7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

Quote from: jsoucy on December 10, 2013, 08:52:49 PM
thank's but I was not talking about raw but in h264

Damn... I think u talking about raw, since this is a raw thread. Why i don't know...

feureau

Speaking of H.264, since there's rarely any traffic to the 7D ML development thread anymore:

Does anyone know what happened to the video hack mode? The one that allows you to set GOP to 1, making the 7D capable of shooting All-I?

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on December 11, 2013, 01:43:45 AM
Speaking of H.264, since there's rarely any traffic to the 7D ML development thread anymore:

Hi feureau, good to see you  :D  Maybe this thread need more voices/ideas/testers/reports...

Quote from: feureau on December 11, 2013, 01:43:45 AM
Does anyone know what happened to the video hack mode? The one that allows you to set GOP to 1, making the 7D capable of shooting All-I?

Quote from: 1% on November 29, 2013, 04:16:43 AM
all-I is possible on some builds but it needs signed images and that is a pain in the ass, I took it off when moving the flush rate/gop too fast locked the camera.

I still use a lot of h.264 for "paying" gig's. Having all-i would be good indeed. But is what we got from 7D, at least for now...  8)

feureau

Hi, Arinkii. Good to see you too.

The only problem with it was that:

1. It doesn't save the configuration. That is, every time you turn on the camera, you have to dial in your settings.

2. Every time you turn video hack on, it will disable the canon audio automatically.

3. the flush rate is limited to 50, so you can't All-I at 60fps.

I never found the "locking the camera if it moves the flush rate/gop too fast" problem though. Caveat: You have to set the flush rate according to the framerate, or it WILL crash/lock up the camera. i.e. flush at 24 if you shoot 23.976

It used to be on TL up til about, what last month? And it worked well if you know what to dial in.

1%

Well all I is gop1... and gop being separate in theory would work like flush = whatever and gop = 1. It works on 600D/EOSM/etc but I'm not sure if the cache hack method worked on 7D ever... when correctly done your all-I files have meta data that reflects as much. (M?N?=1). Then the flush rate dumps the frames faster so you can have larger ones...

ie all 2MB I frames written every 3 vs <1MB I and 500K Px11 then write and make another I frame.
Easy to fill the buffer or force lower quality on the 2nd one.

Viktor Fenster

Since tl.bot-fly.com is down till 2014:
tragiclantern-Tragic.2013Dec10.7D203
http://goo.gl/Ci5xnG

mucher

I don't know if it is appropriate to say it here, but after upgrade to 7D's latest firmware 2.0.5 from Canon, I was no longer able to boot into ML, the camera was just dead. I had to  pull the battery for 10 seconds to revive that thing (without ML card in it). I deleted the ML directory and autoexec.bin from the root directory, but still could not boot with the camera, so the only solution is to format the card before put it into the camera, but I have loads of photos and movies in the card which I don't want to delete for now.

Any remedy? I am not sure downflash the camera to earlier versions would help.

So prewarning: if you want to keep ML on 7D, don't flash to Canon's firmware 2.0.5.

edwmotion

Quote from: mucher on December 12, 2013, 05:11:17 AM
I don't know if it is appropriate to say it here, but after upgrade to 7D's latest firmware 2.0.5 from Canon, I was no longer able to boot into ML, the camera was just dead. I had to  pull the battery for 10 seconds to revive that thing (without ML card in it). I deleted the ML directory and autoexec.bin from the root directory, but still could not boot with the camera, so the only solution is to format the card before put it into the camera, but I have loads of photos and movies in the card which I don't want to delete for now.

So prewarning: if you want to keep ML on 7D, don't flash to Canon's firmware 2.0.5.

why did you do that?

stevefal

QuoteI am not sure downflash the camera to earlier versions would help.

According to several sites announcing 2.0.5, once upgraded, downgrading is not possible.
Steve Falcon

Walter Schulz

Well, that would be a first. Canon's former statements "there is no way back" after firmware upgrade have been falsified.
EDIT: Just read in another forum that's the case here, too. Cam won't work with ML after upgrade. Downgraded and everything is working again.

