7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris bouk

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 03, 2013, 05:15:54 PM
Good question. Maybe you must un-load the module that makes the raw player (play_mo module?)
thank you arrinkiiii I will try it.....I was so disappointed by this thing....when I have no RAW videos in my card, everything is simple!
I will give it a try and reply!

1%

It was supposed to be a feature... you press play and review your raw shots and or delete them. Nobody likes it?

chris bouk

Quote from: 1% on December 03, 2013, 05:41:02 PM
It was supposed to be a feature... you press play and review your raw shots and or delete them. Nobody likes it?
1% of course and it is a good thought, but if you have also pictures in your card, it's a little bit....complicated...I should say...I want to try if creating folders into the card, one for the photos and recording the videos in another folder, maybe could be easier....? ? ? I don't know, I will try it tonight or tomorrow morning...(Greece) and I will reply...Thank you for your effort to do this magic world of Lantern!

1%

I think its better to block it if LV is off in MLV play.. thats what got me when using it. If raw is on and shooting stills you can't review your stills.

hdclip

Quote from: arrinkiiii on December 03, 2013, 12:09:30 PM
Thanks hdclip  :D   ...but i want to try the new build, from yesterday  :D

For what i remember, you change in the canon menu and then change in ML menu the fps and lock the fps... Wend i try it i did this and everything went alright.
Yes but the aspect ratio doesnt found ok...if you put 16/9 is not really 16/9, you must to crop on post... littlebit confusion... :-[
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

pest01

hallo 1%, maybe if it's possible it would be nice double clicking the play button to preview the raw footage and a normal press to bring up the basic preview as it should. I believe it would be more common for everyone like this if its possible :)

jman

Benchmark with SanDisk Extreme Pro 160 mb/s 1067 cf card.

jayzed

Actually, and I'm sorry if I'm alone here, I like the system where RAW is viewed when the camera is used for RAW and standard images (photos and H264 video) when it's not. What I've been doing is use one card (Lexar x1000) for raw video and an older card (Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s) for other stuff. I understand this might financially be a problem for some people but for me it means focus on what I'm doing. All it requires is a boot and card swap, easier even than going into the menus from an idiot proofing point of view.

And jman, nice benchmarks. I've not concentrated on benchmarking my camera, did it once ages ago and didn't pay much attention. I suspect any trace of the benchmarks are long gone, it was several versions ago and I've reformatted my card and reinstalled several times since then. Does it help, or is it for information only? I haven't been unhappy with performance at all. I switch global draw off, use a 128MB startup file, and only use frame override when I'm playing with crop mode. I was using MLV for a while but I like Rawanizer for getting the files to my HDD so I've switched back to old fashioned RAW as Rawanizer doesn't recognise MLV. I also have more options for the odd occasion my files are a bit finicky, I have a couple of MLVs that aren't read by mlv2dng and it's the only option on PC that I know about.

britom

Since the server is down, i posted the single-buffer build here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987

Please post your results so 1% can analize them
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

arrinkiiii

Quote from: britom on December 03, 2013, 10:04:14 PM
Since the server is down, i posted the single-buffer build here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987

Please post your results so 1% can analize them

Thanks britom  :)

1%

Yea and don't forget to enable it first. It still allocates all memory but only uses the canon "1" buffers.

jman

Quote from: jayzed on December 03, 2013, 09:26:04 PM
Actually, and I'm sorry if I'm alone here, I like the system where RAW is viewed when the camera is used for RAW and standard images (photos and H264 video) when it's not. What I've been doing is use one card (Lexar x1000) for raw video and an older card (Sandisk Extreme 60MB/s) for other stuff. I understand this might financially be a problem for some people but for me it means focus on what I'm doing. All it requires is a boot and card swap, easier even than going into the menus from an idiot proofing point of view.

And jman, nice benchmarks. I've not concentrated on benchmarking my camera, did it once ages ago and didn't pay much attention. I suspect any trace of the benchmarks are long gone, it was several versions ago and I've reformatted my card and reinstalled several times since then. Does it help, or is it for information only? I haven't been unhappy with performance at all. I switch global draw off, use a 128MB startup file, and only use frame override when I'm playing with crop mode. I was using MLV for a while but I like Rawanizer for getting the files to my HDD so I've switched back to old fashioned RAW as Rawanizer doesn't recognise MLV. I also have more options for the odd occasion my files are a bit finicky, I have a couple of MLVs that aren't read by mlv2dng and it's the only option on PC that I know about.
Hey jayzed....I'm very happy with the Sept 12 build. No problems at all. I can shoot all 1x raw with global draw ON continuous at full res. With crop I can go 2048 at 2:35 continuous. So not bad. I'm not quite sure what these recent builds offer, but I'm from the if it's not broken don't fix it school. Cheers.

kirklasalle

Quote from: 1% on November 29, 2013, 04:16:43 AM
Change aspect ratio away from 16:9.. you can do 1728x1152...

scratch audio will knock down your write rate too much to make it worth it, even low rate audio. even more fun when it causes pink frames

still on vaca till the 10th.

