcend card. I've been using the nightly core Magic Lantern 7D build over the last few weeks without issue.

I've been able to get continuous recording with the Transcend at full horizontal resolution, but I've actually been shooting 2.35:1. I like the look of it and saving those pixels cropped out of the 16:9 frame seems to really help push down the bitrate to something the Transcend can handle. I've tried some full 16:9 captures, but for the most part they error out pretty quickly. No such problem at 2.35:1, I was actually out at a wedding today and filled the whole 32gb card without a problem. And I believe that was on the nightly December 26th build.

thoma