Ciao
Walter

Pelican

That is the normal behavior. Nothing unexpected.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pelican

Quote from: stevefal on December 12, 2013, 06:27:20 AM
According to several sites announcing 2.0.5, once upgraded, downgrading is not possible.
They stated it at every firmware upgrade, but that was not true.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Pelican on December 12, 2013, 11:55:50 AM

Good to know that  :)

stevefal

Glad to know too. That would be evil.
Steve Falcon

DragonFlame

Does the camera boot without the card?
If you don't want to lose the files off the card but still want to format just back them up on you computer and then put them back in after a format.
Why did you bother updating to 2.0.5? the update doesn't really add anything unless your planning on transferring files wirelessly.

blackjack102

I still use one percent's 9/10/13 built on my 7D. Recently, I started to shoot in photograph and noticed that my zone auto focus doesn't work at all. However it works on single-point auto focus. Is this known issue? I turned all modules off, so I can use canon functions instead magic lantern. Is there a way to get it work again without uninstall magic lantern? I considered to update my 7D to tragic lantern. After, I read the post messages randomly and felt that I am not certain to use new version.

Pelican

The autofocus problem is a known issue but it's not connected to TL all the 7D ML versions can cause that.

a1ex

Do you know a way to reproduce it? Opening a thread for this bug should be a good idea IMO; I don't have a clear picture of when it happens and what the symptoms are.

Pelican

Unfortunately nobody could reproduce the bug and it is totally unpredictable.
The symptom is the AF goes crazy, like not focusing to the target but hunting on the whole focus range and stops at the nearest point (even if the focus hunting is off). Sometimes the change of the AF mode helps but sometimes you have to remove ML completely (and also remove battery) to get back the working AF.
That's the main reason why I'm not using ML in my photography, I lost some nice action because this bug so when I go to the field I always turn off ML.

a1ex

If you start the camera by pressing SET (that is, loading ML but keeping it inactive), does it help?

(of course, if it's unpredictable, you may need a week or a month to find answer)

But if this helps, it can be solved.

Pelican

Quote from: Pelican on December 12, 2013, 11:55:50 AM
I've just downgraded my camera from 2.0.5 to 2.0.3. There is no restriction at all.

blackjack102

Quote from: Pelican on December 13, 2013, 10:01:11 AM
Unfortunately nobody could reproduce the bug and it is totally unpredictable.
The symptom is the AF goes crazy, like not focusing to the target but hunting on the whole focus range and stops at the nearest point (even if the focus hunting is off). Sometimes the change of the AF mode helps but sometimes you have to remove ML completely (and also remove battery) to get back the working AF.
That's the main reason why I'm not using ML in my photography, I lost some nice action because this bug so when I go to the field I always turn off ML.

I see. I decided to format on another memory card to shoot but found that I have newer version on another memory card. I tried AF out again, and it worked again. I switched back to older memory card with the problem and removed my battery. Now, AF works again on both versions. Unpredictable  ;D

Walter Schulz

I'm able to reproduce the bug. Seems to be related with lens change.

7D, TL-card inserted, power on all the time:
Sigma 18-125 mounted, IS off: Shutter half pressed -> Focus ok.
Sigma removed, Canon EF 100/2.8 IS L mounted (IS off): Shutter half pressed -> Focus ok.
Canon removed, Sigma 18-125 mounted. shutter half pressed -> Focus hunt. Have to remove battery to make AF work again with this lens. Mounted 18-55 IS II works fine *without* battery removal.

Works fine without CF-card inserted.

Will test with some other lenses.

Ciao, Walter

Walter Schulz

This is fun ...

TL-card mounted and repeated the procedure with Sigma 18-125 and Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM and it works fine.
Couldn't believe this and retried with Sigma 18-125 and Canon EF 100/2.8 IS L and ... focus hunt again.

Ciao
Walter

Walter Schulz

TL-card mounted.
1) Old nifty 50/1,8 II mounted: AF works.
2) Canon EF 100/2.8 IS L mounted: AF works
3) 50/1.8 II mounted: Focus hunt

Tested without card: AF works.

Ciao
Walter