Ahhhh...   did not know I could do that. Ty. Will give that a shot myself.   
...Sync audio really isn't so bad but it never hurts to ask  ;D

Thanks again... enjoy the vacation!

hdclip

There is no  way for me to do 50 fps, always the frame is Deformed...regardless of the aspect ratio...:(

a1ex

If you have trouble with such simple things (like resizing an image in post), you probably should not use ML at all.

Try reading some sticky topics, for example this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5472.0

hdclip

I'm sorry, not my intention...I only expose a problem that I think is important...But if this forum is only for developers may be you must to select better the incription of the people.
Thank's and sorry again.

humbs

Quote from: a1ex on December 04, 2013, 10:53:28 AM
If you have trouble with such simple things (like resizing an image in post), you probably should not use ML at all.

Try reading some sticky topics, for example this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5472.0

Anyone can use ML, is open. What kind of moderator are you?
Moderators are polite and educated.
Contain yourself my "friend".
Kick me if you whant, but we no deserve this kind of attitude, even if it comes from a moderator.

humbs

Midphase

Quote from: humbs on December 05, 2013, 06:29:33 PM
Kick me if you whant, but we no deserve this kind of attitude, even if it comes from a moderator.

First of all a1ex is not a "moderator", he's an Admin and one of the main programmers of ML, he deserves massive amount of respect for everything he's done and not a primer on how a moderator should behave.

Secondly, he's got a solid point. ML is not some plug-and-play toy and it's most definitely not meant to be used by just about anyone. It's a complex piece of software that requires some prior knowledge in the technology behind it, and a knack for this sort of things. ML is open and free, just like Blender or Python...but that doesn't mean that someone who can barely use iMovie should go get them and start messing with them, it would only result in frustration.

There is tons...TONS of information available on this site and on other places on everything you could possibly want to know about using ML, what is possible, what is not possible and why. Posting questions that have already been answered a few hundred times or asking for functionality that has been already dismissed as not possible is not helpful.

Midphase

Sorry...posted my reply before the new reply was replied....anyhoo, you get the idea.  :P

Midphase

Quote from: jman on December 04, 2013, 12:47:00 AM
Hey jayzed....I'm very happy with the Sept 12 build. No problems at all. I can shoot all 1x raw with global draw ON continuous at full res. With crop I can go 2048 at 2:35 continuous.

Global draw on Crop is not a good idea then? You shooting at 2048x872? How fast is your CF card?

Just gathering some info for a friend with a 7D and an itch to shoot his next project in raw.

jman

Quote from: Midphase on December 05, 2013, 07:14:54 PM
Global draw on Crop is not a good idea then? You shooting at 2048x872? How fast is your CF card?

Just gathering some info for a friend with a 7D and an itch to shoot his next project in raw.
I just retested in 5x crop. I can do, as you say 2048 x 872 at 2:35:1 in 5x with global draw ON. The card reads 73.6 mb/s on continuous. The benchmark pic for the card you will see on this page (84) under jman.
The card is a sandisk extreme pro 160 mb/s 1067x. Cheers.

DragonFlame

Quote from: humbs on December 05, 2013, 06:29:33 PM

Firstly the 7d version of ML is still in alpha, he is correct when he said that you probably shouldn't be using it as there are bound to be issues that will require you to have advanced knowledge in post production, RAW itself requires a hell of a lot of knowledge itself.
Not sure why people act as if they paid for Magic Lantern, everyone needs to remember that the devs here give this to you for free, we should be thankful not demanding, do not act like the devs owe you something or should be polite in any way.

I do most of my work in after effects, a lot of people on this forum seem to spend a lot of time converting and resizing footage in other software to make it compatible which I can understand your frustration if that's the case as it can take a lot of time, it's why I recommend AE as it's as simple as importing the DNG sequence and scaling it up by around 11%, it literally takes a few seconds to do and works perfectly.

1%

You can try global draw + single buffering and see what happens to speed and pink frames... or frame before and have the whole deal shut off while recording. If you're not messing with focus or anything else while recording you'll be ok.