7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirklasalle

Quote from: javyelow on November 27, 2013, 12:50:46 AM
Hi everyone!! Any way to have moré than 1728x972 without the crop factor?? Regards!

Really it's only a 12% scale... upscale to 1080 and looks just as good.
In Premiere Pro I just set my sequence 1080p, and then in the effects controls > Motion > Scale > 112
It's that easy.

So from my point of view I have 1080p RAW from my 7D now and, and the current nightly build I'm using is as stable as I could ask for. So, I'm extremely thankful to all that contributed and especially 1% for taking the 7D reigns and riding it!

On another note...
If there's ever a possibility to get scratch audio, I would be even more thankful ;-) If we could get audio and I mean the audio only has to be of a minimum standard... even as low as 8,000Hz with the lowest bit rate... I'm talking about making the scratch audio literally "scratch audio" so as not to take too much away from from the benchmark speed of my card. One of my (and many others I'm sure) Christmas wishes for Merry ol' Saint 1%  ;-)

oh and Happy Thanksgiving.

jayzed

Cheers DFM. Excellent info on the ACR noise and sharpening. As recommended, I'll keep it to a dull roar and use AE for anything else.

OSCA LEE

Quote from: britom on November 24, 2013, 08:57:59 AM
Does somebody knows what happened to dual iso video on the 7d?

Please answer this man...his question is a very great one...

immi

I face a problem. For recordings that exceed 3.99 GB the recorded file becomes unusable. Is there any corrections that were done in the recent releases.

Walter Schulz

With FAT32 there is a 4 GB file size limitation. Therefore your camera will splitt longer recordings into 2 (or more) files which have to be merged manually on your computer.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg87812#msg87812

jayzed

Er, I've been a numbskull. Should have been putting the post-pro posts in a different thread. One of the raw post-production ones :-) Apologies for the noise, the excitement got the better of me.

hdclip

Quote from: immi on November 28, 2013, 07:45:25 AM
I face a problem. For recordings that exceed 3.99 GB the recorded file becomes unusable. Is there any corrections that were done in the recent releases.
Yesterday I record two minutes and generate 2 files, I extract with the last build of RAW2Cdng and it work's perfect...3017frames...  ;D
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

immi

Thank You
@ Walter
Perfect Solution  :)

immi

@ hdclip is it?
I too tried the raw2cdng but it works only after combining the files into a single file.
Does that raw2cdng convert all the frames from both the files?
Can you give the link for that version of raw2cdng.

thanks

hdclip

Quote from: immi on November 28, 2013, 02:27:38 PM
@ hdclip is it?
I too tried the raw2cdng but it works only after combining the files into a single file.
Does that raw2cdng convert all the frames from both the files?
Can you give the link for that version of raw2cdng.

thanks
http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/

The first file is RAW, the second, my computer recognizes it as RAR but is the extension of the first, when you get in there RAW2Cdng automatically detects and extract both two in a single folder.
The version is 1.4.6

javyelow

Mi first raw video test!

colored with davinci resolve

nice results for me!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqsoWSkqoUQ

hdclip

Quote from: javyelow on November 28, 2013, 05:36:01 PM
Mi first raw video test!

colored with davinci resolve

nice results for me!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqsoWSkqoUQ
Hola Javier!!!!esta guapo el test...!!!!por fin hablar un poco en cristiano...jejeje
Oye, para el tema correccion de detalle y ruido, el Resolve te va bien???yo es que no consigo dejar de usar el Ligthroom o Photoshop, me da que el Resolve y el Magiclantern RAW todavia no se entienden del todo bien no???otra cosa que me impulso a decidirme por el otro Workflow fue los espacios de color y Gamma, aunque mas el color...el Rec709 es muy contrastado no??tu como has resuelto estas cosillas en Resolve???
Un saludo y un placer...Ciao!!!

1%

Quote1728x972

Change aspect ratio away from 16:9.. you can do 1728x1152 which is taller than 1080P. Wider then you need crop.

For other stuff...
dual iso video probably not likely, this generation of cam only has 1 register in video mode.
all-I is possible on some builds but it needs signed images and that is a pain in the ass, I took it off when moving the flush rate/gop too fast locked the camera.
10x, you don't really want to fix it.. the raw image is the same as 5x and its the only chance at real hacked mode with LV dead... at least another 2-3MB/s.. 50D can't do this, nor can 5DII

scratch audio will knock down your write rate too much to make it worth it, even low rate audio. even more fun when it causes pink frames

still on vaca till the 10th.

immi

@ hdclip

Thank you very much for the raw2cdng link. I tried coloring my raw footage using speedgrade with the 5diii look preset, works perfectly fine.

Has the sound recording issue in RAW been fixed?

hdclip

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on November 29, 2013, 04:16:43 AM

Change aspect ratio away from 16:9.. you can do 1728x1152 which is taller than 1080P. Wider then you need crop.

dual iso video probably not likely, this generation of cam only has 1 register in video mode.

all-I is possible on some builds but it needs signed images and that is a pain in the ass, I took it off when moving the flush rate/gop too fast locked the camera.

scratch audio will knock down your write rate too much to make it worth it, even low rate audio. even more fun when it causes pink frames

still on vaca till the 10th.

Thanks 1%      Im sorry for iso-video and for the ALL-I   :'(   ...but it's life   :D  I hope you are enjoying vacations at maximum power  8)  Let's gooo....

jman

Quote from: immi on November 29, 2013, 10:26:45 AM
@ hdclip

Thank you very much for the raw2cdng link. I tried coloring my raw footage using speedgrade with the 5diii look preset, works perfectly fine.

Has the sound recording issue in RAW been fixed?
I have had no problems using an H4N and syncing to the camera beep in post. ML beep is fine to sync to.

DFM

Quote from: jman on November 29, 2013, 11:45:58 PM
I have had no problems using an H4N and syncing to the camera beep in post. ML beep is fine to sync to.

Provided it's audible, i.e. the camera is in range, and you're only using one camera.

Slating each scene is much easier and can lock any number of cameras to any number of audio tracks. It has a bunch of other advantages that matter for RAW shooting (shot info on screen, whibal targets, etc.). Stick a ColorChecker card to the slate and you have everything you need to match footage from different cameras, as you can dump that DNG frame into XRite's software and create a color profile that normalizes each clip.

hdclip

Quote from: DFM on November 30, 2013, 11:23:28 AM
Provided it's audible, i.e. the camera is in range, and you're only using one camera.

Slating each scene is much easier and can lock any number of cameras to any number of audio tracks. It has a bunch of other advantages that matter for RAW shooting (shot info on screen, whibal targets, etc.). Stick a ColorChecker card to the slate and you have everything you need to match footage from different cameras, as you can dump that DNG frame into XRite's software and create a color profile that normalizes each clip.
Hello!!!!I would like to know, wich XRITE do you use to create color profile???thank's!!!

chris bouk

Hello!
I have some problems while playback my images in my camera...
always wants to upload the video files, (RAW video) and I can't see the pictures....I have to wait for the video, finish the upload and then watch the photos....but sometimes, I can't even find the images in my card!
what's wrong? I have all modules on....
is there an easier way to see my photos taken....and do not mess with all the video files...?
If no video file is in my card, there is no problem....
any suggestion?

chris bouk

...I found that after disable the RAW video capability, you can watch the images as before ML...so simple!
it's very interesting that you have to search and experiment for any new move in ML menus....
amazing!

chris bouk

hey guys...
what are these files : M30-2311.IDX & M30-2311.MLV that  are in my EOS7D folder ...? I have some pictures taken yesterday and 2 video files RAW, one simple and one testing about 2K and today that I have time to process them I found these files, that have never saw again....
any help?

CaronteGF

Quote from: chris bouk on December 01, 2013, 11:05:14 AM
hey guys...
what are these files : M30-2311.IDX & M30-2311.MLV that  are in my EOS7D folder ...? I have some pictures taken yesterday and 2 video files RAW, one simple and one testing about 2K and today that I have time to process them I found these files, that have never saw again....
any help?

Short Answer: The files ARE the video Raw. To see it, you have to process it with mlv2dng.
Long Asnwer: Read the thread. It´s very long, but there´s a lot of usefull info.

jayzed

Thrilled to bits with the new/old camera I have with 972p raw, I decided to push the envelope a bit so I've tried the crop mode. I was getting a reasonable number of frames at 1920x818 with a Lexar 1000x card. However, I have been disappointed with the lack of sharpness compared to some of the examples I've seen on Vimeo. It just occurred to me however - I use a VAF7D (which I highly recommend for the 1278x972 or standard formats) and my limited understanding of the filter is that it's designed specifically for the 7D system spitting out 1080p using the default Canon setup. Perhaps the filter is not agreeing with the crop mode? I'll test (probably next weekend) but I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this? It's not the lens - 17-55 2.8, which is nicely sharp as long as I get the focus right. Maybe it's just my rubbish skilz?

While I'm here (yes, yes, off topic again but I'm already adding to the noise with the stuff above) I've been sneaking in a few of the ACR basic adjustments again as I prefer what I can do with my images compared to the other tools I have. No flickering but the examples I've been working on haven't had significant changes in lighting throughout the shot. And I've been very moderate. I just haven't been happy with what I've been getting from Cineform Studio Prem (using matrix numbers from this forum), or Speedgrade, or Resolve Lite using RAWs or DNGs - so far. Again, could be user error. But there's something to be said for getting pleasing images with minimal effort/talent. Well, relatively minimal.

chris bouk

Quote from: CaronteGF on December 01, 2013, 05:28:57 PM
Short Answer: The files ARE the video Raw. To see it, you have to process it with mlv2dng.
Long Asnwer: Read the thread. It´s very long, but there´s a lot of usefull info.
the MLV is RAW video file....but the IDX isn't....what is that?